• “Filmfare Awards” “Oscar awards” “Grammy awards”
• “ Miss world” or “Miss universe”
• “World Cup” “Olympics” or “IPL”
• “Product launch” “ movie launch” or “music launch”
Nowadays marriage ceremonies ,birthday parties etc
we have wondered how people have managed to put up such
Every tiny detail from our entering the venue to our going out is a
process of rigorous planning, even our watching the show in the
television is a part of that planning process.
That’s what is called “Event management”
What is Event Management ?
• “The planning, co-coordinating,
staging and evaluating of an event.”
• One of the fastest and the most
glamorous upcoming professions today.
• It does mean big money, but it also
involves lots of discipline and meticulous
planning to be in this profession.
Categories of Events
• Events can be classified into four broad
categories based on their purpose and objective:
1. Leisure events e.g. leisure sport, music,
2. Cultural events e.g. ceremonial, religious, art,
heritage, and folklore.
3. Personal events e.g. weddings, birthdays,
4. Organizational events e.g. commercial,
political, charitable, sales, product launch.
• Most important process in event management.
• Defines vision, mission, objectives and goals of the
• Who is doing this and why?
Cost recovery event
Identify revenues & expenses
Determine breakeven point
Determine cost per guest
Core funded event
No revenue to be generated
What is institution willing to
spend on event?
▫ Who will be involved in the planning &
▫ How to engage other departments on campus?
▫ What role will they play?
▫ Who is the decision-maker?
▫ Need to know where you are going and how you
are going to get there
▫ Development of plans for a consistent approach:
Event Work plan / Timeline
• EVENT WORKPLAN / TIMELINE
▫ Identify main areas
▫ Identify tasks within the areas
▫ Determine who will be responsible for task
▫ Determine date for completion
• COMMUNICATIONS PLAN
▫ Identify target audience
▫ Create key messages about event
▫ Determine best way to communicate key messages
to target audience
▫ Identify public relations/marketing opportunities
• “Sponsorship is an indirect way of gaining
financial support by helping businesses
promote their products or services in
exchange for their support (financial or in-
Create a sponsorship package to identify levels of
Develop a prospects list
Determine recruitment strategy
Secure sponsors/service accordingly
5. CRISIS MANAGEMENT
Contingency plans always required
Assess what can go wrong and what safety nets are
Identify decision-making process in the event of a
crisis or the requirement to change course
▫ All events should include a debrief
▫ Committee members; stakeholders; staff; volunteers;
guests; etc. can be included in evaluation
List of Institutions In India
1.Amity Institute of Event Management
2.Ramoji studio for event management
3.Indian Institute of Event Management
4.Indian Institute of Management
5.International Center for Event Marketing
Few examples of recent high profile
events in India - 2008