2. GENRE CHARACTERISTICS Goodwin’s theory states that each genre demonstrates key genre characteristics. In the indie genre, one of the main characteristics is a performance element in the music video. The music video for “You’re All I Have” is a pure performance video that demonstrates their instrumental skills and their image. Another key characteristic of the indie genre is that it is anti-mainstream. The band’s image, the location of the music video and the band’s music video itself is far from the “glitzy glamour” of some music videos. The band goes back to basics by just playing their instruments and demonstrating their talent and love for music. For example the medium long shot of the band playing their instruments in one frame unites the band and their talent. The medium close up of a band member playing the guitar demonstrates their skills and the medium shot of another band member playing the drum highlights their role in the group.
3. RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN LYRICS AND VISUALS <ul><li>There is a subtle relationship between the lyrics and visuals. For example when the lead singer sings “Electric shocks on aching bones”, a close up of the lead singer shows when lightning strikes on the microphone which causes the lead singer to step back. Also, I find that the whole location and atmosphere of the music video focuses on darkness and depression and the lyrics “There is a darkness deep in you a frightening magic I cling to “ highlights the dark and damp location of the music video. </li></ul>
4. RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN MUSIC AND VISUALS <ul><li>There is a strong relationship between the music and visuals. For example when the lead singer sings a medium close up shot is used most of the time to show this. Also, at times when the beat of the drum is prominent, a medium close up of the drummer is used to highlight his input into the music video. Similarly, when the guitar beat kicks in with more passion and prominence, a medium shot is used to show the band member playing the guitar. </li></ul>
5. DEMANDS OF THE RECORD LABEL <ul><li>The indie record label demands for band’s to have a unique image. For example most of the time the band are seen wearing black shirts, jackets and trousers accompanied with washed out colourful t-shirts- this unique style establishes their fashion sense and image. Furthermore, it is common for indie bands to have long, casual and scruffy hair- this was evident in Snow Patrol’s earlier days however recently the band have adopted a more tidied up image which could mean that they are changing their style in order to keep up with the ever changing fashion sense of their target audience. Another demand of the record label is that many close ups and medium close ups of individual band members must be used to introduce the band members and their individual roles in the bands. For example close ups and medium close ups are used to introduce each band member at various points and medium long shots are used to bring all the band members into one frame to introduce them as a group. </li></ul>
6. NOTION OF LOOKING <ul><li>There is no reference to the female body in the lyrics and in the music video. Furthermore, there are no screens within screens. This could be that the band want their target audience to purely focus on them. To include a female in the video would be a distraction for the target audience as they would focus on the female, not the band. </li></ul>
7. INTERTEXTUAL REFERENCES <ul><li>There are no intertextual references to other music videos, films or TV programmes. Again, this could be due to the fact that the band may want the focus to be on them and their lyrics. </li></ul>