This session presents the dilemmas of complexity, and introduces complexity theory models including complex adaptive systems (CAS) and Cynefin to better understand organizational contexts and respond with Innovation.
This session should appeal to Agile practitioners interested in exploring complexity and applying practical techniques for improving Agile project outcomes. The session will discuss the following:
1) Introduce complexity theory and offer Cynefin as a valuable and practical tool for Scrum teams to manage changing contexts and operate Scrum as a Complex Adaptive System.
2) Explain how this enhances sense-making during an Agile project e.g. during sprint planning and user story development.
3) Explain how a team can apply different approaches for Cynefin domains e.g. Probe-Sense-Respond vs. Sense-Analyse-Respond.
4) Discuss useful Cognitive-Edge techniques e.g. safe to fail experimentation, butterfly stamping with the backlog, ritual dissent with solution design.
6) Show how Cynefin practices enhance the role of the ScrumMaster to create more effective and responsive teams.
7) Wet the appetite to start experimenting with Cynefin and build on small successes.