1. WHAT IS CHANGE ? <ul><li>C = Challenges = Competencies - Culture - Creativity - Colour (ITC, GE) </li></ul>H = Happenings = Turbulence - Status - Quo - Using / Abusing A = Achievements = Adjustments - Adaptations - Acquisitions N = New Horizons = IT - Health Services - Robotics - ART.INTEL G = Goals Upheaval = Males to Kitchens - Females to Ramps E = Energizing = Entrepreneural Skills CHANGE IS CONSTANT CHANGE IS IMMINANT CHANGE IS INEVITABLE WHO IS YOUR PERMANENT LIFE PARTNER . . . . . . . . . . . . No! Change
2. MANAGING CHANGE The Managers are: OVER WHELMED by the Complexity of responsibilities and continuous changes in the Business world. OVER LOADED by too much to do, too much information to process, and too many demands by Senior Management, Investors and Customers OVER STRESSED by challenges posed by Employees crisis management, Increasing fear of uncertain future.
3. MANAGING CHANGE <ul><li>In our country, we see innovation playing its role very well in the business world to cope up with change. </li></ul><ul><li>Companies like PARAS PHARMA and CAVIN KARE. </li></ul><ul><li>PARAS is coming out with product after product regularly and owns brands like Moov, krack Cream, Itch Guard, Livon like at Sony a new System/Product in every shift. </li></ul>CHANGE - INNOVATION - CREATIVITY
4. Companies like Godrej, Nirma, Marico and Emami are doing well inspite multinationals presence like Hindustan Levers. Dabur, Himalaya Drugs are also good examples of coping up with change through innovation. Shanaz Hussain is another example. Sulabh Shavchalaya of Bindeshwar Pathak has helped in providing basic toilet facilities to millions of people. Narayana Murthy - Infosys is the world’s second most profitable company in software, next only to Microsoft.
5. Moser - Baer, Noida is the world’s Lowest - Cost producer of CD-Recorders. One lakh Indica Cars are to be marketed in Europe by Rover, one of the UK’s most prestigious Car Makers. In Netherlands, the Indian made ALTO is the highest selling small car. Hero-Honda is now the largest manufacturer of Motorcycles in the world. TISCO is today the lowest cost producer of Hot - Rolled Steel in the world. INDIA TOBACCO Company (ITC) - How much Tobaco ? GENERAL ELECTRIC (GE) - How much Electrical ?
6. RANBAXY, Dr. Reddy Labs, CIPLA - The Pharmaceutical Companies giving a threat to MNCs. In Diamonds, India is one of the world’s largest Diamond Cutting and Polishing centers - Nine out of 10 stones cut and sold in the world pass through India. In R&D, GE’s John F Welch Technology Center at Bangalore is the company's largest outside the US it employs 1600 researchers. GE’s R&D center in China has 100 Employees.
7. In service sector Dr. Pratap-C-Reddy has Apollo Hospital 15 countries outside India. White revolution: Verghese Kurien - Inspired Leadership - From an importer of Milk Powder, India is today the world’s largest Milk producer. The Innovators way of handling change is through fondling expectations of customers through innovative thoughts. They saw what every one else saw but thought of something nobody else had. As in the words of Dr. Ratan Reddy, they are “ not different” People but they are the ones who “ Think Differently ”.
8. WIPRO - CHANGE MANAGEMENT 11 PRINCIPLES OF AZIM PREMJI 1) Be alert for the first signs of change. 2) Anticipate Change Even when things are going right. 3) Always look at the opportunities that change represents. 4) Do not allow routines to be come chains. 5) Realize that fear of the unknown is natural. 6) Keep renewing your self. 7) Surround yourself with people who are open to change. 8) Play to win. 9) Respect your self; - Humility 10) Never compromise core values. 11) Succeeding is beyond surviving.
9. MANAGING CHALLENGES OF CHANGE IN GE Thro’ 4 ‘E’ Leader Ship ‘JACK WELCH’S Winning Formula ENERGY: Great Energy - Inspire Others to Perform in fierce competition. - Move at 95 miles per hour in a 55 - Mile - an - Hour world. ENERGIZE: Spark others to perform - sharing credit - owning blame - energizes others. EDGE: Dare to Decide - Vitality Curve. EXECUTE: Measurable Results.
10. 7 Steps of Jack Welch to deal with Change 1. Explain the New Rules of Engagement (What you want to achieve) 2. Deal with change HEAD - ON (Share company Values. 3. Paint a vivid Picture of the finish line (Share vision of future) 4. Candor first: Openness, Trust. 5. Over communicate: Six - Sigma - He repeated Mantra so frequently. 6. Exploit the opportunities that change brings: GE made more than 1200 acquisitions. 7. Reiterate that change never ends.
11. MANAGING CHANGE THRO’ LEADER SHOCK PROGRAMME 1. ACTIVATE INTENTIONS : Attitude setting nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving goals. Nothing on earth can help man with wrong mental attitude Jefferson. 2. OWN IT ALL : Freedom is only part of the story and half truth. I recommend statue of liberty on east coast be supplanted by a statue of responsibility on west coast victor. 3. REFUSE TO CONFORM : Conformity is the enemy of thought and the Jailer of freedom. 4. RECAST STRESS INTO STRENTH : An optimist sees an opportunity in every calamity a pessimist sees a calamity in every opportunity Winston Churchill. Greg Hicks Approach
12. 5. REPLACE PLANS WITH POSSIBILITIES : Whatever is Flexible will Grow what ever is Rigid will Die Lao Tzu 6. FOCUS ON YOUR PEOPLE FIRST : If you want One year of prosperity, Grow Grain. If you want Ten years of Prosperity, Grow Trees. If you want hundred years of Prosperity, Grow People. Chinese Proverb 7. GIVE , DON’T TAKE : “ He who obtains has Little He who scatters has Much” Lao Tzu 8. DEMAND THE TRUTH : “ A Real Leader Faces Music, Even when he doesn’t like the tune” Anonymous
13. MANAGING CHANGE IN NTPC In NTPC, to face the challenges, the HR strategy “Putting People First” based on four building blocks is pursued: Competence Building. Commitment Building. Culture Building. System Building.
14. HR STRATEGY Competence Building Culture Building Commitment Building System Building HR STRATEGY
15. Competency Building <ul><li>Growing In-house talent </li></ul><ul><li>ET Rectt./ Career Development Scheme </li></ul><ul><li>Training and development </li></ul><ul><li>Leadership development </li></ul><ul><li>Specific Interventions </li></ul><ul><li>Foreign Training </li></ul><ul><li>External Training </li></ul><ul><li>Performance Management System </li></ul><ul><li>Developmental Initiatives </li></ul><ul><li>Dc, 360 degree, HR ambassadors / Mentoring </li></ul><ul><li>Educational Programs </li></ul><ul><li>M.Tech. / B.S. Power Engg. / MBA / Diploma </li></ul><ul><li>Knowledge sharing and Learning Systems </li></ul><ul><li>NOCET, HORIZON, PC </li></ul>
16. Commitment building <ul><li>Reward and Recognition schemes </li></ul><ul><li>NTPC REWARD SYSTEM </li></ul><ul><li>Employee Feedback & Introspection </li></ul><ul><li>Organisation Climate Survey (BODH) </li></ul><ul><li>DISHA </li></ul><ul><li>Hewitt’s Best Employer Survey </li></ul><ul><li>Employee Communication </li></ul>
17. Culture building <ul><li>Core Values Actualization </li></ul><ul><li>Celebrating Achievements </li></ul><ul><li>“ Sparsh” - Culture of caring </li></ul><ul><li>“ Partner in progress” </li></ul><ul><li>Winning Awards - Culture of Excellence </li></ul><ul><li>Recognition of Long service </li></ul>
18. System building <ul><li>HR Bench Marking </li></ul><ul><li>Communication System </li></ul><ul><li>Rewards & Recognition </li></ul><ul><li>Executive Promotions System </li></ul><ul><li>HR Audit </li></ul><ul><li>ISO - 9000 - 2000 systems for Corporate & Unit HR </li></ul><ul><li>IT enabling HR by ERP - People soft. </li></ul><ul><li>Simplification of Rules / Single Window System </li></ul><ul><li>Policy Access / Awareness through Intra-net & CDs </li></ul><ul><li>System of MOU </li></ul>
19. HANDLE CHANGE IT IS DIFFICULT To Stretch beyond minimum without external motivation. To let go from a position of advantage. To come out of comfort - Zone and Disturb status Quo To Face Difficult situations. To be sensitive while holding power. To have long term view in the light of immediate problems. To be objective in emotionally charged situation To defend core values in the face of financial loss. To be modest in victory & success. To move away from past successful methods. To be innovative in the world of copycats. But it pay’s
20. IMPEDIMENTS TO CHANGE <ul><li>Being “NEGAHOLICS” as Arun Shourie says - Addicted to negative thinking. </li></ul><ul><li>Lack of Aspiration to be world class “ a sense of collective paralysis” as CK PRAHALAD says </li></ul><ul><li>Lack of INTRAPRENEURAL Initiative </li></ul><ul><li>Lack of yearning for learning </li></ul><ul><li>Adoptive not Adaptive </li></ul><ul><li>Star & Smart under perform </li></ul><ul><li>ADS (Attention Deficit Syndrome) </li></ul>