life stage is
women love and
hate at the same
During menopauze, women often feel rotten!
Constanly thinking about death.
“My mother is going to have to stop lying about her age because
pretty soon I'm going to be older than she is.”
• Boomer women?
o … the grips of a midlife crisis
o … going through menopause
o … considering cosmetic makeovers
o …caring for elderly parents while parenting own children and working full
And still … Boomer women are reinventing themselves!
• The sheer number of boomer women is changing the image of midlife
women like no other generation before.
o Boomer women are more educated, spiritual, wealthy, healthier, … than
any generation before.
o It's no secret … nowadays Boomer women want to look younger!
o They are choosing to follow their own passions.
Yes, the times they are changing … terms like mature (overripe),
middle-aged (frumpy) and senior (out to pasture) fail to convey
their vitality and potential
• The age of female riders is increasing, today averaging 42 years old*
• Since Sept 2008, the number of women over 55 on FB has tripled and
makes up the social network's fastest-growing age group.
Boomer women feel a lot more confident now compared to
when they were young …
• Constructive view upon life and growing old
• Finding renewed energy
• More comfortable with their own body (and
face), with their looks.
• And interesting for Philips:
• Boomer women wish to pamper themselves a
• They love luxury
• They consume a lot
Women after menopauze feel more confident and gain
strength : Time for a ‘Comeback’
• Female Empowerment! Overall women have an optimistic view on
life after menopause:
• @work: having some responsibility challenging and
• @home: fulfillment from children growing towards young
• Feeling that personal and social life is very rich (family, friends,
art, theatre, books, …)
• Not taking themselves too seriously, but they finally want
recognition from society.
• Feeling confident and competent to deal with life and
problems as they happen
Almost 2,000 aged between 45 and 60 were asked what books they liked and why.
2/3 said they were keen on raunchy scenes in novels.
1/2 said sex in books was 'titillating'
1/10 actively chose books which featured lots of sex.
Harmonized Need States Model - 9 different female archetypes
* 3 partners - + 20 years of experience
[The Spunky Young [The Social
Minded] [The Cougar] Networker]
Lady] [Mother Nurturer]
Modest/ submissive woman
So how do these midlife women deal
with unwanted facial hair?
Unwanted facial hair also
makes boomer woman feel …
UNFEMININE it is a
Unwanted facial hair also makes boomer woman feel …
UNCLEAN, not fresh
hair also makes
boomer woman feel
It is a shame and
Unwanted facial hair also makes
boomer woman feel …
the world is UNFAIR
Though boomer women are very vain, they are also more
experienced, and hence they know to deal with unwanted facial
hair growth in a more mature way.
• It is ‘just another sign of getting older’…. Damned! I hate it!
• Let’s do sth about it: let’s find the best way to remove it/make it
• No stress, not taking it too serious, but let’s do sth about it
rather today than tomorrow.
• Price is less of an issue, as long as the tool/means/expert gives
me what I deserve.
Any new concept for removing
unwanted facial hair should be:
• Very personal
• Very feminine
• Very facial specific
• Very small