Andy Hayes @andrewghayes plumdeluxe.com
How to Build Your Audience
(without selling your soul or spending a fortune)
“Building an audience is like sprinting a
marathon, only to realize at mile 26
that you’re just getting started.”
The key to building a robust audience is
understanding how your customer sees the
world and WHY you fit into that picture.
Audience Building Starter Kit:
• Your Ideal Customer Profile
– Demographic version
– Classified Ad version
• Your Elevator Pitch
• A Story Your Customers Can Tell Others
Define your ideal customer & WHY you.
You have to meet your customers where they
are (maybe literally). We’re all on a journey.
You can think of this
“customer lifecycle” like a
funnel. I call them tracks.
Funnel / Track Must Haves:
• Where your customer is starting from?
• What is their final destination is?
• What are the important stops/waypoints on
the journey (with or without you)?
• Bonus: what comes after the final destination
Diagram your customer’s journey and
what is your relationship at each step.
Landing pages are where you make
customers an offer and ask them to
Landing Pages Must Haves:
• Killer Headline (catchy but also clear)
• Explanation of the Problem
• Explanation of the Solution
• Address Any Major Concerns
• An Ask to TAKE ACTION
These apply to opt-ins too!
Define 3 Offers
-Problem, Solution, What YOU Need
- 1 Must Be an Email Opt-In
Content is the best a great way
to build an audience.
Catchy Content Considerations:
• Good Headlines are crucial!
• Education vs Entertainment
• Consider the medium best for your
customer and best for the material.
• Avoid the content hamster wheel.
Stick to your strengths!
10 Content Ideas
Headline, Medium, What is the Purpose?
If you build it, they won’t come –
until you tell them about it. HUSTLE!
• Online + Offline
• You have to leave your comfort zone to
find/meet new people who will follow you
back to your community.
• Coffee Dates
• Guest Posting
• Trade Shows
5 Ways You Will Hustle. Be specific.
For each, identify the win-win of the interaction.
Building a audience requires both a
strong understanding of your
customer’s journey, but knowing that
you’re on a journey of your own.
Tweet Me: @andrewghayes
Email Me: andy @ plumdeluxe.com
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.