New Media Drivers License
• Social Media supports the human need
for social interaction with technology.
• Social Media transforms people from
content users to content producers
• Businesses refer to social media as user-
generated content (UGC).
Social Network Service
• A social network service focuses on building online
communities of people who share interests and/or
activities, or who are interested in exploring the
interests and activities of others.
• Most social network services are web based and
provide a variety of ways for users to interact, such as
e-mail and instant messaging services.
• Most popular services in North America include:
Facebook, MySpace, Twitter, LinkedIn.
• Facebook allows millions of people to
stay connected around the world.
Facebook Pro’s: Facebook Con’s:
• connectivity •privacy issues
• business networking
• self promotion
• LinkedIn a.k.a. Facebook for the
• The purpose of the site is to allow registered
users to maintain a list of contact details of
people they know and trust in business.
Being a member of LinkedIn will beneﬁt
you in the following ways:
• enhance your search engine results
• ﬁnd high-quality job applicants
• boost business and opportunities
• gain publicity
• stay up-to-date
• Many blogs provide commentary or news on a
particular subject; others function as more
personal online diaries.
• A typical blog combines text, images, and
links to other blogs, Web pages, and other
media related to its topic.
• Blogging for business has proven to be very
• Blogging allows consumers to feel more
connected with business and not just another
number in a database.
• Twitter is a free social networking and micro-blogging
service that enables its users to send and read messages
known as tweets.
• the SMS of the Internet
• Pro’s: easy to use, plethora of 3rd party applications
• Con’s: only 140 characters per post, unwanted
solicitation, personal invasion
• Sometimes Twitter can have its cons...
• In today’s Internet driven world, it is all about
• Whether you use Facebook, MySpace,
LinkedIn, or Twitter, these mediums can help
promote yourself and business while being
entertainment at the same time.
• “Social media is not a media. [The key is to
listen, engage, and build relationships.] –