-Texas geography is very varied due to its size. Plains,mesetas and hillsare the most common relieves.-It represents the 7% of the total area of USA.-It shares frontiers with Mexico, Oklahoma, Lousiana, Arkansas andNew Mexico.
-Gulf Coastal Plains, located in the South.-Oriental Pine Woods, next to Lousiana.-Interior Low Lands, in the middle of Texas.-The Great Plains, which can be found in the North.-West Texas, with plenty of natural environments such asdeserts, dunes or mountain ranges.-Texas Coast, with many estuaries and bays (Matagorda Bay andCorpus Christi Bay).
Due to its size, we can find a high diversity of climates.-In East Texas there is a subtropical wet climate, with many rainfallsduring all the year. Summers are hot and humid whereas wintersstand out for their cool temperatures.-West Texas is much more arid, with extreme temperatures (hot insummer, cold in winter) and very few precipitations throughout theyear.
Texas is the second largest state in area of the US (696,241 km2 ,afterAlaska) and in population (24 million people, after California).84% White People12% Black People4% Asian People
The biggest cities of Texas are Houston, San Antonio and Dallas. It isthe only state of USA which has 3 cities with more than 1 millionpeople. However, the capital is Austin.In Texas we can find several metropolitan areas:-Dallas-Fort Worth-Gran Houston-Gran San Antonio-AustinBesides, Texas has 254 counties, more than any other state of thecountry.
Political parties:- Texas political culture and ideology are described by thecombination of three main philosophical concepts:• Classical liberalism ideas often form the basis for opposition to theuse of government to attain social objectives. They express insteadreliance on private initiatives or the free market to determine thebest outcomes.
• Social conservatives tend to support the use of government toreinforce traditional social relations. While socially conservativeviews are associated primarily with the Republican Party, theydominated the Democratic Party in Texas through much of itshistory.• Populism is concerned primarily with the well being of ordinarypeople. Populism tends to support involvement of the governmentin regulating society and the economy. But, populism also tends tobe socially conservative.The republican party is popular in Texas.
• Rodeos: The most important rodeo in Texas is Houston LivestockShow and Rodeo, which has 2 million of supporters. It is a threeweek rodeo, founded in 1931. Contestants compete for $1.5 millionin events that change from bronco busting to bull riding to teamroping. The main rodeo is held in Reliant Stadium, while the fairand other events take place in the parking lot and several nearbybuildings.• Baseball: It is very popular in Texas, the two principal teams areTexas Rangers and Houston Astros.
• Breakfast: they are usually hot and hardy. It consists on typicalwarm biscuits or muffins with butter, jam or honey also meat andeggs are eaten. They include the traditional fried potatoes, as wellas hot cakes with syrup or honey.
• Lunch: it is usually to prepare barbeques with corn bread. It is themore common meal.
• Dinner: It is the most important meal of the day. It includesfried chicken, buttered rice and hot biscuits with gravy, alongwith green beans, leaf lettuce and sliced tomatoes. Ice teausually go with
The Texas Medical Center in Houston, holds the worlds largestconcentration of research and healthcare institutions, with 47member institutions.
-University of Houston: it is a public state research university andthe flagship institution of the University of Houston System. Foundedin 1927, it is Texass third-largest university with nearly 41,000students.-University of Texas at Austin: it is a public research-intensiveuniversity located in Austin, Texas, United States. It is the flagshipinstitution of the University of Texas System. Founded in 1883. Theinstitution has the fifth-largest single-campus enrollment in thenation.
One of the most famous sports in Texas is basketball.There are 3 teamsin NBA:-Dallas Mavericks: They are members of the Southwest Division ofthe Western Conference. Since their inaugural 1980–81 season, theMavericks have won three division titles ,two conferencechampionships and one NBA Championship .-Houston Rockets: The team plays in the Southwest Division of theWestern Conference in the National Basketball Association. It wasfounded in 1997.
-San Antonio Spurs: They are part of the Southwest Division of theWestern Conference in the National Basketball Association . TheSpurs four NBA championships are the fourth most in NBAhistory, behind only the Boston Celtics (17), Los Angeles Lakers (16)and Chicago Bulls (6). And it was founded in 1967.
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.