What is Infrastructure as a Services ?
● Network, Storage and Compute offered on-demand
● Basically servers in the cloud
● You are still on the hook to config and manage the
cloud & stack
● Example : Amazon EC2
What is Platform as a Services ?
● It's an application platform
● Basically, app runtime environment in the cloud
● PaaS configures & manages the Cloud & stack for
● Example: OpenShift
What is Software as a Services ?
● It's an on-demand application
● Nothing to install and configure
● Example: Salesforce, Gmail
So, why should I use PaaS ?
● Realize the benefits of the cloud quickly
● Let the PaaS configure, manage and scale the stack
● Make deployment to the cloud easy
● Focus on your app & users not the stack
What is gears?
A gear is a resource constrained container that runs
one or more user-specified software stacks, also
known as cartridges. Each gear has a limited amount
of RAM and disk space.