Human Resource Planning
Concept and objective
• Meaning – Assessment of Human Resource
requirements and time and stages of requirement.
• Right person ---At Right place ---At Right time.
• Definition – HRP is defined as the process by which
management determines how an organization should
move from its current manpower position to its desired
• HRP is also called manpower planning, personnel
planning or employment planning.
Objectives of HRP
• To ensure optimum use of existing HR.
• To forecast future requirement for HR.
• To provide control measures to ensure that
necessary HR are available as and when
• To asses the surplus and shortage of HR.
Objectives of HRP
• To anticipate the impact of technology on jobs
• To determine the level of Recruitment and
• To estimate the cost of HR and Housing needs
• To meet the needs of expansion and
Importance of HRP
Future Personnel needs
Creating highly talented personnel
Foundation of personnel function –
recruitment, selection, promotions
• Resistance to change and move – anywhere,
1. The type of organization determines the
production process, type of staff, (supervisor
and manager). And the strategy plan of the
organization defines its HR needs.
2. Organizational growth cycle and planning –
start up, growth, maturity, decline
3. Environmental uncertainty – political, social and
economical change affect all organizations.
4. Outsourcing – the process by which employees
transfer routine or peripheral work to the
5. Nature of job – job vacancies, promotions
and expansion strategies.
6. Type and quality of forecasting information organizational
structure, budgets, production.
7. Time horizons – long term plans and short
term plans, the greater the uncertainty the
shorter the plan.
Example computers and university.
1.To meet up requirement of the organization
Recruiting skilled labour
2.Counter balance insecurity and change:
HRP helps to offset uncertainties and changes as
far as possible and enables to ensure
availability of human resources of the right
kind,at right time and at right place.
3.It helps in checking labour imbalance
• HRP helps to anticipate shortages and/or
surpluses of manpower in the organisation
4.To meet expansion and diversification needs
of the organisation