• Population: 38,041,430• Area: 423,970 km2.• Capital: Sacramento• Largest city: Los AngelesLanguages English 60,5%Spanish 25,8%Chinese 2,6%Tagalog 2%Other languages 9,1%
Mammals: California grizzly bearInsect: California dogface butterflyMinerals: GoldTree: SequoiaMotto: Eureka
•There are 58 counties.•California became a state in 1850. Thefirst Spanish missionaries arrived inCalifornia in the 1700s, but Californiadidnt become a U.S. territory until1847, as part of the treaty ending theMexican-American War.•By the turn of the century the discoveryof oil, industrialization resulting from theincrease of hydroelectric power, andexpanding agricultural developmentattracted more settlers.•San Francisco, which suffered greatly afterthe great earthquake and fire of 1906which killed around 3000 people and 80%of San Francisco was destroyed.
Topographical facts•Higher point: MountWhitney14,505 ft (4,421.0 m)•Lowest point: BadwaterBasin in Death Valley−282 ft (-86m)
California is the USAs most populous state withalmost 40,000,000 residents, more than Canadaas of 2008. One of eight United States residentslive here.California is a "minority majority" state, with 58%of its population Asian, Hispanic, Native Americanor other groups. 26% of its people were bornoutside the U.S.
Native American and Native Alaskan: 1%Native Hawaiian and other Pacific Islanders: 1%White: 41%Latinos: 38%Asian: 13%Black: 6%RacesProtestant 36%Roman Catholic 31%Jewish 2%Hinduism 2%Muslim 2%Non-Religious 21%Other Religion 4%LDS 2%Religions
• Californias economy is the 12th largest economy in the world (if the statesof the U.S. were compared with other countries).• Agriculture is the major California industry.• It is the worlds fifth largest supplier of food and agriculture commodities.Gross Domestic Product ofCalifornia by sector for 2008
• Yosemite National Park It is located in the Sierra Nevada mountains in east-central California. It is internationally recognized for its spectacular granitecliffs, waterfalls, clear streams, giant sequoia groves, and biologicaldiversity.• Channel Islands National Park It is located in the Southern California coast. Half of the Channel Island National Park is underwater and it is the homeof 2,000 species of plants and animals.• Death Valley National Park It is located in the east of the Sierra Nevada mountains It has diverse desertic environments of salt-flats, sanddunes, badlands, valleys, canyons, and mountains.
Hollywood It is a neighborhood of Los Angeles, California. Hollywood is the mecca of movie studios and starsand a destination for nightlife, shopping and tourism. In 1903 it became an official municipalityGolden Gate Bridge Construction of the Golden Gate Bridge started in 1933. It is a suspension bridge of 1970 metres.
San Diego Zoo The San Diego Zoo is a zoo in Balboa Park, San Diego, California housingover 3,700 animals of more than 650 species and subspecies. The Zoo has the largest population of the critically endangered giantpandas. Alcatraz Island Because of its isolation from the outside by the cold, hazardous currents of thewaters of San Francisco Bay, Alcatraz was used to house Civil War prisoners as earlyas 1861. Home to some of Americas most notorious criminals, the federal penitentiary thatoperated here from 1934 to 1963 brought a dark mystique to the Rock.
• Fast Food• Latin Influences: Spicy food. (Tacos, burritos, nachos)• Asian and Oceanian influences. (Sushi and dungenesscrabs)• Chinese restaurants, Mexican restaurants, Italianrestaurants, Filipino restaurants, Vietnameserestaurants, Indian restaurants
• National Basketball Association:Los Angeles Clippers and Los Angeles Lakers• Major League Baseball:Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim• National Football League:San Francisco 49ers• Major League Soccer:Los Angeles Galaxy
• California Institute of Technology It is a private research university located in Pasadena, California. It has six academic divisions with strong emphases on science andengineering.• Standford University It is an American private research university located inStanford, California Stanford was founded by Leland Stanford, an United StatessenatorStanford University
• Silicon Valley is the southern region of the SanFrancisco Bay Area in Northern California.• It is home of many of the worlds largesttechnology corporations (AppleInc., Google, Ebay, Facebook, AdobeSystems,Nvidia,etc.)
58 counties!!! Bad Water basin in Death Valley!! 38,041,430 inhabitants!! Silicon Valley The Giant Panda!! In the National Football League (Americanfootball)• How many counties does California have?• Which is the lowest point of California?• How many millions of inhabitants does California have?• Which is the home of many of the worlds largest technologycorporations ?• For having what animal is San Diego zoo important?• In which sport does the San Francisco 49ers team participate?