• Shane dropped out of school before he
completed his GCSEs. He started off in Uttoxeter
making short films with his friends and
family, but without any film festivals in the
area, no one saw them. However, after one short
was given a run in the local cinema, it soon
became popular. Meadows enrolled on a
Performing Arts course at Burton College. Shane
Meadows began to gather attention when a film
scout took him on as an amateur film director.
The most of his films have been set in the
Style and Genre of films
• According to The Biography Channel ‘Much of
the content of his films are semiautobiographical and based on his experiences
• The main genre’s of Shane Meadows films are:
• Social – realism
• In This is England Meadows worked with Thomas Turgoose.
Thomas is an English actor, best known for his role as Shaun Field
in This Is England television.
• He also worked with Ian Brown. Ian is an English musician, best
known as the lead singer of the rock band The Stone Roses.
• Shane Meadows also worked with Paddy Considine. Paddy is an
English actor, film director, screenwriter, and musician. He is
known for his portrayals of dark, troubled, and morally or mentally
• Meadows also worked with an Irish actor Colin Farrell. After getting
a role on BBC's Ballykissangel in 1998, he quit acting school in
• Shane also got the chance to work with Elizabeth Berrington. She is
an English actress, who has featured in British television series such
as Waterloo Road and The Bill
Dead Man’s Shoes
• 'Dead Man's Shoes' is based on the unpleasant side
of his childhood. It was inspired by a friend who had
been bullied, had a drug problem and then
committed suicide. Meadows said "I couldn't believe
that, going back ten years later, he had been totally
forgotten in the town - it was as if he had never
existed. I was filled with anger against the people
who had bullied and pushed the drugs on him".
• Somers Town in 2008, a short film, only 75
minutes in which Thomas Turgoose has run
away to London from a lonely, difficult life in the
Midlands. Through a chance encounter he meets
Marek , a Polish immigrant living with his father
in Somers Town, central London.
This is England
• This is England is a story about a troubled boy
growing up in England, in 1983. He comes
across a few skinheads on his way home from
school, after a fight. They become his new best
friends. Based on experiences of director Shane
24 7: Twenty Four Seven
• In a working-class town, the juveniles have nothing
to do than hang around in gangs. One day, Alan
Darcy, a motivated man with the same of youth
experience, starts trying to get the young people off
the street and into something they can believe in:
Boxing. He opens a training facility which is
accepted by them. Darcy manages to organize a
public fight for them to prove what they have
learned. With the day of the fight drawing closer, the
young boxers get more and more excited.
Development and style.
• As Shane was judging films, A space A.O.P
Caught is eye, his girlfriend actually pointed it
out and said this would make a great opening for
his film .THE ANIMATION of LE DONK &
• After the animation Meadow's films is combine
the naturalism sense of the absurd, the daft, and
the brutal, unpredictable violence. There are
times of stunning volatility in some films.
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.