1. Ann S. Michaelsen Ingunn K. Wiig BLOCK SCHEDULING IN A 1:1 SCHOOL: ITSLEARNING, PLN, GLOBAL CLASSROOM
2. CONTENTLearning management system – how it is used 1:1 initiative – how we plan the work, Block scheduling – all day subjects from 8:30 – 13:15 PLN building with social media: Skype,Facebook, YouTube, Wikis, blogs and Twitter
3. BLOCK SCHEDULING IN A 1:1 SCHOOL: ITSLEARNING, PLN, GLOBAL CLASSROOM Purpose:In this poster session we want to show how we at Sandvika high school in Norway use the learning managementplatform itslearning as a tool to develop a Personal Learning Network that expands the borders of the classroom. We want to showcase how we organize our pedagogy to support student-centered learning with the use of digital tools and resources. And how important it is to have the school leadership group on-board.
4. BLOCK SCHEDULING IN A 1:1 SCHOOL: ITSLEARNING, PLN, GLOBAL CLASSROOM Objectives: We will be show how to use social media like Skype, Facebook, YouTube, Wikis, blogs and Twitter to get in contact with students and teachers from other parts of the world. The combination of an LMS that is only accessed by students and teachers and the social web used by all is unique as a tool for participation and collaboration. The students receive assessment from teachers and peers inside the LMS and communicate and learn from peersin the outside world using social media. The teachers introduce new material to the students via dedicated YouTube channels shared in the LMS and that is complemented by exercises and feedback from the teacher and fellow students. The exercises focus on mastery based learning where you have to master a concept before you get to progress to the next. It is self-paced differentiated learning where every student can progress individually and the teacher can keep track of this. e to show how it is possible to use digital age learning in an authentic real-world practice. We will show how block scheduling is necessary to be able toimplement a true problem based learning allowing the teacher time to focus on higher value activities like running simulations with students, doing actual interventions with students and getting students to teach each other.
5. BLOCK SCHEDULING IN A 1:1 SCHOOL: ITSLEARNING, PLN, GLOBAL CLASSROOM By using Itslearning as a common platform for all school work, we have a secure base where the students can exchange and find information that theycan share with fellow students and their teachers. This is called the student s primary PLN, where they can both co-operate with others and create theirown, individual plans. To expand that PLN we use social networks like Skype,Facebook, YouTube, Wikis, blogs and Twitter to get in contact with students and teachers from other parts of the world. These secondary PLNs are usedto enhance our primary goal: we want our students to become great problem finders and solvers in their own right. We want them to take this ability with them and keep learning outside the classroom as well, learning for life. Our firm belief is that we can, through this platform and the use of socialnetworks, cater to the needs of pupils at every level, and give them all a sense of mastery.
6. LEARNING MANAGEMENTSkjermutklipp ta tt: 20.06.2012 10:53
12. BLOCK SCHEDULING - 1:1 - BLOG Example of goals for students: Create an outline of my project Write my introduction Find (number) pictures about… Finish (number) slides for my Power Point/Keynote Find at least three database articles on theme use these search engines… Draft at least three paragraphs Peer-coach your shoulder partner and give edit so-and-so’s essay Other goals for the day