Transcript of "Blog Search Engine Optimization Basics"
Blog SEO Basics
View screencast at
What We’re Talking ‘Bout
• What SEO means
• A brief history of search engines
• How search engines work
• What search engines look for
• What words to use
• How to measure
• Where to learn more
What is SEO?
Being polite to the search engines
The 2 Types of Traffic
A Brief History of Search
Directories (Yahoo c1996)
Spiders (HotBot!), Contextual
(Google), Local, Social
How Search Engines Work
Links = votes
What are keywords?
What Search Engines Look For
Lots of other stuff…
Freak Yourself Out
What Words to Use
‘Write Good Stuff’
The 3 Reasons We Go Online + Brown Teeth
How to Measure
In-App Stats, Google Analytics
What is a hit?
What is a unique?
What is a pageview?
What is an impression?
Where to Learn More
• TypePad Guide http://typepad.com/tips/
• Great SEO blogs
– Andy Beale: http://www.marketingpilgrim.com/
– SEOMoz http://www.seomoz.org/ (free tools!)
– Search Engine Watch http://searchenginewatch.com/
• Lots more (from http://blogs.com/topten/)
You’re in the right place!
• If you can see this you are viewing the screencast
• Join the teleconference: 1-866-699-3239 and
event number is 664 654 553
• We’ll be getting started in just a bit – I’ve got the
call on mute to keep noise down
• If you have questions during the call – pop ‘em
into the Q/A Chat area and we’ll answer them
• If you have trouble with the teleconference or
screensharing, restart your browser and re-join
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.