1. About Sab TV• IT is an Indian general entertainment television channel launched on April 23, 2000 by Sri Adhikari Brothers.• In 2003, it was repositioned as a comedy-centric channel.• In March 2005, SAB TV was acquired by Sony Entertainment Television and was transformed into a youth-centric channel.• In June 2008, the channel announced that it would return to its roots by being repositioned as a comedy-centric channel.• SAB is a part of the network of television channels owned by Multi Screen Media in India along with Sony TV, SET Max, and SET PIX.• SAB has a strong consumer perception as a comedy channel.
2. Promotional and Positioning Strategy2003-05 2005-09• Before 2003 – a relief channel • After being acquired by• After 2003 the Adhikaris went Sony, just to complement whole hog down the humour Sony’s image it was road. repositioned as a youth• “Only Smiles, No Tears" became oriented channel. the channels new tag line while • The product mix included SAB TVs logo base line shows like ‘Left Right "sab se alag" (different from everyone) Left’, ‘Jersey No. 10’, ‘Detective reinforced the point. Doll’, ‘Sirf Stories’, ‘Full Masti• Product mix included Humour 88.2’ and ‘GupShup Coffee based shows like Shows Hassi Shop’ etc. Woh Phassi, Sahib Biwi Ke • It was during this period that Gulaam , Dhaaba Junction Sab TV embarked on the digital route for their promotions
3. Promotional and Positioning Strategy (Contd..)• 2009 onwards – Sab TV again underwent repositioning to become a comedy centric channel. – To promote the new positioning startegy it launched The ‘Asli Mazaa SAB ke saath aata hai’ campaign – The campaign is a one of its kinds, where the brand name, brand promise, product promise and the channel strategy are all woven into one simple consumer insight.
4. Brand Communication Strategy• TVCs – The latest TVC for the brand campaign revolves around the theme Jab Sab ho saath toh baan jaaye baat‘ underlining Asli Mazaa Sab Ke Saath Aata Hai. – It features a crying baby, who despite numerous efforts by the family members, cannot be put to sleep. Just when they are wondering how to put the little one to sleep, the entire family comes together and hums the popular lullabuy ‘lalla lalla lori’ and the child peacefully goes to sleep. – SabTV has a separate TV campaign for each and every show. – TVCs are being aired on channels like India TV, Zee Cinemas, Star Gold, Filmy, Cartoon Network etc.
5. Brand Communication Strategy (Contd..)• Programming Mix – SabTV offers light hearted entertainment through shows. Its programming mix includes ‘Ammaji Ki Galli’, ‘Papad Pol’, ‘Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chasmah’, ‘Sajan Re Jhoot Mat Bolo’, ‘Lapataganj’,’ FIR’, ‘Gutur Gu’, ‘Happy Housewives Club’, besides classic films on weekends. – Comedy with a difference • Gutur Gu - India’s first silent comedy • Bhootwala Serial – Horror show with comic twist • RK Laxman ki duniya - a comic satire on modern times – It also launched of SAB Ka Evening Show’ in Nov 2011. The one and hour long show follows a non-episodic format in the comedy genre.• Radio Advertising – Sab has started ‘Sab ke dammad ji’, which is aired every day across Hindi speaking markets.
6. Brand Communication Strategy (Contd..)• Events – SAB Ka Mela in Ahmedabad • The first of its kind Mela by Channel SAB • SAB KA Mela was for the entire family with various zones like shopping, gaming, food, entertainment, social and cultural zone family and kids’ zone – OOH – Put up hoarding on buses in Mumbai, using backlits and cinema slides at Fame Cinemas across India etc.• Mobile Marketing – Launched in collaboration with Quasar Media – Different and compact website for mobile internet users – Various other options like SMS alerts, SMS jokes (in collaboration with santabanta.com),ringtones download etc.
7. Brand Communication Strategy (Contd..)• Digital Marketing – Available on YouTube, Twitter and a special presence on Facebook. – Launched ‘Luv 4 India’ , a Facebook application on 62nd Republic Day, where people tag themselves on the Indian Tricolour. As more and more people tag themselves, the app unfurls into a beautiful mosaic of pictures, all congregating to form the Indian Tricolour. It was aimed at giving Indians an opportunity to express their love for the country. – Fan page on Facebook for channel and individual programmes. – Has a dedicated channel on youtube.com where people can watch almost all shows online.• Comic Strips
8. Brand Communication Strategy (Contd..)• Jokes - The grade 5 teacher one day asked the children in her class to make rhymes with their names. First up was Dan. A very adventurous child. My name is Dan, When I grow up to be a man, I want to go to India and Japan, If I can, If I can, If I can. Very good she said to Dan. She then told Sally that it now was her turn. My name is Sally, When I grow up to be a lady, I want to have a baby, If I can, if I can, if I can. That is good Sally, she said. But maybe one day you will change your mind. Next up was Sam he was the naughty one in the class. My name is Sam, When I grow up to be a man, Never mind India and Japan, I gonna help Sally with her plan, I know I can.