1. NISCHR AHSC Industry Plan Alex Hills NISCHR AHSC Manager
2. Background • Industry Task & Finish Group established in late 2011 chaired by Prof Lars Sundstrom • Included representaIon from Industry (MulI‐naIonal and Welsh), Government, NISCHR infrastructure, HEIs and NHS • The group’s remit was to make recommendaIons to NISCHR AHSC as to how we should interact with Industry
3. T&F group recommendaIons RecommendaIons were made and agreed by NISCHR most of which now form part of NISCHR AHSC’s Delivery Plan: • Recommenda)on One: NISCHR should develop an Industry Communica)ons Plan to be implemented by NISCHR AHSC which includes communica;ons with external stakeholders (through a NISCHR AHSC Industry Group), branding, an Industry portal, promo;onal material and promo;onal events. Key Performance Indicators should also be developed and used when marke;ng Wales. • Recommenda)on Two: NISCHR AHSC should take on a performance management role to manage the set up and delivery of commercial research across Wales through co‐ordina;on with NHS R&D and academic research support oﬃces. • Recommenda)on Three: NISCHR AHSC should establish a facilita)on service for commercial R&D in Wales which could include advice on study design, a register of research interests/ specialisms, a development forum for transla;onal research and a register of research resources. • Recommenda)on Four: NISCHR should establish a funding scheme for rapid implementa;on of proof of concept studies.
4. T&F group recommendaIons (2) • Recommenda)on Five: NISCHR AHSC should provide a signpos)ng func)on for relevant exis;ng funding schemes/ calls across Wales and beyond where appropriate and should proac;vely assist companies in accessing these. A funding map, which goes alongside the route map to market should be developed by NISCHR AHSC to facilitate this. • Recommenda)on Six: NISCHR AHSC should con;nue to streamline regulatory and governance process for research in Wales and across the UK, par;cularly looking at propor;onate review approaches. • Recommenda)on Seven: NISCHR AHSC should facilitate access to and the use of model contracts and agreements for Industry in Wales, should scope whether there are any gaps in the provision of model contracts/ agreements and where there are gaps, NISCHR AHSC should take on a lead role of developing model contracts and agreements. • Recommenda)on Eight: NISCHR AHSC should facilitate access to and the consistent use of industry cos)ng templates across Wales and lead on the adapta;on of the Industry cos;ng template for medical devices for SMEs in Wales.
5. Health Research Wales: Service Levels• njzl Innovation Proof of Translation Proof of Proof of First in/w Implementation Commercialisation Clinical Approval Clinical Standard Idea Concept Feasibility Value Humans Testing for Use Use of Care SIGNPOSTING & PROVISION OF INFORMATION FACILITATION: EXISTING SUPPORT & EXPERTISE ACTIVE INVOLVEMENT
6. Service Oﬀerings: • General SignposIng • Partnering / Clinical Access • Feasibility / Site IdenIﬁcaIon • Contracts Advice & Review • CosIngs Support & Advice • Study Set‐up & Management • Performance Management of Studies
7. Service Delivery • Industry Team: – NISCHR AHSC Manager: Alex Hills – Lead Industry Manager: David Powell – 3 Industry Managers (North, South West, South East) – Health Research Wales Co‐ordinator • Health Research Wales website • Health Research Wales telephone service
8. Progress to date • Industry work plan agreed • Industry Managers (SE & N Wales) in post • Commercial Research Register established • Health Research Wales: – Branding agreed and being used – Website procured and under development – Service oﬀerings being reﬁned and implemented – Online tools for Industry under development – Stakeholder Engagement gathering pace – Launch date conﬁrmed: 19th / 20th March at BioWales 2013
9. Contact Us • Alex Hills, NISCHR AHSC Manager • David Powell, Lead Industry Manager – Alex.email@example.com – David.Powell4@wales.nhs.uk – Tel: 02920 196816 www.healthresearchwales.com
10. Launching... 19th / 20th March 2013 Bio Wales conference, Cardiﬀ hcp://www.biowales.com/registraIon/ delegateregistraIon/