14. Basically, you’ve got a dial- up connection from the ear to the brain and broadband from the eye to the brainImage from:http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2664/4013906048_cab928d3ae.jpg
15. What is your definition of visual literacy? What do you think?
16. My definition of visual literacy http://images.elfwood.com/art/e/d/edea/SciFi.Fantasy.Ice_Spirit_Eye_.eye.jpg.rZd.223016.jpg http://farm1.static.flickr.com/70/166216003_4fedec7570_o.jpg
17. Navigating Evaluating Communicating
18. Navigate kids have to be able to find stuff (Creative Commons Search) Image from: http://www.wikihow.com/Image:Trinket-Compass-4531.jpg http://www.flickr.com/photos/chop/4972617478/
19. Evaluatekids have to seekmeaning in images. Image from: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3598/3444063292_92449af37a_b.jpg
20. Communicate kids have to use images to create meaning, by telling stories, creating content, and contributing.
21. Digital Storytelling vs. Digital SpectacleTrue digital storytelling is grounded in the developmentof personal stories through narrative, and focuses ondeveloping fundamental skills such as: • Writing • Accessing, evaluating and synthesizing media • Project management • Technical and computer use • Understanding how to use intellectual property in an ethical and socially acceptable manner http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3597/3394439610_907d99c8c5_b.jpg
22. Communicate Teacher tube – Youtube -- Second Life -- Film on the fly: Jing Our stories -- VoiceThread –
23. Elements of Digital Storytelling: • Point of view • Dramatic questions • Emotional content • The gift of your voice • Soundtrack • Economy • Pacing http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3213/2663002763_a567d12488_b.jpg
24. Point of view What is the main point of the story and what is the perspective of the author? http://farm1.static.flickr.com/210/491671002_3c2ef93b09_z.jpg?zz=1
25. Dramatic question A key question that keeps the viewer’s attention and will be answered by the end of the story.Image from: http://flickr.com/photos/jimfrazier/525695141/ http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3367/3446437797_505fd1e145_z.jpg?zz=1
26. Emotional contentSerious issues that come alive in apersonal and powerful way andconnects the story to the audience. Image from: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2787/4185966439_2d527363c0_o.jpg
27. The gift of your voice A way to personalize the story to help the audience understand the context.
28. Soundtrack: Music or other sounds that support and embellish the storyline Image from: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4134/4881733858_e63977dda9_b.jpg
29. Economy Using enough content to tell the story without overloading the viewer
30. Pacing The rhythm of the story and how slowly or quickly it progresses. http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1207/1323025528_d2a63b1aec_o.jpg
31. The end of the lights <Video> What do you think?
32. 21st Century Literacy How are our students learning these skills? Image from: http://flickr.com/photos/shapeshift/86339994/
33. Resources THANK YOUAll resources for this presentation can be found at: http://apapaseit.edublogs.org