Start Slideshow (From Beginning)Hello, My name is AskanTehrani and I am your teacher in Preserved Areas. Today we are going to talk about Cyprs.clickpleaseTurn off your phones and pay attention!
In Cyprus there are MANY preserved areas but today we are going to see Larnaka Salt Lake (ALYKI) and Akamas Peninsula.clickWhere is Cyprus?click
Cyprus is one of the smallest countries in EuropeBUT with very rich flora and fauna clickThese are the two areas: Larnaka Salt Lake (ALYKI) and Akamas Peninsula.click
Alyki is located in Larnaca district next to the Larnaca International Airportclick
Duringthewintermonthsthelakefillswithwater. In thesummer,thewaterevaporates, leaving a crustofsalt. click
Accordingtothe legend, StLazarus asked anoldwomanforfoodanddrink. Sherefused, claiming thathervineshaddriedup.StLazarusreplied: “mayyourvinesbedryandbe a saltlakeforevermore.” clickand …a more scientificexplanationThesaltwaterpenetratestheporousrockbetweenthelakeandthesea, makingthewaterverysalty.clickclick
According to the legend, Akamaswas one the favorite place of the goddess of love Aphrodite.At Fontana Amorosais where Adonis drunk water and fell in love with her. So, those who drink from there will fall in love.Another legend has it that after swimming, Aphroditewould walk up the hill and bathe in a pool fed by a freshwater mountain spring protected by trees and leaves which is known as the Baths of Aphrodite. So, those who bath in this spring, will stay beautiful forever and have beautiful children.Click
As regards fauna, the endemic Γκλοκόπσιχ Πάφος butterfly can be considered the emblem of the area. Until recently the Mediterranean seal, Monachusmonachus, bred in the inaccessible caves of the peninsula, while on the remote beaches of Lara, the sea turtles, Carettacaretta and Cheloniamydas, continue to breed in large numbers.
Glaucopsychepaphos butterfly can be considered the emblem of the area.
Cyprus muflon, ΑΓΡΙΝΟ, is one of the trade marks of CyprusClickIt is even used as a logo for our national airwaysClick
In Cyprus there are many endemic plants.Some of these plants can be found only at Akamas. Endemic means that it can be found only in this country, or areaClick
ΆλισουμΑκαμάσικουμand ΣεντόριαΑκαμάντιςhave taken their name from the area itself, while species such asΣεντόρια, Tulipa cypria, Gladiolus triphyllus and many others are found in Cyprus and mostly in Akamas.Click
ΑναγγάλιςΑρβένσιςΑρβένσιςClickΑΡΧΙΖΕΙ Η ΜΟΥΣΙΚΗ
OrobancheΣίπριαΜΕΝΕΙΣ ΕΔΩ! ΔΕΝ ΚΑΝΕΙΣ ClickClick
BUThaving areas declared as preservedis not enoughWE HAVE TO PROTECT THEM
1. Lesson: Preserved Areas Country: Cyprus pleaseTeacher: ASKAN TEHRANI
2. Preserved Areas of Cyprus• Larnaca Salt Lake (Alyki)• Akamas Peninsula
3. Akamas Peninsula Alyki Salt Lake
4. AlykiLarnaca Salt Lake
5. AlykiDuring the winter monthsthe lake fills withwater.In the summerthe waterevaporates, leaving a crust
6. AlykiThe Legend and …a more scientific explanationAccording to the legend, • The salt water penetrates theSt Lazarus asked an old woman porous rock between the lake andfor food and drink. She the sea, making the water veryrefused, claiming that her vines salty.had dried up. St Lazarusreplied: “may your vines be dryand be a salt lake forever more.”
7. Alyki• Until recently, salt harvested from Alyki used to be one of Cyprus major exports.• It was collected and then carried by donkeys.• With rising labour costs and because of the expansion of the urban area, salt harvesting stopped in 1986.
8. AlykiAlyki is very important as a resting-place and for wintering waterbirdslike Flamingoes, Cranes, Stilts, Swans, Gulls and many other birdsduring migration.
9. Akamas Peninsula
10. Akamas PeninsulaThe Akamas peninsula, is a unique area with very rich flora and fauna.Almost all the geological formations of Cyprus can be found here, fromnarrow deep valleys, caves and islets to gorges such as that of Avakas,resulting in a real geological mosaic.
11. Akamas Peninsula landscape
12. Akamas Peninsula landscape
13. Akamas Peninsula landscape
14. Akamas Peninsula landscape
15. Akamas Peninsula As regards fauna, the endemic Paphos butterfly can be considered the emblem of the area. On the remote beaches of Lara, the sea turtles, Caretta Caretta and Chelonia Mydas, breed in large numbers.
16. Akamas Peninsula fauna
17. Akamas Peninsula fauna AGRINO – the Cyprus Muflon
18. AkamasIn the Akamas there are about 530 plants, of which 35 are endemic.Some of these plants are endemic* to the area. (endemic* =can be found only here)
19. Akamas PeninsulaAlyssum akamasicum and Centaurea akamantishave taken their name from the area itself, while species such asCentaurea veneris, Tulipa cypria, Gladiolus triphyllusand many others are found only in Cyprus and mostly in Akamas.
20. Crocus Cyprius
21. Gladiolus triphyllus
22. Anagallisarvensis caerulea
24. Centaurea akamantis
25. Anagallis arvensis arvensis
26. Anacamptis pyramidalis
27. Allium ampeloprasum
28. Scabiosa cyprica
29. Cyclamen cyprium
30. Tulipa cypria
31. Centaurea veneris
32. Cephalorrynchus cyprius
33. Thlaspi cyprium
34. Orobanche cypria
35. PreservedArea.flv BUThaving areas declared as preserved is not enough!!WE HAVE TO PROTECT THEM!!!