Who is Domtar?
• Largest manufacturer and marketer of uncoated
freesheet paper in North America
– Second largest in the world based on production capacity
• 9,000 dedicated employees
• 13 pulp and paper mills, as well as 23 distribution
facilities located across the US and Canada
• Company owns and operates adult incontinence
product manufacturing and distribution facilities
A Leading Innovative Fiber-based Technology Company
distribute a wide
variety of fiber-
UFS paper in
World class wood
marketer of a
complete line of
Domtar in Arkansas
• Owns and operates the Ashdown Paper and Pulp Mill in Ashdown, AR
– Located to the north of the Red River
– 2553 acre site in Little River County
– 985 employees
• Products and Capacity
– 781,000 tons/year uncoated freesheet from three paper machines
(end use - copy paper, recycle, forms bond, etc.)
– 810,000 tonnes annual pulp production
• Includes 86,000 tonnes of mill trade pulp
• Wood Consumption (annual)
– Softwood 1.5 million tons
– Hardwood 2.0 million tons
• Supporting Facilities
– Woodyard (long log chipping, chip unloading, chip storage)
– Pulping and Bleaching
– Power Generation
– Biomass, Coal, Oil, and Natural Gas Multi-fuel Power Boilers
– Chemical Recovery Operations
Regional GeographyRegional Geography
Relationships and Procurement…
• Relationships are key to our success as an
– 1100 Forestry workers.
– 500+ deliveries received daily.
– Business relationship - smoother transactions.
– Relationships are important through out the ranks.
– Open for deliveries 24/7 for convenience.
Relationships and Procurement
• Capitol Improvements in the Procurement side of the
– Woodyard re-investment
• Chip dumps rebuilt to improve unloading reliability (2010).
• New entrance and Scalehouse (2013)
– Constantly working to improve unloading times.
• Construction of new portal crane currently underway (2013).
– Host an annual Truck Driver Appreciation Day.
– Spend a lot of time on Face to Face communications.
• Listen to suppliers needs and try to accommodate when possible.
– Honor commitments we make.
– Inform suppliers in advance of scheduled maintenance outages.
– Produced a driver safety video and added new signage on woodyard. 7
Community Involvement of the Ashdown MillCommunity Involvement of the Ashdown Mill
Ashdown Mill’s On-Going Focus
• Safety and Environment
– We must excel
• Quality Products
– Must be second to none
• Grade Development
– Work with Customers
• Cost Structure
– Strive to be best in North America
• Cost Reduction
• Productivity Improvement
– Thinking out of the box
Path Forward … Stay Competitive