Note: Change visual to local currency as needed Key Takeaway: The new Intel® Atom™ processor was designed ‘from the ground up’ for simple, Internet-centric devices. This new technology has the ability to open a new era in mobile computing and offers more types of devices for mobile users to stay connected. Intel® brings to life a new class of affordable, easy to use Netbooks and Mobile Internet Devices (MIDs). These simple devices are focused on an Internet-centric user, designed for tasks such as browsing, photo sharing, video viewing, and social networking. What is the Intel® Atom™ processor? Intel has extended our architecture, using industry-leading 45nm, Hi-K chips to drive the Internet-focused market with low power, low cost technologies. The Intel® Atom™ processor (formerly “Silverthorne” and “Diamondville”) enables a new class of Mobile Internet Devices (MIDs) and simple, affordable Internet-centric computers, next generation CE devices, and more - putting the best computing technology in your pocket. The Intel® Atom™ processors: designed from the ground-up for low-power and high performance. With screens ranging from 10 to as small as 5 inches, Intel believes these new class of MID and Netbook devices will enable unprecedented Internet access to e-mail, videos, television, games, music, pictures and even office applications, to provide users with unprecedented Internet access and content. MIDs (Mobile Internet Devices): ultra portable, pocket-sized devices, like Apple’s iPhone*. Customers want a supplemental device to access the Internet for staying on top of work and personal lives. Attractive for mobile workers, parents and globe trotters. MIDs can be used for calls, taking/viewing pictures, texting, chatting, e-mail, net browsing, and as a GPS system. MIDs are primarily aimed at consuming content, not creating it. Netbooks are a new category of Internet devices that look similar to a very small notebook with a keyboard and smaller ~10” screen. These are made possible by a new generation of low power, low cost processors, like the n ew Intel ® Atom™ processor. The Intel ® Atom™ processor was designed for these simple, Internet-centric devices. They offer a great solution for Internet access at an affordable price, without the hassle of maintaining and updating software. Like Mobile Internet Devices (MIDs), they don’t typically have a CD/DVD drive. Instead, they come with pre-installed, software running on the Linux or Vista operating system. The small size , long battery life and lower price makes Netbooks a great choice for customers looking for a secondary device for family members or travel. Netbooks are best for consuming content and Internet-centric applications like accessing and working on social networking sites like MySpace*, FaceBook*, YouTube*, and for simple online games. Netbooks can also be used for travel or for note taking in classrooms, and other educational uses by adults or children.
Is Intel getting into the vacuum business???
No, we’re not entering a new business. But this analogy of upright and handheld vacs helps to illustrate a similar opportunity brought about by the introduction of netbooks. We are confident that the right solution for many of your customers is to have both notebooks and netbooks in their home. Lets spend a minute defining what we mean by “netbook”.
Netbooks represent a new category of affordable mobile computing devices purpose-built for simple online usages. The ‘new category’ aspect is important to convey, since netbooks really are not designed to be used in the same way as a notebook. Notebooks have a richer feature set, better performance, and therefore more capabilities. We’ll talk about more about what differentiates a netbook from a notebook in a minute.
And no matter what you want to do, Intel has the very best solution! If you want the very best PC experience, purchase a Centrino2 and Core2Duo based PC. They allow you to not only consume content on the internet but also encode HD video, run multiple applications at the same time, transcode and post a video youtube very quickly If you want the best Internent experience in your pocket, our recently announced Centrino Atom processors are the perfect solution If you want affordable, simple devices, the Intel Atom processor in the form of a netbook or nettop is the perfect solution
Notebook or netbook? This is a new question which has come about very recently in large part as the result of Intel’s innovations in the areas of low power and the world’s smallest microprocessor design. However, there are some critical differences between netbooks and notebooks, so we’ll use this positioning guide to help you talk to consumers about the different capabilities of each.
Now, some final considerations before recommending a netbook. Is your customer reasonably confident that they are just looking for a device for simple online usages like the ones we’ve discussed? Then by all means, netbooks are a fantastic choice! However, in addition to the specific usage examples we just talked about, there are other questions that you may want to ask your customer in order to help them choose the right portable: Is this their first device for using the internet? Help them understand that netbooks are a great introduction to computing, but a full-featured notebook offers more possibilities as they expand their knowledge and comfort level. Think of it as future-proofing their purchase… Do they have a child leaving for college in the near future? Even if their current usage is restricted to simple online usages around the home or while traveling, a child’s computing needs grow exponentially when they move on to higher education. Purchasing a notebook now gives the parent the option of sending it along for the educational ride. Do they foresee any multitasking in the future? There are many examples, but generally the greater processing power of a notebook will make for a better multitasking experience. The internet is a limitless source of content – do they foresee uploading to or downloading from the web? If so they’ll need the storage capabilities of a notebook. Almost as limitless is the supply of software applications. If they think they’ll want to load applications in the future – they’ll need a notebook.
1. N e tb ook P latform R S P TrainingNetbook Platform for ‘08 Value Proposition<DATE> May 2008 <BY: > Mobile Platforms Group Marketing 1
2. Complementary Sales Tools & Assets remove this slide prior to presentationThe following netbook-related materials are also available for your use:Document & Link Format New Rev File LocationNetbook Selling Guide for Field & OEM Customers PPT TBD SMCRNetbook 30.3.30 for Field & OEM Customers PPT June SMCRIntel® Atom™ Processor Marketing Overview Presentation PPT TBD SMCRNetbook Processor/Platform Brief for Field & OEM Customers (public at launch) SMCR (intel.com at PDF Minor edits - late May launch)Intel Internet device processor family direct sample copy PDF TBD SMG Messaging CentralQ2’08 NDA Consumer Sales Guide PDF TBD SMCRBrand Communication Package for Intel® Atom™ processor PPT N/A SMCR Intel Confidential *Other names and trademarks can be claimed as properties of others
3. Complementary Sales Tools & Assets remove this slide prior to presentation• P u rp os e of th is G u id e• Th e p os itioning gu id e is inte nd e d for training O E M s , ch anne l and R S P s u s ing non- N D A gu id e line s .• It is not inte nd e d to b e u s e d with e nd -u s e r cons u m e rs or in re tail (e .g., as collate ral, te ar s h e e ts , m e rch and is ing, e tc).• H ow to U s e th is G u id e :• Th e gu id e is ap p rove d for non-N D A u s e with th e following re s trictions : – Th e m ate rial m ay not b e p os te d on a p u b lic we b s ite or p os te d o n re tail s tore s or s h are d with e nd cons u m e rs . If any u s e b e yond th e ap p rove d non-N D A u s e is d e s ire d , you m u s t ge t ap p roval from you r local or b u s ine s s u nit P R , m arke ting and or le gal p e r b u s ine s s u nit p roce s s .• Vie w in p re se ntation m od e , and d o not d e l te l gal inform ation sl e . e e id• S pe ake r note s are incl e d ud• S h e lf life :• Th e inform ation in th is d ocu m e nt is valid for conte nt p u b lis h e d from M ay 23, 2008 th rou gh S e p te m b e r 26, 2008. N e w p rod u cts or inform ation introd u ce d d u ring th is p e riod m ay re s u lt in an u p d ate to th is d ocu m e nt or a Q & A p u b lis h e d s e p arate ly. Intel Confidential *Other names and trademarks can be claimed as properties of others
4. Introd u cing th e Inte l® Atom ™ p roce s s or. Bu ilt with th e world ’s s m alle s t trans is tors 1 . • Intel® Atom™ processor, new groundbreaking low-power architecture • Designed for small devices with long battery life • Built on Intel® 45nm technology (47+ million transistors on a single chip) • Supports Intel® Core™2 Duo processor instruction set to provide a robust Internet experience¹ Processor comparison based on current Intel® architecture products. Transistor comparison based on 45nm processors inproduction. Intel Confidential *Other names and trademarks can be claimed as properties of others
5. Bu t b e fore we m ove on…Le t’s as k a fe w s im p le qu e s tions … Intel Confidential *Other names and trademarks can be claimed as properties of others
6. Q u e s tion: Wh at d o you re com m e nd to you r cu s tom e r? Motorcycle Car PC Speakers HiFi Speakers or or Maneuverability Basic Needs Or Capacity? Or A Full Experience? Gas Stove Multi-Cooker Economy Business Class Class or or Single Usage Basic Or Luxury? Or Multi-functions? Ans we r: Th at d e p e nd s on… Intel Confidential *Other names and trademarks can be claimed as properties of others
7. … wh at th e ir ne e d s are !Motorcycle Car PC Speakers HiFi Speakers or or Number of Passengers? First Time Buyer? Traffic Conditions? Demanding Expectations?Gas Stove Multi-Cooker Economy Business Class Class or or Single Focus Tasks? Budget Limits? Multitasking? D iffe re nt N e e d s H ave D iffe re nt S olu tions ! Intel Confidential *Other names and trademarks can be claimed as properties of others
8. Is Inte l s e lling oth e r kind s of p rod u cts ? Intel Confidential*Other names and trademarks can be claimed as properties of others
9. Ans we r: NOb u t Inte l Atom ™ p roce ssor h as e nab le d a ® ne w clas s of d e vice s calle d N E TBO O KS and you ne e d to know th e d iffe re nce with wh at you h ave b e e n s e lling s o far - N O TE BO O K S AND N ote b ook N e tb ook Intel Confidential *Other names and trademarks can be claimed as properties of others
10. Wh at is a N e tb ook?S m all, s im p le and afford ab led e vice s to conne ct toth e Inte rne t p owe re d b y th eInte l® Atom ™ p roce s s or Intel Confidential *Other names and trademarks can be claimed as properties of others
11. A N e w C ate gory of D e vice s Want th e “Be s t Inte rne t Want S im p le and Want a R ich e r, F u lle r E xp e rie nce in You r P ocke t”? Afford ab le Inte rne t U s e ? E xp e rie nce ? G e t a M ob ile G e t a N e tb ook G e t a N ote b ook Inte rne t D e vice or a D e s ktop Infotainm e nt, Inte rne t u s e E nte rtainm e nt, P rod u ctivity O n th e G o and M u ltitas king Targe t S P P Targe t S P P Targe t S P P M ID : > $800* N e tb ook: > $250* N ote b ook: > $600* D e s ktop : > $400** Prices are US $ and are just indicative and can vary from Country to country Intel Confidential *Other names and trademarks can be claimed as properties of others
12. N e tb ook P latform for 2008 Inte l® Ato m ™ Inte l® C h ip s e t P roce s s orInte l® Atom ™ P roce s s or N 270 (D iam ond ville ) Intel® Atom™ Processor N270•Based on Intel’s 45nm Hi-K Metal Gate Process Technology•1.6 GHz•533 MHz FSB•512k L2 Cache•1 Core; 2 ThreadsM ob ile Inte l® 945G S E E xp re s s C h ip s e t (C alis toga) 945GSE• 133 MHz Core Frequency ICH7-M• Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950• Single Channel DDR2 400/533 Memory Support Intel Confidential – INTERNAL ONLY *Other names and brands may be claimed as the property of others. All dates, plans and features are preliminary and subject to change without notice.
13. N e tb ooks In You r Life D is cove r th e Bring th e Inte rne t Inte rne t With You Blog and S u rf S m all and Ligh t E m ail and C h at Long Batte ry Life S ocial N e tworking Wire le s s C onne ctivity Le arn on G e t S tarte d with th e Inte rne t th e Inte rne t H om e work E as y to U s e R e s e arch Afford ab le O nline N e ws F irs t Tim e Bu ye rsN ow E ve ryone C an C onne ct, Le arn and S h are Intel Confidential *Other names and trademarks can be claimed as properties of others
14. N ote b ook or N e tb ook?Le t’s h e lp you r cu s tom e rs m ake th eright m ob ile ch oice ! Intel Confidential *Other names and trademarks can be claimed as properties of others
15. F orm Factors N ote b ook N e tb ook ” -1 7ay ” 1 0 ay 1 4s p l 7- p l di d is M u ltip le F orm F actors O p tical D rive S m all & Ligh t Flash storage and or HarddrivesLarger Harddrives, HD/DVD drives upto 80GB, optional external opticals, smaller keyboard Intel Confidential *Other names and trademarks can be claimed as properties of others
16. N e tb ooks and N ote b ooks - C om p le m e nt E ach O th e rC re ate , E d it and S tore C onte nt on N ote b ooks Vie w C onte nt Anywh e re with N e tb ooks • E d it P h otos • Vie w P h otos • R ip M u s ic • S tre am M u s ic • E ncod e Vid e os • Watch O nline Vid e os Intel Confidential *Other names and trademarks can be claimed as properties of others
17. As k you r cu s tom e r wh at th e y ne e d b e fore m aking a re com m e nd ation If no or not s u re , h e re are s om e s ce narios wh e re a note b ook wou ld b e b e tte r: • M u ltitas king p e rform ance • G re at 3D e xp e rie nce• F irs t tim e P C b u ye r?• S im p le Inte rne t u s e ?• G re ate r p ortab ility? • G re ate r u p grad e ab ility • Ins tall ap p lications If ye s , th e n a ne tb ook is a gre at • D o s o m u ch m ore ! ch oice . Intel Confidential *Other names and trademarks can be claimed as properties of others
18. U s e r E xp e rie nce D iffe re ntiation N e tb ooks N ote b ooksC onte nt C ons u m p tion C onte nt C re ation & E d itingBasic Computing Applications Install Advanced Software Download, store and listen to Music, Listening to Music • All th e cap ab ilitie splayne tb ooks PLUS : of CDs • Ins tall S oftware Photo Viewing • D ownload , s tore andphotos,to M u s ic, Edit, store lis te n videos Video Viewing (Streaming) p lay C D s Watch DVDs • E d it and s tore p h otos & vid e os Voice over IP • Watch D VD Video Conferencing, s Instant Messaging • Vid e o-C onfe reweb surfing experience Richer ncing • R ich e r We b S u rfing E xp e rie ncePlaying basic Online Games • OPlay richer, interactive & installed games, p e n, e d it, and s tore large file s Email • Ins tall and p lay rich e r inte large files, Open, edit, store ractive gam e s Social Networking • M u ltitas king Multi-tasking Intel Confidential *Other names and trademarks can be claimed as properties of others
19. Netbook vs . Notebook Netbook Notebook Device for Internet Multi-purpose PCUsage Performance for Multi-tasking, Content Purpose built for Internet use Creation, Intense Workloads & Internet Web: Learn, Communicate, Play & Entertainment, Productivity & Rich View WebSize Compact form factor Range of form factors (7-10” screen) (> 10” screen)Processor Price ~$250 -$350 * $400 and above * * Prices are US $ and are just indicative and can vary from Country to countryBrands Includes: Core™2 Family includes Dual Core & Single Core Ultra-low Voltage and Dual Core Low Voltage Intel Confidential *Other names and trademarks can be claimed as properties of others
20. C all to Action N e tb ooks are s m all, s im p le and afford ab le d e vice s for th e Inte rne t p owe re d b y th e Inte l® Atom ™ p roce s s or F its You r Life F its You r Life s tyle R e com m e nd N e tb ooks to: Be ginne rs looking to e xp e rie nce d u s e rs wh o e nrich th e ir le arning want p ortab ility to conne ct with th e inte rne t anywh e re all th e tim eG e t S tarte d and G e t G oing with a N e tb ook! Intel Confidential *Other names and trademarks can be claimed as properties of others
21. BACKUP Intel Confidential *Other names and trademarks can be claimed as properties of others
22. Inte l h as th e R igh t P roce s s or to m e e t you r M ob ile N e e d sIntel understands that mobile users have unique needs and has developed differentprocessor technologies to meet these different needs. Notebooks Mobile Internet Devices Netbooks Complete mobile PC – Purpose-built computing Great companion or best choice for most device for ultra-mobile starter device for easy- customers users access to the web Provides the richest, Puts the full Internet Designed for simple most complete mobile experience in your Internet-focused experience pocket activities Intel Confidential *Other names and trademarks can be claimed as properties of others
23. Inte l-p owe re d C las s m ate P C s - p u rp os e -b u ilt for e d u cationTh e N e tb ook P latform for ‘08 enables a simple andaffordable platform for Internet-centric usagemodels C las s m ate P C C ate gory is a s u b -s e t of th e N e tb ook P latform for ‘08 th at is focu s e d on a s p e cific U s age M od e l are a (E d u cation) C u s tom K id / las s room C E d u cation F rie nd ly ID S oftware Wate r R e s is tant R u gge d D e s ign K e yb oard Intel Confidential *Other names and trademarks can be claimed as properties of others
24. A ne tb ook is not a note b ook re p lace m e ntN ote b ook u s age s and m ore … Simple Advanced Creativity Gaming Entertainment Productivityinternet Internet Upload Create Play main- Maintain Rip a photos photo stream a CD or video albums games budgetN e tb ook u s age Watch Create MMORPG Complex Watch a HD SD or HD (online) school DVD video videos games projects Digital Play Stream Maintain Word Content RPG/FPS media a blog processing Creation games LAN Watch a Download Edit parties High-Def Taxes video photos movie Intel Confidential *Other names and trademarks can be claimed as properties of others
25. MID & Netbook Positioning Mobile Internet Devices Netbooks The Best Internet Simple and affordablePositioning experience in your pocket Internet- useWhat’s The SameTechnology Intel® Atom™ Microarchitecture Intel® Atom™ MicroarchitectureOS Primarily Linux*, Some Windows* Linux* and Windows*What’sDifferentSize 4.5”-7” screen (most <6”) 7-10” screenUsage “In hand” usage “Sit down” usage Those who want access to full internet (1) Introduction to computing for 1stTarget Users time buyers/users (2) Secondary device on the go - Gen Y, Active Parents andPrice Mobile Professionals for Internet useWeight >$400 Target $250 SPPBattery Life As light as ~250g As light as ~2lbs As long as ~6 hr As long as 4+ hrWireless WiFi + WWAN, GPS, BT WiFiDevice Examples25 Intel Confidential *Other names and brands may be claimed as the property of others. All dates, plans and features are preliminary and subject to change without notice.