Hello and welcome to this workshop called…My name is…Today we will (agenda) ->
To give you an outline of what we are going to do in the next 90 minutes I will quickly run you through the agenda.First of all I will tell you a bit more about the organization European Schoolnet, where I work, then I will talk about scientix – a project we are managing on behalf of the European Commission.Live browsing, etcAfter that I will show you how eTwinnign and scientix could work well together (teachers get the resource from Scx and find partners for a collaboration on eTw)Finally you will have some time to look through the Scientix resources and come up with possible collaboratie projects
European Schoolnet is an organization that is set in Brussels. We are a Network…A few words on what the European Schoolnet is/doesWe are dedicated to ...Our mission is to improve and raise the quality of education in Europe.
SLIDE OF EUN PROJECTSEUN runs a big number of projects on Internet safety, SCHOOL COLLABORATION (E-Twinning), E-SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND RESEARCH, as well as many SCIENCE PROJECTS. The logos that you can see here on the slide are only some of the Science projects that EUN is involved in, but as you can imagine there are many more science projects out there. –> next slide
This is a selection of EU projects on science education. Year after year, hundreds of science education projects are funded by the European Commission but apart from the teachers or researchers directly involved in these projects not many people hear about the results obtained, especially when the projects are over. That’s whereScientix comes in.
Live browsingIt is a project EUN is managing on behalf of the European Commission.Scientix facilitates dissemination and sharing of best practices in science and Maths education in EuropeThe objective of the Scientix portal is to ensure that the knowledge and results of the projects reach a larger audience. Scientix was created to facilitate regular dissemination and sharing of know-how and best practices in science education across the European Union. Scientix also offers a number of workshops for teachers and researchers/project managers, such as this oneAnd Scientix has organized a big European Conference that took place in May 2011 in Brussels, which was a big success. The next Scientix conference will take place in May 2014.
Collaboration facilitated through eTwinningScientix provides a big number of resources, through eTw teachers can find other interested teachers who might collaborate on a cross-EU project.
Forexamplethisproject on Scratch programming.A group of teacherswhoshared a commoninterest in using Scratch in theirlessonsfoundeachothereTw. Theylearned about Scratch during one of the inGeniousCommunities of pratices last year and thendevelopend a projecttogether. -> SAY somewords on inGenious (there are practices thatteacherscan test and evaluate, inGoffers online chats for students and CoPs for teachers on manydifferenttopics….)
inGenious is the European Coordinating Body in Science,Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM). It isa joint initiative launched by European Schoolnet andthe European Roundtable of Industrialists (ERT) aiming toreinforce young European’s interest in science education andcareers and thus address the future skills gapThrough a strategic partnership between major industries and education Ministries of Education, inGenious has the objective to increase the links between science education and careers, by involving up to 1,000 classrooms throughout Europe.inGenious pilot schoolsFind practices that are provided by industries! Test those practices and evaluate them using questionnairesTeachers from the pilot schools will be invited to the annual Summer School Take apart in chats and Communities of PracticesinGenious SchoolsFind practices that are provided by industries!Take apart in chats and Communities of Practices
Group work: Build groups of 4-5 teachers -> maybedepending on the subjectstheyteach.Thentheyneed to findinterestingresources on Scientix and come up with possible projects-> Aim: to show how theycould go about it in the future.
In the case of teaching materials, some of them are available for the translation on demand service. This means that if a Scientix user finds a teaching material that is not available in his/her preferred language, as soon as he/she is registered on the portal, he/she can request an additional translation of the teaching materials.
How to Moodle – the courses Click on the little Scientix man
U enter this page Here you have an overview of the Moodle Courses added by ScientixYou cannot access themYou will have to registerGo to login – located in the upper right corner of the page.
If you inter xperimenia arrive to this page where you can find all needed materials and discriptions in order to perform xperimenia activities with you students
I will now introduce you to the xperiments
1. Workshop eTwinning & Science Projects Getting inspiration from Scientix eTwinning conference 2013, Lisbon 14-16 March Barbara SchwarzenbacherScientix is financed under the European Unions SeventhFramework Programme for Research and Development
2. Outline of this workshop: • European Schoolnet • Introduction to the Scientix portal (resources, moodle courses & live browsing) • Example of a collaborative teaching project • Future eTwinning & Scientix projects: brainstormingScientix is financed under the European Unions SeventhFramework Programme for Research and Development
3. Network of 30 Ministries of Education in Europe Support schools in Promote the Europeanbringing about the best use dimension in schools of technology in learning and education Improve and raise the quality of education in Europe Scientix is financed under the European Unions Seventh Framework Programme for Research and Development
4. Scientix is financed under the European Unions SeventhFramework Programme for Research and Development
5. European science, maths and technology projectsScientix is financed under the European Unions Seventh Framework Programme for Research and Development
6. Dissemination and sharing of best practices in Science and Maths education in Europe Resources -> Translation on demand, Moodle courses, events, news,… SCIENTIX Workshops for teachers and/or portal researchers in STEM education www.scienti x.eu European Conference: Past: 6-8 May 2011, Brussels Upcoming: May 2014, BrusselsScientix is financed under the European Unions SeventhFramework Programme for Research and Development
7. Collaboration facilitated through eTwinning • Find resources on Scientix Step 1 • Use translation on demand service • Find interested teachers through Step 2 eTwinning • Collaborate and set up a project Step 3Scientix is financed under the European Unions SeventhFramework Programme for Research and Development
8. Example of a project set up by teachers Funny Scratching in Scratch: http://tinyurl.com/dyybzgbScientix is financed under the European Unions SeventhFramework Programme for Research and Development
9. inGenious - ECB Activities http://ingenious-science.eu• Collecting practices / activities for schools from industry• Pilot schools – test + evaluate practices  info for new practices• Webinars / chats: experts answering questions from students• Workshops, academies, summer schools for teachers• Online Communities of practice / discussions• Dissemination / information on careers in industry• School – industry collaboration needs analysis• Network of 1000 schools by 2013• Setting up of STEM National PlatformsinGenious is partially supported by the European Commission’s FP7programme – project ECB – European Coordination Body (Grant agreementNº 266622). The content of this document is the sole responsibility of theconsortium members and it does not represent the opinion of the EuropeanCommission and the Commission is not responsible for any use that might bemade of information contained herein. ingenious-science.eu
10. Group work and brainstorming: Aim: Find a resource on Scientix and see how it could be turned into an eTwinning project Examples: • Xplore Health Toolkit • Moodle courses (eg. Earth’s Radius - Eratosthenes’ Method • BeagleScientix is financed under the European Unions SeventhFramework Programme for Research and Development
11. More information • European Schoolnet Science Programme Manager / Scientix project manager: Dr Agueda Gras-Velazquez, email@example.com • European Schoolnet Web Editor / Scientix portal content manager: Přemysl Velek, firstname.lastname@example.org • Scientix Project Officer, DG Research, European Commission: Noora ERONEN, email@example.com www.scientix.euScientix is financed under the European Unions SeventhFramework Programme for Research and Development
12. THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR ATTENTION AND PARTICIPATION!Scientix is financed under the European Unions SeventhFramework Programme for Research and Development