• Over 2.7 billion people were using the internet in the first quarter of
2013, according to ITU. This represented 39% of the world's
• Internet user adoption rate by region, in Q1 2013:
- Europe: 75%
- The Americas: 61%
- CIS: 52%
- Arab States: 38%
- Asia & Pacific: 32%
- Africa: 16%
Global Internet Trends and India’s Standing
• India has been identified as the fastest growing online market during the same
period, with a 41% rise.
• This is much higher than China (5%), Brazil(6%) and Russia (20%).
‘super seven’ categories
Categories Year-on-year Growth % July 2012 Reach %
Games 60 41
News 54 80.3
Search 43 91.5
Retail 43 59.9
Health 43 21.1
Social Networking 43 95.5
Travel 41 44
Top 10 Cities
• Google and Facebook topped the growth charts, at 59.7 and 52.1 million users respectively.
Online Retail Boom
• As many as 3 in 5 internet users in India visit retail sites, which have registered a growth of 43% over the
• The statistics indicate a close contest between Snapdeal and Flipkart in horizontal retail, and Jabong and
Myntra in the lifestyle category
• Indian Railways tops the charts with a 19.2% reach in July 2012, followed by MakeMyTrip at
11.6% and Yatra Online at 8.3%
Ecommerce transactions in India
• Direct debit or Netbanking is the most popular payment method as per figures from the second
quarter of 2012, with a 58% share. Visa and MasterCard follow at 21% and 12% respectively.
• IRCTC averages at $17 (INR 935) per transaction, while Flipkart indicates $35 (INR 1925) per
Mixed Growth Witnessed in Other Categories
• Business and finance has grown at 35%, with SBI being the most popular bank. ICICI Bank follows at the second
position, and HDFC at the third.
• Real estate has grown 38%, career services have grown 30% and the automotive category has shown a growth
• This category has shown a growth of over 37.3% and the engagement figure is indicated to be 3.4
billion videos each month.
• 52% of all the videos belong to the entertainment category, and the soaring viewership in the
video category has resulted in a corresponding boom in video advertising.
Growth in mobile engagement
• The number of pages viewed on mobile devices has grown from 3% in July 2011 to 7% in July
• As for the operating systems used in tablets, iOS controls 80% of that market share.
• The statistics presented by comScore suggest that smartphones and tablets are going to
drive usage further through WiFi access.
• A huge growth is expected in the games, health, news and retail categories, with Kedar
pointing out that social media is a central touch point for all categories.
• Going by predictions based on past trends, entertainment will dominate the content
growthacross both mobile devices and PC’s, and categories like travel, news and career
services are expected to continue showing decent growth.
• There’s a projected increase in cash-on-delivery payments, particularly in the retail
category. With India’s internet population expected to get even younger in the coming
years, there’s likely to be a boost in online advertising targeting the youth.
“Ethical, Unmatched, Innovative!"
• Grape5 is a digital agency that blends technology and creativity that
• Specializing in
Social Media Marketing
High Impact Blogging Strategies
alternate customized campaigns
• Grape5 is a results driven entity.
#576, 30th Main Road,
Banashankari 3rd Stage,