1. To meet the growing demand in network capacity3G standards started evolving. Launched in japan by NTT 2001 It is based on the ITU family of standards. 3G technologies enable network operators to offerusers a wider range of more advanced services. Services include many applications all in a mobileenvironment. The data are sent through the technology called Packet switching.Voice calls are interpreted through circuit switching.
2. The first pre-commercial 3G network was launched by NTT DoCoMo inJapan on 1998.It was first available in May 2001 as a pre-release (test) of technology.The first commercial launch of 3G was in Japan on 1 October 2001.The first commercial network in Europe was opened for businessby Telenor in December 2001 with no commercial handsets andthus no paying customers.The first network to go commercially live was by SK Telecom in SouthKorea on the CDMA-based 1xEV-DO technology in January 2002.
3.  Poor voice quality Poor battery life Large phone size No security Frequent call drops Limited capacity and poor handoff reliability.
4. 3G technology has taken the gaming to the next level.Real-time multiplayer gaming is possible in 3G system.Innovative new services are being added by developer daily.
5. Not simply rebroadcast of TV or website.Enhanced existing service for mobileenvironment.Multi-faceted – 24*7 access to multiplelive streams , video , image & text content , voting , messaging.User interaction on multiple levels.Fully integrated in browser – one click access.
6. 3G was relatively slow to be adopted globally.In some instances, 3G mobile operators must buildentirely new networks and license entirely newfrequencies.In December 2007, 190 3G networks were operatingin 40 countries, according to the Global MobileSuppliers Association (GSA).3G has also introduced the term "mobile broadband"USB Modems connecting to 3G networks are becoming increasinglycommon.
7. Specifications 2G 3G Frequency band 1- 1.5 GHz 1.5- 2.8 GHz Band width 30-200 kHz 15-20 MHz Data rate 96- 384 kbps upto 2 Mbps Access CDMA Wideband CDMA system GSM ITU Switching Circuit Packet/circuit Top speeds 200kmph 200kmph
8. Asia is also using 3G services very well.Dialog Axiata PLC was First to serve 3G Service in South Asia in 2006A lot of companies like BSNL, WorldCall, PTCL, Maxis, Vodafone,Airtel, Idea Cellular, Aircel, Tata DOCOMO and Reliance havereleased their 3G services.11 December 2008, India entered the 3G arena with the launch of 3Genabled Mobile and Data services by Government owned MahanagarTelephone Nigam Ltd MTNL in Delhi and later in Mumbai.After MTNL, another state operator Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd.(BSNL) launched 3G services on 22 Feb 2009 in Chennai and laterlaunched 3G as Nationwide.
9. Top five 3g providers in india BSNL Airtel Reliance Tata docomo Idea
10. 3g providers in India Maharastra  Karnataka1. Tata 1. Tata2. Vodafone 2. Aircel3. Idea 3. Airtel A.P  Tamilnadu1. Airtel 1. Airtel2. Idea 2. Vodafone3. Aircel 3. Aircel