http://madamecroquette.wordpress.com/a. What is the product or service?
b. Why are we advertising at all? Our advertising campaign aims to increase brand loyalty through engagement and celebrity endorsement, Katy Perry. We want customers to create an emotional bond with the brand by showing them that Skittles is more than a product. It is an experience and an attitude. Our “Share the Rainbow” campaign wants customers to share their experience of eating Skittles on our website and social media outlets and rewards them with a free popular song.c. Who are we talking to? We are targeting young women from ages 15- 25. Teen and young adults are in a process of self discovery. Females pertaining to this age group search for products that differentiate them from their peers, aiming to have a unique identity within their social realm. Since chocolate is the normal choice for candy, picking Skittles is “different”. So, we want show to our target market that by selecting Skittles, they are going to be perceived as different and unique, like Katy Perry who is our endorser.Moreover, this age bracket is known for being digital natives, which means that their hub is the web,they socialize on social media outlets and like to be heard, which is why we wanted them to share their stories online. Teen and young adults live their life to the fullest, they love music, which helps them find and define their identity. They regard pop stars and celebrities as role models, which is why we selected one of the most famous celebrity pop star of the moment, Katy Perry.http://madamecroquette.wordpress.com/
d. What is your audience’s attitude about the product and how they currently view your product.Chocolate is the go-to candy for most customers, which is why Skittles needs to try harder to be unique and memorable to position itself in the customer’s top of mind selection for candy.Skittles has had many commercials that aim to shock people with their oddity, like the “beard man” commercial. However, these commercials are unidirectional, not asking people to engage with the company via social media. By engaging customers,asking them to share their skittles story and rewarding them with a free song, our commercial stops being “audio wallpaper” and starts being an memorable message because they have to make an active attempt to reach the company. e. What is the single most compelling idea we need to communicate to them? Skittles is a fun candy because Katy Perry likes it and you would never be bored because it offers a variety of fruit flavors and colors.
f. Why should they believe this? Skittles is unique because no other candy is the color of the rainbow and it has never compared itself with other candy brands. Eating Skittles is more than consumption, it is an incredibly fun experience because of the burst of different fruit flavors.g. Desired brand personality/tone? Other competitor candies don’t have unique and fun personalities, so Skittles can use these attributes to differentiate itself. We want to position Skittles with a fun and unique personality. We also wanted to infuse the brand with an irreverent air because teens and young adults are attracted to rebelliousness and often criticize what is generally accepted.Basically, you can play it safe by eating chocolate or you can be creative and different and go with skittles. In short, Skittles is fun, unique, and our customers don’t go with the norm, because they eat Skittles instead of chocolate.h. Executional guidelines, legal requirements, phone numbers, websites, etc. Only include the ones that should be aired with the advertisement and why.We are only advertising the website: Skittles.com. The company website is a hub where customers can inter act with the company by sharing their story, download the new Katy Perry Song, and has links to all the other social media outlets like, Facebook and Twitter. It is also convenient because its is short and easy to remember. http://madamecroquette.wordpress.com/
Create Radio Ad!http://madamecroquette.wordpress.com/
Media. What radio station(s) will you place the ad on and why? The stations we would advertise on are the Hip Hop and Rock/Pop stations.We researched a poll of of the most popular radio stations and from the results, we selected the top stations: 94.9, 106.1, 97.3,107.7 and 105.3. In order for our target market to feel the connection the ad has with the celebrity, they have to know who Katy Perry is. Stations that spin hip hop, pop, and rock plays many tops songs by this artist and both her voice and songs are quite familiar to our audience group. To illustrate our target audience’s familiarity with Katy Perry, we went to the Wild 94.9 website and they had an article “ Katy Perry changes her hair color again.” Moreover, some of these stations have daily sessions that cover very random news or discussions, which relates back to the stations being “unique.” Hip Hop / RapKPTI - 92.7 - Pure Dance KYLD - 94.9 - Hip Hop / Rap (30.6% voted second most popular) KQHT - 95.9 - Hip Hop KDON - 102.5 - Urban Mix KMEL - 106.1 - Hip Hop (31% voted most popular)KEZR - 106.5 - Mix RockKLLC - 97.3 - Alice - Rock KUFX - 98.5 - KFox - Classic Rock KMBY - X103.9 - Alternative Rock KHIP - 104.3 - Classic Rock KFOG - 104.5 - Rock KITS - 105.3 - Alternative Rock (21.2% voted most popular)KPIG - 107.5 - Rock KSAN - 107.7 The Bone (19.9% voted second most popular)http://www.baywideweb.com/Bay-Area-Radio-Poll/Format Music: We are using music to tie in several core attributes of Skittles. The “California Gurls” music video is associated with Candy Land. The video shows Katy Perry and Snoop Dog living in Candy Land and dressed with candy costumes, so people associate the song with candy. It has over 4 million views and several parodies and covers in its honor.The second song “ Double Rainbow” is a viral song with over 29 million hits on You Tube and it is so popular that now its is sold on iTunes. This song is made from another viral video called “Yosemitebear Mountain Giant Double Rainbow”, which is about a guy experiencing a double rainbow. The Yosemitebear Mountain Giant Double Rainbow viral YouTube video has over 30 million views and was featured in many youth-oriented shows. Lastly, You Tube is mostly visited by teens and young adults, which means that they will be familiar with the reference. Celebrity announcer: We are using Katy Perry as a celebrity announcer because she is among the top female pop artist among female teens and young adults. Also, Katy Perry is frequently associated with the rainbow because she has colored her hair from all the rainbow colors and is always dresses in vibrant colors. Also, she is associated with fun and being unique because she is different than the rests of the pop stars. Lastly, she is a perfect fit because teen and young adults see her as a role model, so they will think that what she is doing is cool and fun and will imitate her.Dialogue: We are using dialog to create “theater of the mind” by having a descriptive story. Also, because we want to share Katy Perry’s rainbow story and encourage people to go to the Skittles website to share their story. We wanted to go for an crazy story not only because Skittles’ commercials are surreal to begin with, but also because eccentric stories catch people’s attention, so our commercial stop being “ audio wall paper”. Besides, Katy Perry’s rainbow story resembles the imagery from her video “California Gurls”, so it is easy to imagine it for our target market because they are familiar with the video. http://madamecroquette.wordpress.com/
ScriptHey I’m Katy Perry and want to share my craziest rainbow adventure because I love Skittles. I was looking up at the sky one day at a rainbow when I saw Snoop Dog riding towards me on a cloud of raining Skittles! I grabbed a fistful and as I popped them in my mouth, I was suddenly hit by the intense burst of fruity gooey chewy flavors and textures. It was so amazing that I wrote a song about it. Go to skittles.com to share your rainbow story with me and I’ll share my brand new song-- Double Rainbow with you. --Double Rainbow Song--Katy Perry’s “Double Rainbow” is now available for download at Skittles.com. Taste the Rainbow. Feel the Rainbow. Share the Rainbow. Apply at least three of the guidelines1.Get attention/get to the point: we are getting attention by announcing immediately that Katy Perry is the person who is speaking. Also, the second sentence Katy Perry starts talking about Snoop Dog who is another top hip-hop celebrity. Moreover, she describes an dream-like story that catches peoples attention because it is odd. 2.Stimulate the imagination: We are creating visual images by describing her experience of tasting skittles. The first story is about rainbows and a cloud raining Skittles, which is very descriptive and stimulates the imagination. Also, we are using adjectives like ” burst of fruity gooey chewy flavors and textures”, which gives life to the ad and product. 3.Repeat the brand name: We repeat the brand name four times and the rainbow concept 9 times. However, we incorporate it in the narrative of her story, so it doesn't come across as overselling. 4.Use of sound and music: we are using 2 songs. “The “California Gurls” song is associated with candy because the video shows Katy Perry and Snoop Dog living in Candy Land and dressed with candy costumes. Moreover, we are using the “Double Rainbow Song”, which is a viral music video popular among teens and young adults. We use both of these songs because they are relevant to our young target market. http://madamecroquette.wordpress.com/
1. Radio Advertising Share the Rainbow CampaignAngela Romero@AngelaLRomero
2. ProductFruit flavored, bite- size, hard shelled candy with a chewy center that comes in a variety of shiny colors.
3. Why do Advertising * Increase brand loyalty through engagement & celebrity endorsement. * “Share the Rainbow” campaignThe Target market * We are targeting young women from ages 15- 25 who are digital natives * Females want to be unique, fun, and vibrant, so we picked Katy Perry as an endorser who is perceived as having these qualities * They regard pop stars and celebrities as role models
4. Audience Perspective on the Product * Chocolate is the go-to candy for most customers * Skittles needs to try harder to be unique and memorable to position itself in the customer’s top of mind selection for candy. * By engaging customers and rewarding them with a free song we create a memorable experience.Compelling Idea * Skittles is a fun candy because Katy Perry endorses it * You would never be bored because it offers a variety of flavors.
5. Why Believe * Skittles is unique because no other candy is the color of the rainbow * It has never compared itself with other candy brands. * Eating Skittles is incredibly fun experience because of the burst of different fruit flavors.Brand personality/tone: * Unique, out-of the-box, irreverent, and fun personalityWebsite: Skittles.com * Interaction: Customers can share their story * Download the new Katy Perry song * Links to all social media outlets.
6. Media * Hip Hop and Rock/Pop stations because they are popular among teens and young adults * Most popular stations: 94.9, 106.1, 97.3, 107.7 and 105.3 * These radios stations play Katy Perry because she she is a top pop star and our target market listens to themFormat * Music: Katy Perry’s “California Gurls” and the Skittle’s YouTube parody “Double Rainbow” is a viral song. * Celebrity announcer: Katy Perry is a top pop star * Dialogue theater of the mind, unique story for our Skittles commercial
7. ScriptHey I’m Katy Perry and want to share my craziest rainbow adventurebecause I love Skittles. I was looking up at the sky one day at a rainbowwhen I saw Snoop Dog riding towards me on a cloud of raining Skittles!I grabbed a fistful and as I popped them in my mouth, I was suddenlyhit by the intense burst of fruity gooey chewy flavors and textures. Itwas so amazing that I wrote a song about it. Go to skittles.com to shareyour rainbow story with me and I’ll share my brand new song-- DoubleRainbow with you.--Double Rainbow Song--Dj: Katy Perry’s “Double Rainbow” is now available for download atSkittles.com.Taste the Rainbow. Feel the Rainbow. Share the Rainbow.
8. Applied Guidelines * 1.Get attention by announcing immediately that Katy Perry is the person that is speaking. * 2.Stimulate the imagination: creating visual images by describing her Skittles experience & using adjectives * 3.Repeat the brand name: Skittles is repeated 4 times & the rainbow concept 9 times * 4.Use of sound and music: “The “California Gurls” & “Double Rainbow Song”