Role of academic libraries for building digital Bangladesh
Homage to our liberation war martyrs
Role of academic libraries for
building digital Bangladesh
Dr. Md. Anwarul Islam
Dr. M. Mizanur Rahman 21 March 2014
Web and e-services providing by ministries and divisions (
• Union Information and Services Centres
(UISC) are newly established one-stop service
outlets operating at all 4,547 Union Parishads
(UP, lowest tier of local government) of the
• UISCs were inaugurated simultaneously on
November 11, 2010
• 4547 UISCs operational in all Union Parishads
• 9094 entrepreneurs are self-employed.
• Top services: Govt forms, Examination
results, birth and death registration, livelihood
information, computer training, mobile
banking, email and internet browsing etc.
Bangladesh Mobile Phone subscriber in January
Operators Subscribers (in million)
Grameen Phone Ltd. (GP) 47.642
Banglalink Digital Communications Limited 28.932
Robi Axiata Limited (Robi) 25.611
Airtel Bangladesh Limited (Airtel) 8.263
Pacific Bangladesh Telecom Limited
Teletalk Bangladesh Ltd. (Teletalk) 2.980
Source: BTRC http://www.btrc.gov.bd/content/mobile-phone-subscribers-bangladesh-january-2014
With present subscriber base mobile penetration has been increased to
66.36% with a growth of 10% per Annum.
Internet Subscribers in Bangladesh January, 2014
Category Subscribers (in thousand)
Mobile Internet 33985.541
ISP + PSTN 1225.12
• 4G =100 megabits per second (Mbit/s)
• 3G = of at least 200 kbit/s (about 0.2 Mbit/s).
• 2G = General Packet Radio Service, speed of
max. 50 kbit/s (40 kbit/s in practice).
Educational Institutes 2012
Type Total Public Private
Primary 104017 37672 66345
Schools 19208 318 18890
Colleges 3547 288 3259
Madrasa 9441 3 9438
Professional Education 389 80 309
Teacher Education 209 80 129
Technical 3327 245 3082
University 86 34 52
Khatai ase goale nai
A few positive indications
• Library is a must organ to get affiliation.
• Newly created Assistant Librarian posts
for school library.
• Librarian is declared as a teaching staff in
school and college level.
How library can contribute?
Introducing e-facilities -