I didn’t know what to do next. But I knew I had to get a job.
The task was to move to a new city where I didn’t know anyone and no-one knew me, make friends, establish myself and get a job all largely through digital tools.
Fail faster, fail harder Be passionate, interested and curious
1. Michael Litman (@mlitman) LCF Graduate Bootcamp 22nd September 2012
2. Agenda1. The story so far2.The tools3.How you can do it too
4. Who am I?I’m Michael Litman and I’m a Senior Social Strategist atAnalogFolk where we make and market interactiveexperiences globally.You can tweet me @mlitman or find my blog athttp://litmanlive.co.uk/blog
5. 1. The Story So Far
6. In The Beginning…
7. With A Year In Industry… 80/ 2000
8. My dissertation shaped mycareer… (I just didn’t know it yet)
9. Then this happened…
10. I thought I had it all sorted…
11. But I was wrong.“Jobs in social media don’t exist, you won’t find what you are looking for.” A.B Oss, 2008.
12. So I moved to London…
13. And set myself a task…
14. What was the task?To move to a new city where I didn’t know anyone and no-oneknew me, to make friends, go to industry events, establishmyself and get a job within the social media comms space, alllargely through the use of digital tools.I knew it wasn’t going to be easy.
15. 2. The Tools
17. Portfolio Page
18. There’s loads... (and none of themrequire any coding knowledge!)
19. And another one…
25. Who does Google say you are?
26. Places I’ve worked
27. Clients I’ve worked for
28. 3. How You Can Do It Too
29. Actions:Don’t be afraid to try. Failing is the best learning experience you’ll get.Be passionate, interested and curious. No-one is an expert.Take some time to figure out what you’re really in to. Having a job doing something yougenuinely enjoy is like being paid to do something you’d do for free anyway.Find your voice. It could be by starting a blog, or writing for other sites/magazines. But onlywrite about stuff you have a real interest in, enthusiasm always shines through.And if you’re more of a visual person, try Tumblr, Pinterest or even Slideshare.Be careful what you post online. Once it’s on the Internet, it stays on the Internet.
30. And one more thing…Books I’ve Read: