presents ‘Normally Distributed’11 00 PM Thu 23 June 2011 @ A2 Teams of 2 A Générale Quiz on RAND(0,M) topics! QM: Arif
Rules• Thou might find some hints from some of the titles of the questions.• Thou shalt scribe your answers legibly.• Thou shalt not question the QM’s KQ !• Thou shalt find a partner or else go solo.• Thou shalt mention your names/Team nameQuiz (etymology acc. to one school of thought) : (Latin)Qui es, meaning "Who are you?
1. (Are IQ’s normally distributed?)• X is a best-selling and controversial 1994 book by the Harvard psychologist Richard J. Herrnstein and American Enterprise Institute political scientist Charles Murray.• According to Charles Murray, “When the late Richard Herrnstein and I published X eleven years ago, the furore over its discussion of ethnic differences in IQ was so intense that most people who have not read the book still think it was about race. Since then, I have deliberately not published anything about group differences in IQ, mostly to give the real topic of X— the role of intelligence in reshaping America’s class structure—a chance to surface.”• Identify X
Ans• The Bell Curve
2. (It takes three to tango!) Whose organization chart?
Ans.• ‘Triad’ structure (Triad Society)• describes many branches of Chinese criminal organizations based in Hong Kong, Vietnam, Macau, Taiwan, China, and also in countries with significant Chinese populations• The famous movie ‘Infernal affairs’ deals with the triads of Hong Kong
3. (Bloody Job!)In Anglo-Indian English, the term X referred to any festivalor entertainment, but especially ceremonies of theMourning of Muharram. In origin the term is a corruptionby British soldiers of "Ya Hasan! Ya Hosain!" which isrepeatedly cried by Shia Muslims as they beat their cheststhroughout the procession of the Muharram. Yule andBurnell were looking for a catchy title for their work of aglossary and decided upon this since it was a "typical anddelightful example" of the type of the highlydomesticated words in the dictionary and at the sametime conveyed "a veiled intimation of dual authorship".What is X?
Ans• Hobson-Jobson:• a historical dictionary of Anglo- Indian words and terms from Indian languages which came into use during the British rule of India
Ans• All are winners of The Fields Medal, (officially known as International Medal for Outstanding Discoveries in Mathematics)
5. (Magna Opera)• Maradona and Sachin Tendulkar belong to an exclusive club of sportspeople with respect to a literature aspect. What is it?
Ans• Only two sportsman to have been honoured with an Opus published on their story• Kraken Opus is a publishing company which produces premium, outsized editions on subjects including sports teams and celebrities , and on broader topics
Ans• A snapshot of the menu from El Bulli (,a Michelin 3-star restaurant near the town of Roses, Catalonia, Spain, r un by celebrated chef Ferran Adrià. It has been described as "the most imaginative generator of haute cuisine on the planet” and rated the best restaurant!
7. (The good, the bad and the revolutionary!)You must have heard of Spaghetti Westerns but what is the namegiven to the subgenre of Italian "Spaghetti Westerns" (dating from themid 1960s to early 1970s), which were set in and around Mexico anddealt with overtly political themes?
Ans• Zapata Westerns after the Mexican revolutionary :Emiliano Zapata Salazar
8.(Word Play anyone?)• “Bringing Enjoyment and Quality to life ”. Which company has this slogan?
Ans• BenQ• Bringing Enjoyment and Quality to life
9 . Connect to a marketing technique
Ans• Guerilla marketing : an unconventional system of promotions that relies on time, energy and imagination rather than a big marketing budget.• In the words of the Father of Guerrilla Marketing, Jay Conrad Levinson, this describes guerrilla marketing:• "Im referring to the soul and essence of guerrilla marketing which remain as always -- achieving conventional goals, such as profits and joy, with unconventional methods, such as investing energy instead of money.
10.• Exclusive list of two German songs .Funda?
Ans.• Only Beatles’ songs to be recorded in a foreign language by them
11.(War is Raw)• Logicomix is “a comic book about the quest for logical certainty in mathematics. The story spans the decades from the late 19th century to World War II, a period when the nature of mathematical truth was being furiously debated.”The main protagonist of the story is X. Who is X?
Ans• Bertrand Russel
12. (Go,ogle at these!)
Ans• Google doodle
13.(Be afraid, be very afraid!)• This phrase originates from a 1996 book, X and Y: Achieving Rapid Dominance by Harlan Ullman and James Wade and published by the US National Defense University. According to the book:“To affect the will of the adversary, Rapid Dominance willapply a variety of approaches and techniques to achievethe necessary level of X and Y at the appropriate strategicand military leverage points. This means thatpsychological and intangible, as well as physical andconcrete effects beyond the destruction of enemy forcesand supporting military infrastructure, will have to beachieved.”
Ans• Shock and Awe
14. Connect“The hues of youth upon a brow of woe,which Man deemed old two thousand years ago,match me such marvel save in Eastern clime,a rose-red city half as old as time.”--John William Burgon
Ans• Petra in Jordan• Song by Petra (the Christian rock band)
15.(Is Calypso cricket burning?) Identify the guy!
Ans• Chris Gayle at the premier of Fire in Babylon
16. (It takes a lot to tonga!) Funda?
Ans• Historic Picture shows how the first satellite dish in the country that helped a technology company set up round-the-clock communication link with its US offices arrived on a bullock-driven cart in 1985 in Millers road office, Bangalore of Texas Instruments . It helped TI become the first multinational to set up a software design centre in India and pioneer the country’s IT revolution 25 years ago.
17 . A, B and C are in fact related to each otherA’s words:• "I Invented and designed Cricket Max because I felt it was time to provide to our spectators and TV viewers a game of cricket that was short in duration, very colourful, kept some old traditions and highlighted the best skills in the game."• "Kerry Packer sure did change the game back in the 70s, but now it`s time for Cricket Max to take the excitement of cricket through to the next century."
B is connected with this guy.
C started his own career in SouthAustralia, where he played with considerablesuccess from 1977 and 1982. In 2004 he becamean ICC match referee.
Ans• A- Martin Crowe• B-Russel Crowe (that guy is John F Nash- subject of A Beautiful Mind)• C- Jeff Crowe
18 . Connect
Ans• Venice –Italy• Cosa nostra (Our thing) – mafia of Sicily• Mediterranean sea map• Still from Sound of Music shot in Salzburg, Austria• Rubik’s cube : Hungarian Horror• Turkey• Greece crisis• Japan crisis• Great Wall of China
• So the connection is the popular nursery rhyme:“Long legged Italy,Kicked poor Sicily,Right into the Middle,Of the Mediterranean Sea,Austria was Hungary,Took a bit of Turkey,Dipped it in Greece,Fried it in Japan,And ate it off in China.”
19. (Vedanta Resources mines iron ore)“The X is also the first Indic text to mention Iron(as śyāma ayas, literally "black metal"), so thatscholarly consensus dates the bulk of the Xhymns to the early Indian IronAge, corresponding to the 12th to 10thcenturies BC or the early Kuru kingdom.”
Ans• Atharva Veda
20. (Yeh sab public he!) Connect
AnsLoki• Norse mythology : God of fire• Bottle Gourd: loki in Hindi• IIMK shared drive