1. “TrueView Skippable PreRolls”Evaluating the Effect of Consumer Choice onPre-roll EffectivenessIpsos MediaCT and Innerscope Research Inc. All Rights Reserved. 2011 Google Confidential and Proprietary
2. The Problem: “Is anyone actually watching?” In 2009... 53% of online video ads were watched to completion DoubleClick Benchmark Report - A Year in Review, 2009 Google Confidential and Proprietary Q18. When considering ads you might see on websites like YouTube before videos you want to see, which of the following statements most applies to you?
3. The Solution: YouTube “True-View In-Stream”(a.k.a. Skippable PreRoll) Google Confidential and Proprietary 3
4. TrueView “Skipppable” PreRolls: How They WorkUser must watch the first five secondsof an ad. After that, he can choose toskip the ad to proceed immediately tothe content he wanted.With Skippable PreRoll, the advertiseronly pays for what matters most--people actually watching the ad.Advertisers are only charged when aviewer chooses to watch the adcompletely or after 30sec(whichever comes first).Unique to YouTube!Source: Doublecklick Benchmark Report. 2009 Google Confidential and Proprietary
5. TrueView enhances viewer experience and makes media dollars work harder Reasons for participants skipping ads I had seen the ad before 22%I am not interested in the product / service 19% I didnt find the ideas in the ad interesting 14% The ideas were not relevant to me 14% Less than half of users (45%) will always skip ads. Other reasons to skip indicate that TrueView delivers efficient reach by: • Natural frequency capping • Delivering targeted ad views Those who skipped each ad (n=259-343) Google Confidential and Proprietary Q11e. Which of the following, if any, describe why you decided to skip the ad?
6. Experiment: UK based, first of its kind globally Google Confidential and Proprietary 6
7. Comparison groupsLab test:Viewed Standard Pre-Roll Skipped TrueView Watched TrueViewOnline test: + Control group (no exposure) Google Confidential and Proprietary
8. Methodology 1. Lab test 2. Online test Biometrics (132 people) Online survey (2,000 people) Eye tracking (132 people) Ipsos MediaCT. All Rights Reserved Google Confidential and Proprietary 8
9. Key Findings across all participating advertisers TrueView ads drive higher viewer engagement.1 On average, people who watched TrueView ads showed 75% greater engagement with the ad than people who viewed the same ad as a standard pre-roll.2 Skipped ads deliver free value. With the right creative, ads can deliver impact even on those who skip. The first 5 seconds matter– so use the time wisely. Users who watched a TrueView ad were 40% more engaged during3 first 5 seconds vs. users who saw a standard preroll. Even users who skipped a TrueView ad were 30% more engaged during the first 5 seconds vs. users exposed to a standard preroll. Google Confidential and Proprietary
10. Option to skip does not distract from the adBrand A Brand B Video Video Skip Bar Skip Bar 82% of users think the skip button is ‘very’/ ‘extremely’ clear Ipsos MediaCT and Innerscope Research Inc. All Rights Reserved. All respondents (n=2,000) Google Confidential and Proprietary 10 Q15. The highlighted button allows you to skip an ad after 5 seconds before watching a video. How clear do you think this was when the button appeared?
11. Across all brands, people who watch TrueView ads are over75% more engaged than those who see standard pre-rolls Saw Standard PreRoll Watched TrueView Ipsos MediaCT and Innerscope Research Inc. All Rights Reserved Google Confidential and Proprietary 11
12. People who watch ad in TrueView format (choosing not toskip) show higher biometric engagement 100 80Emotional Engagement 60 40 20 0 5 10 15 20 25 30 Time in seconds Saw Standard PreRoll Watched TrueView Neutral Engagement (55) Ipsos MediaCT and Innerscope Research Inc. All Rights Reserved Google Confidential and Proprietary 12
13. Viewers who watch TrueView ads feel better about thebrandAverage across all participating advertisers (4 dif’t industries) Watched TrueView Saw Standard Pre-roll BrandFavourability +5% +4% Purchase intent +3% +2% All respondents (n=2,000) Q4. Please indicate how favourable or unfavourable you feel towards each of the following brands of [CATEGORY] using the below agreement scale. Google Confidential and Proprietary 13 Q6. How likely are you to buy any of the following [CATEGORY] in the future? / Q6. When you next come to buy a [CATEGORY], which of these would be your first choice?
14. TrueView ads deliver impact– even on userswho skip All respondents Google Confidential and Proprietary 14 Q8a. [Post 5 second de-branded exposure]. Do you remember seeing this ad when you watched the clips on YouTube?
15. The option to skip increases user response during thefirst 5 seconds This is true whether the user watches or skips the ad AQ™ Biometric Scores 6 5 3.7 4 3.5 2.7 3 2 1 0 Saw Standard Pre-roll Control SkippableTrueView Skipped Skipped Watched TrueView Skippable Not Skipped Scores are aggregated across all ads within a single condition and are derived from the emotional intensity during the first 5 seconds of each target ad in that condition. Ipsos MediaCT and Innerscope Research Inc. All Rights Reserved. Google Confidential and Proprietary 15
16. Key Findings On average, people who watched TrueView ad showed 388% higher1 engagement than people who viewed the same ad as a standard pre- roll (vs. 75% average uplift across all brands). Uplift in key brand metrics was relatively consistent across formats –2 whether a person watched a TrueView ad or saw a standard pre-roll. But we saw some indication that the TrueView format lifts brand metrics more effectively than standard pre-roll.3 Interestingly, people who saw ad as a standard preroll showed the highest levels of brand linkage and spontaneous awareness– possibly because people who opted to watch TrueView were drawn in by creative content and less focused on branding messages. Google Confidential and Proprietary
17. People who watched ad as a TrueView were 388% moreengaged than those who saw standard pre-roll Saw Standard PreRoll Watched TrueView Ipsos MediaCT and Innerscope Research Inc. All Rights Reserved Google Confidential and Proprietary 17
18. A single viewing of any format has no significant impacton aided brand awarenessPrompted Brand Awareness 96% 96% 95% 94% Control Skipped TrueView Watched TrueView Saw Standard PreRoll All respondents (n=2,000) Google Confidential and Proprietary 18 Q3. Which of the following brands of [CATEGORY] have you heard of? Ipsos MediaCT. All Rights Reserved
19. People who watched standard pre-roll report highest levelsof unaided brand awarenessSpontaneous Brand Awareness 7% 5% 2% 1% Control Skipped TrueView Watched TrueView Saw Standard PreRoll All respondents (n=2,000) Google Confidential and Proprietary 19 Q2. Which is the FIRST brand that comes to mind when you think of [CATEGORY]? Ipsos MediaCT. All Rights Reserved
20. The standard pre-roll delivered higher brand linkageCorrectly naming the Brand (amongst Recognisers) 85% 78% 64% Skipped TrueView Watched TrueView Saw Standard PreRoll Recognisers of the ad Google Confidential and Proprietary 20 Q8b. What brand or company was it for? [OPEN END] Ipsos MediaCT. All Rights Reserved
21. Results suggest possible higher uplift to metrics across the purchase funnel as a result of viewing TrueView ad NB: results not statistically significant Control Skipped Ad Watched Saw TrueView Standard PrerollFavourability 48% 48% 52% 50%Consideration 17% 19% 21% 21%Purchase intent 5% 6% 7% 5%Recommendation 31% 25% 30% 28%All Respondents (n = 2000)(Q4B) Please indicate how favourable or unfavourable you feel towards each of (Q6B) When you (next) come to buy a car, which of these would be the following brands of cars using the below agreement scale. your first choice?(Q5B) Which of the following brands of cars would you consider the next time (Q7B) How likely are you to recommend each of these brands of cars you are thinking of buying a new car? to someone else? Google Confidential and Proprietary 21
22. Recommendations• Take advantage of TrueView’s ability to drive higher viewer response, in addition to the efficiencies created through auction pricing.• Where sensible, include branding in first 5 seconds. This leverages heightened viewer response at this stage and ensures brand impact in all cases– whether the ad is viewed or skipped.• Consider mixed targeting strategy: Use standard prerolls to reach your target audience and use TrueView ads to achieve broader reach in an efficient way. Google Confidential and Proprietary 22
23. Thank you Google Confidential and Proprietary 23