1. Ulukalisa AfuSteven CongCharmaine ParagasSachi Takahashi-RialDoris TulifauMai Yang
2. How toIntegrateTechnologyand SocialMedia ForCivicEngagement
3. Facebook (Social Networking Website)1) First, make sure you have an email address2) You can sign-up on the homepage at www.facebook.com3) On the upper-right hand corner of your account, you will find the tabs ―Newsfeed‖ (where you can check the status of other people who have Facebook), ―Profile,‖ and ―Logout.‖4) On your Newsfeed, you could update your ―status,‖ or a short blurb, and view the statuses of your friends5) On the right-hand side, Facebook will often suggest profiles of people you may know for you to add as friends.5) On your status, you have the option of posting a status, a photo, a link, a video, or a question in support of your group or cause6) You could further outreach to the community by creating a ―page‖ or ―group‖ dedicated to your group or cause(Video Tutorial):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDusjeMs-_A
4. Myspace (Social Networking Website)1) Make sure you have an email address2) You can sign-up on the right hand side of the homepage at www.myspace.com3) You may post your status and view the statuses of your friends on the homepage4) You may network with other members of the community by adding them as friends, sending them comments, and leaving them private messages. You could also consolidate your relationship by including them in your status updates5) The ―Sign Out‖ tab is on the upper right hand corner(Video Tutorial):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldGipWE2IrQ&feature=related
5. LinkedIn(Professional Development Site)1) Make sure you have an email address.2) The upper-left hand side of the homepage, www.linkedin.com, includes the tabs ―Home,‖ ―What Is LinkedIn?‖ ―Join Today,‖ and ―Sign In.‖ Click ―Join Today‖ to set up an account.3) On the top of your homepage, you may access the tabs ―Home,‖ ―Profile,‖ ―Contacts,‖ ―Groups,‖ Jobs,‖ ―Inbox,‖ ―Companies,‖ ―News,‖ etc.4) By clicking the ―Profile‖ tab, you may update your education and work experience, as well as request recommendations.5) You could also provide information on other websites you are invested in through the ―Profile‖ section of LinkedIn.6) By clicking the ―Home‖ tab, LinkedIn could provide information on the professional lives of your associates in the same manner as Facebook’s ―Newsfeed.‖(Video Tutorial):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQczK7of6sg&feature=related
6. YouTube (Website for Sharing Videos)1) Make sure you have an email address.2) On the upper-right hand corner of the homepage at www.youtube.com, you could create an account by clicking the ―Create Account‖ button.3) Once you have created an account, you may upload videos through the ―Upload‖ button to the left of the ―Create Account‖ button.4) Once you have uploaded a video, it may be embedded on other social networking sites such as Myspace or Facebook to increase visibility.5) Once you have logged into your account through the ―Sign In‖ button next to ―Create Account,‖ your profile name would show up next to the ―Sign Out‖ button on the upper right hand corner. By clicking it, the ―Channel,‖ ―Video,‖ ―Subscriptions,‖ ―Inbox,‖ and ―Settings‖ buttons would appear for you to customize your Youtube account.
7. YouTube(Website for Sharing Videos)6) People may follow you by clicking ―Subscribe‖ on the left hand side of your channel, and you could reciprocate in response by doing the same on their page.7) Click ―Settings,‖ then ―Account Settings,‖ and then ―Activity Sharing‖ to synchronize your other social media websites with your Youtube account.(Video Tutorial):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2N72ACocFg
8. Twitter (Social Networking and Microblogging Website)1) Make sure you have an email address.2) On the homepage at www.twitter.com you can create an account. You need to provide your full name, valid e-mail address and a password you can remember.3) Hit ―Sign Up‖ and follow the remaining steps to finish creating your account (such as picking a twitter username and agreeing to the Terms of Service).
9. Twitter (Social Networkingand Microblogging Website)4) Once you have created your account you may look up topics or people you’re interested in and want to receive updates from (topics such as books, news, businesses or people such as Larry King, Anderson Cooper, Lady Gaga, etc.) There’s a broad range of topics and people, feel free to browse and read about each one - those you find interesting and want to read more about, simply click ―follow‖. ―Following‖ a topic or person allows for you to read each new ―tweet‖ (aka update).
10. Twitter (Social Networkingand Microblogging Website)5) Once you have gotten used to following topics and people you can search for your friends. Twitter allows its users to find friends through other service’s contacts (such as Gmail, Yahoo, AOL, LinkedIn, Hotmail and Messenger). This is optional, you can skip importing contacts if you want by clicking ―Skip Import‖ at the bottom of the page.6) Once you have created your account, followed your first couple of topics or people and imported your contacts, you are ready to use twitter.
11. Twitter (Social Networkingand Microblogging Website)7) On the right hand side of your homepage it asks you, ―What’s Next?‖ Right below this you have the option of writing your first tweet, setting up your profile or getting twitter on your phone. Each of these options have easy to follow steps that will walk you through each action you want to perform. * Twitter allows its members only 140 characters per ―tweet‖ (this includes spaces). This form of microblogging allows for members to carefully choose their words and to make them count!(Video Tutorial):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7XipuA83gI
13. Reach newcustomers
14. Google Adwords (Advertise with Google)Benefits You can set your ads to appear only to people searching in a particular city, region, or country. So you’re targeting customers close to you! You can have your ads appear alongside blogs, news pages, and other websites that partner with Google. Using your keywords, Googles contextual targeting technology can automatically match your ads to webpages in their Display Network that are most relevant to your business. For example, an ad for a digital camera may show up next to an article reviewing the latest digital cameras Youre charged only if someone clicks your ad, not when your ad is displayed Theres no minimum spending requirement – the amount you pay for AdWords is up to you. You can, for instance, set a daily budget of five dollars and a maximum cost of ten cents for each click on your ad. Google provides keyword traffic and cost estimates so you can make informed decisions about choosing keywords and maximizing your budget
15. Google Adwords (Advertise with Google)How it works You create ads and choose keywords, which are words or phrases related to your business When people search on Google using one of your keywords, your ad may appear next to the search results. So youre advertising to an audience thats already interested in you. Youre charged only if someone clicks your ad, not when your ad is displayed. Review your ads performance on a site-by-site basis to see impression, click, cost, and conversion data, and use this data to identify well-performing sites to target more aggressively and low-value placements that require content optimization or exclusionHow can I get started? Go to google.com and click on ―Business Solutions.‖ There will be a link for Google Adwords
16. Google Places (Get found on GoogleMaps)Benefits 97% of consumers search for local businesses online. You can be there when theyre looking for your business. This service is a free local platform from Google Google Boost is the advertising portion of Google Places. For this service, you only pay when people actually click on your adHow it works Google Places allows potential customers to see where your business is located, link to your website, and see your contact information. You can add photos, videos, and offers to show customers why theyll want to choose you. Highlight special promotions, post live updates, and respond to reviews from your Places for business account
17. Google Places (Get found on Google Maps) Google Places allows you to learn more about your customers: What keywords they’re searching for and where they’re coming from. Armed with this knowledge, you can make better business decisions With Google Boost, you provide a few details about the location and contact information of your business, and your ad will be ready in minutes. For example, a potential customer who Google searches ―Chinese restaurant Sacramento‖ will see your restaurant mapped in Sacramento, and when they click on your icon, will see your ad!How can I get started? Go to google.com and click on ―Business Solutions.‖ There will be a link for Google Places
19. AdSense (Earn revenue from your website)Benefits Google AdSense is a free program You get access to Googles vast advertiser pool without having to maintain individual relationships. The more advertisers you have, the more competition for your inventory and the more relevant the ads shown
20. AdSense (Earn revenue from yourHow it works website) Choose where to show ads: Specify where you want ads to appear and choose what types of ads can compete for those slots The advertisers that bid the most for your spots get to display their ads there. Advertisers bid on your inventory in a real-time auction and your site always shows the highest-paying ad Get paid! Google bills advertisers and ad networks and you get paid through Google’s reliable payment optionsHow can I get started? Go to google.com and click on ―Business Solutions.‖ There will be a link for Google AdSense
21. Checkout (Sell online)Benefits Google Checkout’s fast, convenient checkout process helps Google Checkout users convert 40% more than shoppers who have not used Checkout before. Checkout also helps you more effectively turn your traffic into paying customers. Lengthy checkout processes frustrate online shoppers who then frequently abandon their shopping carts. With Google Checkout, the purchasing information of each Checkout user is stored in a single account, so they can buy from you by simply providing their username and password. The Google Checkout badge is an icon that tells potential customers that shopping with you will be convenient and secure.
22. Checkout (Sell online)How it works In order to receive payment for your charged orders, you must first specify a bank account in your Google Checkout account When you use Google Checkout to process your sales, youll be charged rates as low as 1.9% + $0.30 per transaction. With Google Checkout, there are no monthly, setup, or gateway service fees The transaction processing rates youll be charged each month will be determined by your sales volume during the prior calendar month:
23. Sales & TransactionsMonthly sales under $3,000 2.9% + $0.30 per transaction$3,000 - $9,999.99 2.5% + $0.30$10,000 - $99,999.99 2.2% + $0.30$100,000 or more 1.9% + $0.30
24. Checkout (Sell online) After a buyer makes a purchase, you review the order details, including estimated taxes and net revenue. You then charge the buyers credit card and ship the order and notify the buyerHow can I get started? Go to google.com and click on ―Business Solutions.‖ There will be a link for Google Checkout
25. Website Optimizer (Build effective websites)Benefits With Website Optimizer, you can try any combination of content to find out what leads to the most conversions. Clear reports will tell you what worked the best Testing makes it easy to increase your site effectiveness and visitor satisfaction, which leads to higher conversion rates and a higher return on your investments Testing makes it easy to get direct feedback from your site visitorsHow it works Google Optimizer helps you automatically test different site content in order to maximize visitor conversion rates Here’s a website with a demo video on how it works: http://services.google.com/training/websiteoptimizeroverview/2995095/in dex.htmlHow can I get started? Go to google.com and click on ―Business Solutions.‖ There will be a link for Google Website Optimizer
26. Google Site Search (Add site search to yourBenefits website) Increase website conversions and sales Reduce support costs by enhancing self service Display ads-free search results Customize search box and results using XML Optional Google branding Flexible pricing model based on search queriesHow it works With Google Site Search, you can put a Google search box on your website and enable prospective visitors and customers to find information instantly Google Site Search is available in several subscription plans, which are based off the number of queries the engine receives each year. So whether youre a small business, a Fortune 500 company, or a group, Google can power your search with the right product and great support, and all for the right price
27. Query Limit/PricingSearch Query Limit Pricing Best for(annual) (annual)20,000 $100 Blogs, personal sites50,000 $250 Small businesses150,000 $750 Small businesses (with more traffic)500,000 $2,000 Medium-sized sites500,000 + Contact sales Larger businesses
28. Getting StartedHow can I get started? Go to google.com and click on ―Business Solutions.‖ There will be a link for Google Site Search
29. Google Friend Connect (Grow viral traffic to your site)Benefits• Simple setup• Adding Friend Connect features to a website requires no programming skills; you just copy and paste snippets of HTML code onto your site. You can also add custom integrations with Friend Connects API• The members gadget makes registration simple, letting users sign in to your website with existing account information (e.g. Google, Yahoo, AOL) so they spend less time filling in forms and more time exploring your site
30. Google Friend Connect (Grow viral traffic to your site) Social gadgets! Choose from a range of social gadgets that let users post comments, post links, rate, review and more. Create, manage and send website newsletters all from within your Friend Connect account. Using the interests people share when joining your site, you can also send personalized newsletters to different segments of your community.
31. Google Friend Connect (Grow viral traffic to your site)How it works Enabling Friend Connect on your website is easy! All it takes is entering your websites URL and name when first signing into your Friend Connect account. You dont have to worry about downloading or uploading files; Friend Connect does the work for you Find out what users are interested in by asking them questions when they join your site, in the poll gadget, or using the API. The interests users share are public and added to their profiles so users with similar interests can find each other, and so you can display personalized content, and ads Review the interests users share and your sites membership growth from inside your Friend Connect account. You can export your sites data at any time for spreadsheet analysis or to integrate with third party servicesHow can I get started? Go to google.com and click on ―Business Solutions.‖ There will be a link for Google Friend Connect
32. Increase yourproductivity
33. Google Enterprise Search Solutions(Search company information)Benefits GSA 6.8 now includes Cloud Connect, People Search and Dynamic Navigation, providing enhanced collaboration and user experience Give website visitors or intranet users the information they need with fast, familiar Google search Give website visitors or intranet users the information they need with fast, familiar Google searchHow it works Google Enterprise Solutions has many tailored solutions to fit each industry, from aerospace to healthcare to media. Additionally, if you are looking for a departmental solution, it has solutions addressing customer service, engineering and many others
34. Google Enterprise Search Solutions(Search company information)Vertical solutions include: Aerospace & Defense Education Electronics Energy Financial Services Government Healthcare High Tech Life Sciences Manufacturing Media Professional Services Telecom Transportation & Logistics
35. Google Enterprise Search Solutions(Search company information)Departmental solutions include: Customer Service Engineering Human Resources Sales & MarketingHow can I get started? Go to google.com and click on ―Business Solutions.‖ There will be a link for Google Enterprise Search Solutions
36. Google AppsBenefits With Google Apps for Business, youll have anytime, anywhere access to web-based tools such as email, calendar, documents and more. All less than $5 per user a month (or, $50 per user a year): Mobile access No hardware or software required Customer support (@your_company.com) BlackBerry® & Microsoft Outlook® integration 25GB of storage per user, 50x the industry average Voice, video chat, IM and mail Powerful spam filtering
37. Google AppsHow it works Use Google Calendar to centralize schedules in one company- wide calendar thats accessible from anywhere. Overlay calendars to see when people are available, send invites, and plan events. Group calendars BlackBerry® & Microsoft Outlook® integration Send invites and manage RSVPs Mobile access with text message reminders Google Mail is business email @your_company.com that allows more storage, and access from anywhere—on the web, on your phone, and even offline. BlackBerry® & Microsoft Outlook® integration 25GB of storage per user, 50x the industry average Voice, video chat, IM and mail Powerful spam filtering
38. Google Apps Google Docs allows you to share and collaborate on documents, spreadsheets, presentations, and forms. Employees always have access to the most up-to-date versions of their work files from anywhere Works in real-time with multiple collaborators Supports formats including .doc, .xls, .ppt, and .pdf Easily upload and share files that are always backed-up Manage who accesses files to review or edit Google Sites allows you to centralize important company information and manage projects with an internal website that will help keep your team organized and connected Create sites as easily as editing a document Keep important information centralized and secure Use templates to create sites fasterHow can I get started? Go to google.com and click on ―Business Solutions.‖ There will be a link for Google Apps
39. Yelp (Connecting Community Members with Local Businesses)1) Make sure you have an email address2) The upper-right hand side of the homepage, www.yelp.com, includes the tabs ―Sign up for Yelp,‖ and ―Log In.‖ Click ―Sign up for Yelp‖ to set up an account3) On the top of your homepage, you may access the tabs ―Welcome‖ (homepage) ―About Me,‖ ―Write a Review,‖ ―Find Reviews,‖ ―Invite Friends,‖ ―Messaging‖, ‖Talk,‖ and ―Events.‖4) The homepage (―Welcome‖) shows you the newest reviews and events that are in your area5) The ―About Me‖ tab shows your profile, including the pictures and information you have posted about yourself. Here you can also see the reviews you have written, what your friends are up to, and your own lists, bookmarks, and events.6) In order to review a local business, such as a restaurant or service-providing establishment, click on ―Write a Review‖ and search for the business you would like to review. If there aren’t any reviews yet, be the first to put in your two cents!
40. Yelp (Connecting Community Members with Local Businesses)7) The ―Find Reviews‖ tab is for you when you’re trying to find a business that you’d like to know more about. The categories include Restaurants, Food, Nightlife, Education, Religious Organizations, Active Life, Hotels and Travel, Local Services, and much more!8) The ‖Messaging‖ tab allows you to view the messages you’ve sent and received and to send messages as well!9) The ―Talk‖ tab is a forum for people with questions about local services or local issues. Answer and ask questions about the city you live in!10) The ―Events‖ tab allows you to see what’s going on in your area or to post a new event for others to see!(Video Tutorial):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbD4Gdga_tM
41. Benefits ofUsingSocialNetworkingSites
42. Benefits of Using Social Networking Sites Keep in touch with virtually anyone who has access to the site Instant communication via chat rooms, updates and posts Easy event invites and planning - Able to monitor RSVP’s - Update event time or date changes - Message guests Easy ways to share photographs, news, videos and documents Easy to update and easy to access Ability to create pages for teams or groups with the same interests and concerns Ability to connect with others who have the same interests and concerns Ability to make profiles or pages as private or as public as possible Ability to renew old acquaintances and begin new ones Ability to conduct surveys for a wide range of people Ability to stay connected with different communities Ability to monitor community response to your projects
43. Benefits ofUsingTechnologyforBusinesses
44. Benefits of Using Technology for Business Ability to obtain instant feedback via electronic mail, the internet and teleconferencing Ability to manage projects, documents, scheduling and data with the use of specific applications Ability to maintain databases of information that allow for consistent stored data Ability to share data with members of the business Ability to meet with other members at different locations via video conferencing and electronic mail Ability to attach additional files to electronic mail, cutting costs for postage Ability to branch out to new clientele Ability to advertise on many different websites Ability to gain insight on how business is doing with online reviews and other services
45. Extra ResourcesKommein Website: http://kommein.com/25-free-online- social-media-classes/ Contains a list of 25 free online social media classes
46. Additional Videos―How To Use Facebook to Promote Your Business and Make Money‖ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3vvNz_CxK8―Facebook Pages: 9 Ways to Promote to Your Fans‖ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1FrSBPqxt4Japanese Facebook Tutorial http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=corqGSXYaDIChinese Facebook Tutorial http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8trPJqwizI―Total Twitter Tutorial‖ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91zurrk69_w&feature=related―How To Use Twitter for Business‖ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXPmI4YaOpM
47. Give Us Your Feedback! We’d love to hear from you!Please return to the Projects page to share your thoughts on this presentation in the comments box. Thank you!