1. Make a Cleaner Cloud Andy Piper with Open Source! @andypiper
2. Hello I’m Andy
3. Developer Advocate @ Cloud Foundry social web enthusiast maker, educator, LEGO fan OSS supporter / contributor Eclipse Committer (Paho / MQTT), mqtt.orgLondon IoT, Green Hackathon, Home Camp, Cleanweb etc @andypiper firstname.lastname@example.org a few things about me
4. 1. Why be / do / think Open?2. Open Cloud Platforms... FTW?3. Making it Sustainable!
5. 1. Why be / do / think Open?
6. From:&torvalds@klaava.Helsinki.FI Newsgroups:&comp.os.minix Date:&25&Aug&91&20:57:08&GMT Organization:&University&of&Helsinki Hello everybody out there using minix -1991 I’m doing a (free)An important year in software operating system (just a hobby, won’t be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones.
7. 21 years later: Linux has won
8. #P0WN ALL TEH GADGETZ ! (even old versions, on crashyLinux runs everywhere airline entertainment systems...)
9. It runs on Windows Azure! Jun 2012, w. Canonical
10. The Penguin is (maybe not this one…) triumphant!
15. Cloud Foundry - the Open PaaS OSS communityvFabricPostgres Private I) Ap CP Data Services pli Clouds e( ca fac ti on er nt Se rI vFabric Public rvi ide RabbitMQTM ce ov Msg Services Clouds Int Pr er d ou fa ce Cl Other Micro Services Clouds Additional partners services …
16. All the pieces to make “if you can’t open it, you your own! don’t own it” (O’Reilly MAKE)
17. cloudfoundry.org community project cloudfoundry.org Your Infrastructure Download Setup Setup Deploy Behind Code Environment Scripts Firewall Cloud Apache2 Foundry license BOSH
18. “We really areSteve Herrod aspiring for thisCTO, VMware, 11 April 2012 to be the Linux of the cloud.”
19. Open & public from the start cloudfoundry.org and Github
20. Can haz API? managing apps and clouds
21. Partners building new multi-OS, multi-IaaS, multi-tools and integrations language... multi-cloud
22. Keeping it all together core.cloudfoundry.org
23. ... and ...http://blog.gardeviance.org/2012/11/ hi-ho-silver-lining.html
24. 3. Making it Sustainable!
25. “Data centers are power- hungry, and Facebooks Oregon center in Crook County is no exception, using 28MW. While thats fairly standard, it has doubled the power use of the county... The entirety of Crook County uses just under 30MW... [Data Center Knowledge via SlashDot; Image: Tom Raftery]”Ouch. Jan 31, 2012 via Gizmodo
26. “Facebook’s energy mix was 23 percent green, 27 percent coal, 17 percent natural gas, 13 percent nuclear, the company said... While the remainder was uncategorized, it can include all the above energy sources...”“no wait! It’s not that bad!” Aug 1, 2012 via Bloomberg
29. To make this sustainable... Software make this “efﬁcient”*, with dashboards... Platform and thismeterable, instrumented, Infrastructure run on sustainable sources Rethink the layers gotta catch ’em all? *efﬁcient software
30. But -We need to do this together!
31. Let’s do this! what PaaS tools do we need?
32. “Let a thousand <sustainable, -- Patrick Chanezon @chanezon, VMware Cloud Foundry open> clouds bloom” <words mangled by @andypiper>
34. Image credits• Happy Tux http://igloo.crystalxp.net/ZeNDaMs• Other images are author’s own, or royalty-free and CC-licensed works from Wikimedia Commons (Kitchener poster image Public Domain in the UK)• Thanks to Tom Raftery and Patrick Chanezon for some content