1. Unit Question
What is my part in the
school community and in
the wider community?
2. How are we going to answer the question?
• Create a poster to advertise a school event
(Miss Daykin’s X-Factor event), which will
inevitably reflect on a larger community – by
raising money or combining with another
community (parents, sports clubs etc.)
• Usual documentation of the design cycle and
the final product.
3. A recap of the Design Cycle
The investigate stage consists of:
• An introduction to the Unit
• Research on the problem
• A design brief
• A design specification
• A test plan
• An evaluation of your performance in this
stage of the Design Cycle
5. Investigation Introduction
Start with the Problem
Write a clear statement of the problem – this is often
given by the teacher.
• In this case, it is the task you have been set. Your
problem is that you need to create a poster suitable to
advertise the school X-Factor event.
• You should write more detail than this. Consider what
else you need to achieve – you need to advertise the
event, catch people’s attention, make the poster
suitable for the event, meet your end-user’s
• You should reflect on how you think you will be able to
achieve these things.
6. Introduction continued
You also need to write:
• How the problem relates to you (on a personal
• How the problem relates to society (consider
what type of society this will affect)
• How the problem links to the Area of