CHINESE NEW YEAR The first day of the 1st lunar month . Falls in January or February . Also called “ GONG XI FA CAI ” means peace be upon you and sustenance . Begin with the family gathering . Celebrated for 15 days .
PREPARATIONS BEFORE CNY House cleaning . - To remove all bad luck in the previous year before celebrating new year . Decorate their living room with vases of pretty blossom, platters of oranges and tangerines etc . Collect and pay the debts . - As a symbol of prosperity . Ritual feast at parent’s house . - As a symbol of union .
PREPARATIONS BEFORE CNY Playing the firework . - symbolizes prosperity and profit . PLATTERS
ANG POW .
- Red packets containing “ lucky money ” .
Encouraged wearing new clothes and red colour .
- As a symbol of goodness in thats year .
Come and visiting each other also exchange the gift .
- To tied our relationship .
Preparing sweet cake for the dishes .
- As a symbol sustenance .
Give the orange mandarin to guest .
- as a symbol of luxury .
Chinese Lion Dance
- Lion Dance is energetic and entertaining. The aim is to collect money or contribution from rich people. The dance is almost always performed to the beat of the tagu, the Chinese drum, and the clanging of cymbals.
- represents supernatural power and goodness in Chinese culture. Its is to bring good luck and prosperity for the year to come. Usually requiring a team of over 60 people, this fantastic performance is a dazzling display of perfect co-ordination, skill and grace.
PROHIBITION DURING CNY
Unkind words , vulgar language and quarrels are avoided .
Sweeping of the house .
- Outflow of luck .
Knives and scissors are not to be used .
- Cutting of luck .
15-Day Celebration Of CNY 1st Day
Welcoming of the gods of the heaven and the earth.
Chinese pray to their ancestor as well as to all the gods.
3rd & 4th Day
Days for son in laws to pay respect to their parents in law.
Also known as “Po Woo”
-people stay home to welcome the God of Wealth 6th -10th Day
Chinese visit their relatives and friends freely
Day for farmers to display their produces
Fujian people have another family reunion dinner
-the pray to Tian Gong, the God of Heaven at midnight. 9th Day
To make offerings to the Jade Emperor
10th -12th Day
Friends and relatives should be invited for dinner
Have simple rice congee and mustard greens (choi sum) to cleanse the system
14th -15th Day
Preparation to celebrate the Lantern Festival (15th night)
-On the 15th ,celebration Chap GohMehalso known as Yuan Siaw
Fireworks Mandarin Fruits Lantern Festival Lion Dances
Traditional New Year Foods
Chinese family will eat a vegetarian dish called “ Jai ”
- root @ fibrous vegetables that attributes various superstitious aspects,for example :- - Lotus seed-signify having many male offspring - Black moss seaweed-is a homonym for exceeding in wealth and happiness -Bamboo shoots-is a term which sounds like “wishing that everything would be well” -the chicken must be presented with a head , tail , and feet to symbolize completeness -noodles should be uncut ,as they represent a long life
Jai Food Moon Cake
REFERENCES Tourism Malaysia Pamplet Encyclopedia of Malaysia PPA Shah Alam