• LEARNING OBJECTIVES:
After reading the chapter the learner should be able to:
1) Understand and explain the meaning of Education for
2) Discuss the role of education in achieving sustainability;
3) Create learning opportunities to understand the
importance of education for sustainable development in
improving the quality of life of Filipinos; and
4) Explain the role of UNESCO in Education for Sustainable
• Sustainable development ‘s three components:
1. Environment - an awareness of the resources and
fragility of the physical environment and the effects
on its human activity and decisions.
2. Society – an understanding of social institutions and
their role in change and development as well as the
democratic and participatory systems.
3. Economy – a sensitive to the limits and potential of
economic growth and their impact on society and on
the environment , with a commitment to assess
personal and societal levels of consumption out of
concern for the environment and social justice.