Dept. of Computer Science
UNIT 3- Document Preparation &
Inserting audio and video
Use of shortcut keys
Use of references and citations
Making effective presentations
Knowledge of various file formats and ways of
converting files from others.
Why Word Processing ?
Documentation makes things more real.
Word wrap eliminates concern about where to end a line.
Additional support with spelling and grammar checkers.
Report (document) formation required for all the courses
Definition of Word Processing
• Manipulates text data to produce a letter, report, memo or
any other type of correspondence.
• Grouping of related words, sentences and paragraphs is a
• Create, modify, store, retrieve and print all or part of
Contents in Word Processing
Create, save, preview and print documents
Format text and paragraphs
Check spelling and grammar
Add page numbers, headers, and footers
Create and modify tables
Change the page orientation
Divide a document into sections
Insert graphics, picture, watermark, formulas, and Equations
Use of Shortcut keys
Proofreading and reviewing documents
Create citations and a bibliography
• Every command in Office can be executed
with either the mouse or the keyboard.
• It is faster to use the keyboard.
• There is no right or wrong technique, just
References and Citations
• Source: Anything you use to research your topic, including
books, magazines, websites, movies, etc..
• Citation: A formal reference to the work of others usually a
parenthetical reference to the author.
• List of work sited, references or bibliography: A list of sources
cited in a document or consulted while researching a topic.
Why Citations and references?
• A citation tells the readers where the information came from.
• A reference gives the readers details about the source so that
they have a good understanding of what kind of source it is
and could find the source themselves if necessary.
• Give credit to the original author of work you use.
• best way to avoid charges of plagiarism.
• Asserting the claims/ results in your own work.
Creating a New Source and Inserting a Citation
To create a new source and insert a citation to it, click the Insert
Citation button in the Citations & Bibliography group on the
References tab, and then click Add New Source to open the
Create Source dialog box.
Editing a Citation or a Source
• Although a citation looks like ordinary text, it is actually
contained inside a content control.
• If you need to add additional information to the citation, click
the citation to display the content control, click the Citation
Options arrow that appears, and then click Edit Citation to
open the Edit Citation dialog box.
Generating a List of Works Cited
To create a list of works cited for a document, click the
Bibliography button in the Citations &Bibliography group on the
References tab, and then click one of the options in the list.
1. Create a 6 page formatted documents with landscape
orientation of the 3rd and 5th page while others be in portrait.
Start page numbering from 2nd page onwards (First being the
2. Prepare a report of around 6 pages for the facility/information
provided by your college website and also suggest what should
more be there on the website. Divide the document in different
chapters and each chapter with their title should appears in their
headers Also add page numbers that starts with 2nd page.
Contents in Presentation
o Different ways to make effective presentations
o Introduction to Microsoft PowerPoint (Basic
o Insertion of Tables, charts, smart-art Graphic, pictures
from file, clip art.
o Hyper-linking different files in one presentation and
Inserting action buttons
o Use of Animation
o Insertion of Audio-Video Content
o Audio-video Editing