1. LEADERSHIP IS INFLUENCE A LEADER KNOWS THE WAY GOES THE WAY & SHOWS THE WAY
2. FUNCTIONS OF LEADERS
3. CONTENTS Profile Brief Introduction Early life Corporate profile Vision and Mission Leadership Style Reason for success Awards Conclusion
4. PROFILE Born : August 20, 1946 Mysore, India Occupation : Chairman of Infosys Technologies Salary : $50,000 (Infosys) Net worth : $1.6 billion (2010) Spouse : Sudha Murthy Children : 2
5. BRIEF INTRODUCTION N. R. Narayana Murthy is an Indian businessman. Software engineer & the founder of Infosys Technologies. Consulting and IT services company based in India. He is currently the non-executive Chairman of Infosys. He was the CEO of the company for 21 years (1981 - 2002).
6. After stepping down as CEO in 2002. He has broadened his scope of activities. To social services as well as promoting India globally. His estimated net worth is $1.6 billion as of 2010. In 2009, his lectures delivered around the world have been published as a book “A Better India: A Better World”.
7. EARLY LIFE Graduated in electrical engineering from NIE in 1967. Received his masters degree from IIT Kanpur in 1969. His 1st position was at IIM-A as chief systems programmer. He worked on a time-sharing system. Designed and implemented a “BASIC” interpreter for ECIL (Electronics Corporation of India Limited).
8. After IIM-A he then joined Patni Computer Systems in Pune. Murthy met his wife Sudha Murthy in Pune. An engineer working at Tata Engg. and Locomotive Co. Ltd. In 1981, with an investment of Rs.10,000 he founded Infosys. He served as the president of the National Association of Software and Service Companies (1992 to 1994).
9. CORPORATE PROFILE Murthy served as the founder CEO of Infosys for 21 years. At Infosys he articulated, designed and implemented the Global Delivery Model which has become the foundation for the huge success in IT services outsourcing from India. Murthy serves as an independent director on the board of the DBS Bank of Singapore. He also serves as a director on the Central Board of the Reserve Bank of India.
10. He is also an Independent Director on the board of HSBC. He also serves on the boards of the Ford Foundation and UN Foundation. He is the chairman of the governing body of the International Institute of Information Technology – Bangalore. Chairman of the Governing Body of the Indian Institute of Management, Ahmadabad.
11. Murthy retired from his executive position at Infosys on 20 August 2006. However, he continues as the Non-Executive Chairman of the board. Murthy started a new venture capital fund called Catamaran Venture Fund with the money he got by selling 800,000 Infosys shares worth 174Crores.
12. VISION AND MISSION Vision “To be a globally respected corporation that provides best-of-breed business solutions, leveraging technology, delivered by best- in-class people." Mission "To achieve our objectives in an environment of fairness, honesty, and courtesy towards our clients, employees, vendors and society at large."
13. LEADERSHIP STYLEThe style of Narayana Murthi has mixture of some styles that are given below…… POSITIVE STYLE- Mr. Murthi has a positive style of leadership i.e. a leader promote his follower to work hard by offering them rewards. Mr. Murthi promote his employee as per their ability.He always believe in Honesty and Loyalty.
14. DEMOCRATIC STYLE- Also known as participative style. The authority is decentralised.AS IN Case of Mr. Murthi, he founded INFOSYS with 6 other professionals. The decision are taken wholeheartedly. He was the CEO of the company for 21 years, from 1981 to 2002. Under his leadership, Infosys was listed on NASDAQ in 1999. He served as the Executive Chairman of the Board and Chief Mentor from 2002 to 2006.
15. Mr. Murthi is a good leader for his employers as for being a good leader one has a clear vision and a clear objective for himself and for his employers,that he had. He started infosys at the share of $250 in 1981 and this time share of infosys are more than $2 billion U.S. Mr. Murthy articulated, designed and implemented the Global Delivery Model which has become the foundation for the huge success in IT services outsourcing from India.
16. He has led key corporate governance initiatives in India. He is an IT advisor to several Asian countries. Mr. Murthy serves as an independent director on the boards of several global companies including Unilever, NV, Unilever, plc and HSBC
17. REASONS FOR SUCCESS Invest in well understood, proven products & not just R&D. Given stakeholders bad news proactively & early. Speed, imagination & excellence. Leaders in the making. Respect for the competition.
18. AWARDS Padma Shri Government of India Padma Vibhushan Government of India Officer of the Legion of Honor Government of France Order of the British Empire Government of United Kingdom
19. ACHIVEMENTS Voted as the managed company on India. Biggest exporters of software. First to follow the US generally accepted accounting principles before going for Nasdaq listing in 1991. Championed corporate governance in India.
20. CONCLUSION Narayan murthy is a visionary who applied his leadership skills to built one of the biggest IT company in India. Stress on building & maintaining relationship. Innovation is only means to sustain customer loyalty in a flattening world.
21. Presented by :Chintan MansharamaniAnkit Chauhan