A series of connected words consisting of a
subject and verb.
a group of related sentences
• A paragraph is a basic
unit of organization in
writing in which a group
of related sentences
develops one main idea.
• A paragraph is a
sequence of sentences
that cooperate in
supporting one main
How to Write a Paragraph
Topic Supporting Concluding
Sentence Sentence Sentence
Express only one main idea!
Basic Paragraph Structure
• State the main idea,
and limit the scope – controlling idea
• English is important in international business.
(main idea) (controlling idea)
• Neither too specific nor too general.
• Is a statement about the limited topic:
If it hadn’t been for football, I might never
have taken school seriously.
• is a complete sentence. it’s not a title
football and my school
• A good topic
interest and explain
what the paragraph
Exercise: Make a Topic Sentence
• Nokia phones have good design in their appearance.
• Canadians do not follow traffic signals properly.
• Developing the topic sentence by giving
examples, facts, reasons, and statistics…
• Describing scene (what is happening?)
• Including sense details and feeling
Giving Examples and Explanations
• Examples that offer
• a general statement to a
• tell a story
• Specific details that
refer to the five senses
convey ideas vividly –
sight, sound, smell,
taste, and touch.
The dean is in a bad mood.
The dean is mumbling as he rushes past us in the hall
and doesn’t even nod when we greet him.
Concluding Sentence (optional)
• Signal the end, restate topic sentence
Return to the main point, stating it in a new way to
show what has been gained by writing about it
• leave reader with important points
Summarize the main points
a short piece of writing on a subject
1. Holding reader’s interest
3. Thesis Statement, at the end
Tell the readers a main idea, set the scene for a
story, or take a stand on a controversial issue.
• Nowadays, people stay at home for many of
their business and entertainment activities.
Example of Thesis Statement
• Mail order catalogues and the internet
eliminate the need for shopping trips.
• Giving a credit card number over the phone
or modem line can bring goods and services.
• A VCR and a tape deck can turn the average
living room into a private theater.
1. Explain, prove, describe, develop Thesis
2. Topic sentence and supporting sentences
2. Importance and significance