Water resources andrea


Published on

Published in: Education
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

No Downloads
Total views
On SlideShare
From Embeds
Number of Embeds
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide

Water resources andrea

  2. 2. INTRODUCTION <ul><li>In this project we are going to talk about how do people use water resources, natural resources can we use them forever?, good ways , bad ways,photos, pictures,news. </li></ul>
  3. 3. NEWS <ul><li>FRESNO, Calif. — State engineers are studying a proposal to send water supplies to Southern California through a tunnel under the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta, rather than through a peripheral canal. </li></ul><ul><li>The Department of Water Resources is considering the tunnel option as part of a broader, long-term effort to lower pressure on the beleaguered estuary. </li></ul><ul><li>Proponents say routing water underground could help protect endangered fish species while securing supplies for San Joaquin Valley farmers and southern cities. </li></ul><ul><li>But opponents fear diverting water would turn the delta into a swamp. </li></ul><ul><li>By year's end, officials with the Bay Delta Conservation Plan are expected to release a draft conservation plan that could include options both above and below ground. </li></ul>
  4. 4. <ul><li>People use many of the Earth's natural resources. All of the products we use have a natural resource base. Minerals, forest products, water, and soil are just a few of the natural resources humans use to produce energy and make things people use. </li></ul><ul><li>Some natural resources can be reproduced within a few years or decades. These are called renewable resources . Trees are an example of a renewable resource. Oil, minerals, and soil take hundreds, thousands and even millions of years to be made. These are called non-renewable resources. </li></ul><ul><li> </li></ul><ul><li>It is very important we use renewable and non-renewable resources wisely. If a resource is used and thrown away, eventually the resource becomes scarce. When the supply dwindles, its price will increase. Products that are made from that resource would increase in price too. </li></ul><ul><li>Sometimes resources become so rare they can no longer be used. In these cases, substitute resources may be used, which may make a poorer quality product, or one that is more expensive. If substitutes can not be used, some products could no longer be made. </li></ul><ul><li>Wise use of resources includes not throwing away products that are reuseable or recyclable. When these products are reused or recycled, it maintains resource availability, uses less landfill space, and uses less energy. </li></ul>
  5. 5. HOW DO PEOPLE USE WATER RESOURCES? <ul><li>Water resources are sources of water that are useful or potentially useful to humans . Uses of water include agricultural , industrial , household , recreational and environmental activities. Virtually all of these human uses require fresh water . </li></ul><ul><li>97% of water on the Earth is salt water, leaving only 3% as fresh water of which slightly over two thirds is frozen in glaciers and polar ice caps . The remaining unfrozen freshwater is mainly found as groundwater, with only a small fraction present above ground or in the air. </li></ul><ul><li>Fresh water is a renewable resource , yet the world's supply of clean, fresh water is steadily decreasing. Water demand already exceeds supply in many parts of the world and as the world population continues to rise, so too does the water demand. Awareness of the global importance of preserving water for ecosystem services has only recently emerged as, during the 20th century, more than half the world’s wetlands have been lost along with their valuable environmental services. Biodiversity -rich. </li></ul>
  6. 7. GOOD WAYS TO USE WATER RESOURCES <ul><li>HOW DO WE USE WATER? </li></ul><ul><li>Water is a resource that has many uses, including recreational, transportation, hydroelectric power, </li></ul><ul><li>agricultural, domestic, industrial, and commercial uses. Water also supports all forms of life and affects our </li></ul><ul><li>health, lifestyle, and economic well being. As individuals, we use water for sanitation, drinking, and many </li></ul><ul><li>other human needs, and we pay for the public water utilities that provide water. Examples of the amount of </li></ul><ul><li>water used by an individual during everyday activities are shown below (compare the gallons to a gallon of </li></ul><ul><li>milk): </li></ul><ul><li>To flush a toilet 5 to 7 gallons </li></ul><ul><li>To run a dishwasher 15 to 25 gallons </li></ul><ul><li>To wash dishes by hand 20 gallons </li></ul><ul><li>To water a small lawn 35 gallons </li></ul><ul><li>To take a shower 25 to 50 gallons </li></ul><ul><li>To take a bath 50 gallons </li></ul><ul><li>To wash a small load of clothes in a washing machine 35 gallons </li></ul><ul><li>To brush teeth (running water continuously) 2 to 5 gallons </li></ul><ul><li>The average American uses 140 to 160 gallons of water per day. </li></ul><ul><li>Although more than three quarters of the earth's surface is made up of water, only 2.8 percent of the </li></ul><ul><li>Earth's water is available for human consumption. The other 97.2 percent is in the oceans; however, this </li></ul><ul><li>water is too salty to use for most purposes, and the salt is very costly to remove. Most of the Earth's fresh </li></ul><ul><li>water is frozen in polar ice caps, icebergs, and glaciers. </li></ul>
  7. 9. WHY IS WATER POLLUTION PREVENTION AND CONSERVATION IMPORTANT? <ul><li>Although water flows from our faucets throughout the day, we often take the amount of fresh water </li></ul><ul><li>available on Earth for granted. As the world's population increases, water consumption increases. </li></ul><ul><li>Preventing water pollution and conserving water are important to assure a continuing abundance of water </li></ul><ul><li>that is safe to use for ourselves and future generations. </li></ul>
  8. 10. WATER POLLUTION <ul><li>pollution is any human-caused contamination of water that reduces its usefulness to humans and </li></ul><ul><li>other organisms in nature. Pollutants such as herbicides, pesticides, fertilizers, and hazardous chemicals </li></ul><ul><li>can make their way into our water supply. When our water supply is contaminated, it is a threat to human, </li></ul><ul><li>animal, and plant health unless it goes through a costly purification procedure. </li></ul><ul><li>Examples of pollution and its effects on water bodies such as Lake Michigan are listed below. </li></ul><ul><li>U Pollutants can come from a specific source such as a pipe that discharges used water or other </li></ul><ul><li>material from a factory into a water body. Such discharges can harm the aquatic ecosystem. </li></ul><ul><li>U Pollutants can also come from large areas such as agricultural fields that have been covered with </li></ul><ul><li>fertilizer or pesticides. Fertilizer and pesticide residues can run off or wash into streams and rivers </li></ul><ul><li>or seep into soil, contaminating underlying groundwater. </li></ul><ul><li>Water </li></ul>
  9. 11. SUJERENCIAS <ul><li>Do not leave the tap open, and not divert the water. </li></ul>
  10. 12. BAD WAYS <ul><li>Ironically this river in its heyday, was used for fishing and irrigation, but due to factories that are in place, the river became a huge dump. Villagers stopped fishing. What we now do is &quot;dig&quot; in the trash, something that could be used to sell or deal with food. </li></ul>
  11. 13. PROPOSAL <ul><li>Problem:Water in lakes and rivers are decreasing. </li></ul><ul><li>Objective:Help the people understand the importance of lakes and rivers. </li></ul><ul><li>Possible solution: Do not leave the tap open, not divert the water. </li></ul><ul><li>Needs: We need people to teach the others how to save the water. </li></ul>
  12. 14. PHOTOS