1. Android Application Development Google Maps API V2 Part 1 Ahsanul Karim firstname.lastname@example.org http://droidtraining.wordpress.com
2. Google Maps API V2 Steps● Download and configure the Google Play services SDK. The Google Maps Android API is distributed as part of this SDK.● Obtain an API key. To do this, you will need to register a project in the Google APIs Console, and get a signing certificate for your app.● Specify settings in the Application Manifest.● Add a map to a new or existing Android project.● Publish your application
3. Google Maps API V2 Google Play Services First need to install the Google Play services SDK using SDK Manager1. Launch the SDK Manager2. Select Extras > Google Play services, and install it
4. Google Maps API V2 Google Play Services The Google Play services SDK is saved in your Android SDK environmentat <android-sdk-folder>/extras/google/google_play_services/
5. Google Maps API V2 Google Play Services 3. import the library project into your workspace. Click File > Import,select Android > Existing Android Code into Workspace, and browse to thecopy of the library project [libproject] to import it.
6. Google Maps API V2 Google Play Services Select and Import project.
7. Google Maps API V2 Google Play Services Project is imported as Library as seen in Project Properties
8. Google Maps API V2 Google Play Services 4. Create a new project to integrate Maps
9. Google Maps API V2 Google Play Services 5. Go to project properties of Google maps V2 Demo and referencethe google-play-services_lib project.
10. Google Maps API V2 Android Manifest Now we are going to prepare the AndroidManifest.xml file ofGoogle Maps V2 Demo project:1. In AndroidManifest.xml, add the following element as a child ofthe <application> element, by inserting it just before the closingtag</application> Specifying Map API_KEY in metadata makes it available to any MapFragment used in the project. Well create our own API_KEY a bit later.
11. Google Maps API V2 Android Manifest 2. Add the following elements to your manifest. Replace com.smartapps.googlemapsv2.demo with the package name of yourapplication.3. Save AndroidManifest.xml and rebuild your application.
12. Google Maps API V2 Android Manifest 4. Add following permissions in AndroidManifest.xml5. Because version 2 of the Google Maps Android API requires OpenGLES version 2, you must add a <uses-feature> element as a child of the<manifest> element in AndroidManifest.xml
13. Google Maps API V2 Obtaining Maps API KEY 1. To access the Google Maps servers with the Maps API, we have toadd a Maps API key to our application.2. The key is free, we can use it with any of our applications that callthe Maps API, and it supports an unlimited number of users.3. Well obtain a Maps API key from the Google APIs Console byproviding your applications signing certificate and its package name.So there will be separate Maps API key for debug keystore and releasekeystore.4. Once we have the key, we add it to our application by adding anelement to AndroidManifest.xml.5. Recommended practice is to sign each of our applications with adifferent certificate and get a different key for each one.
14. Google Maps API V2 Obtaining Maps API KEY Steps for obtaining an API key :1. Retrieve information about the applications certificate.2. Register a project in the Google APIs Console and add theMaps API as a service for the project.3. Once we have a project set up, we can request one or morekeys.4. Finally, we can add the key to our application and begindevelopment.These steps will be described in next slides...
15. Google Maps API V2 Obtaining Maps API KEY Step 1: Certificate Info & SHA1 Fingerprinta. Locate Keystore: Go to Preferences-> Android-> BuildBy default: Path to debug.keystoreOS X and Linux: ~/.android/Windows Vista and Windows 7: C:Usersyour_user_name.android
16. Google Maps API V2 Obtaining Maps API KEY  Step 1: Certificate Info & SHA1 Fingerprint b. Get SHA1 Fingerprint:Open Terminal/Cmd Prompt and write following command to get SHA1 Fingerprint:In OSX/Linux:keytool -list -v -keystore ~/.android/debug.keystore -alias androiddebugkey -storepass android -keypass androidIn Windows Vista/Windows 7:keytool -list -v -keystore "C:Usersyour_user_name.androiddebug.keystore" -alias androiddebugkey -storepass android -keypass android 1. Be careful about the path of debug.keystore in command. 2. In windows, if environment variable is not set, you may need to write the command after going to java/bin folder with keytool.exe.
17. Google Maps API V2 Obtaining Maps API KEY Step 1: Certificate Info & SHA1 Fingerprintb. Get SHA1 Fingerprint: Output in Terminal
18. Google Maps API V2 Obtaining Maps API KEY Step 2: Creating an API Project1. In browser, navigate to Google API Concole [https://code.google.com/apis/console/] and Login with Gmail ID.2. Create New Project and Enable Google Maps Android API V2 Service fromservices list.
19. Google Maps API V2 Obtaining Maps API KEY  Step 2: Request for API Key Its possible to register more than one key per project. To get the key: 1. In the left navigation bar, click API Access. 2. In the resulting page, click Create New Android Key.... 3. In the resulting dialog, enter the SHA-1 fingerprint, then a semicolon, then our applications package name. For example: in our case1E:36:29:E1:F4:DD:FB:5C:AF:8B:99:BA:FC:E7:A5:03:51:14:19:B65;com.smartapps.googlemapsv2.demo 4. API Console responds with a 40-character key:AIzaSyCQL_pZ_EA85MzBEeNDxNCtlQnt3-V_OGU
20. Google Maps API V2 Obtaining Maps API KEY Step 2: Request for API Key
21. Google Maps API V2 Add a Map Step 1: Add a MapFragment to activity_main.xmlStep 2: MainActivity.java
22. Google Maps API V2 Add a Map Step 3: Build and Run1. Now we should see the map in a real device2. Map cannot be shown in emulator as long as Google Play Store application isnot installed in emulator