2. I have created this presentation as means of evaluating my finished product in more detail, through the use of random screenshots and annotation. I will be discussing the various conventions and techniques that we used and more importantly, why we used them. Obviously, I will be taking in to consideration the four key concepts, (camera, editing, mise-en-scene and sound) as well as stereotypical conventions, colour imagery etc.
3. We have included mild violence in this scene as it is typical of an action-thriller genre. The way that the violence has been pursued could also be seen as rather comical, which adds humour to the text. We used stedicam here, with swift panning movements as we tracked the protagonist. This creates a swift, fast-paced mood. As you can see in terms of colour imagery, the main colours are dark and bleak, which complements the style of the film.
4. Here, editing has been used to make the background appear greyscale and the main objects of focus appear in colour, giving them a great deal of significance and ultimately emphasising their sinister nature. Handheld camera was used to create a tense and frantic atmosphere. The diagetic sound of the protagonist crying for help in the background adds to the tense and desperate mood of the shot.
5. In this scene, a flashback commences. We achieved this effect by using our editing software to create quick, speedy ‘flashes’ which creates a disorientated atmosphere. Flashbacks are often typical of action-thriller films as they provide further insight into a characters’ background and create a tense and interesting mood.
6. Here we have the antagonist of our film chasing the protagonist through a crowded market street. As you can see, he is dressed in black. Black has connotations of darkness, anger, violence, etc. A ‘chase scene’ is typical of this genre as it builds tension and creates an exhilarating atmosphere. The audience find themselves anticipating a climax. This scene also corresponds with the title of our film, giving it major significance.
7. We have used special effects through the use of our editing software as we are aware that it is desired by a modern audience. With technologies advancing as quickly as they are, an audience would be expecting to see some form of special effects being used. Especially within this particular genre. These effects are not only aesthetically pleasing, but they give further insight in to our characters’ story.
8. This final scene is incredibly important as it acts as the climax to our piece. Once again, the use of special effects is incredibly effective as it produces a sense of awe and exhilaration. It also shows that me and my team have sufficient skills in terms of editing and special effects; how we can organize the scene properly, and then actually conduct the editing.
9. Summary <ul><li>After analysing a variety of shots, I have displayed that I am capable of evaluating and investigating my own work and successfully explaining the conventions we used and why. </li></ul>