• Class 5 is dying ( its about time) though the FCC
hasn’t been told yet. Title 4?
• Collapse of Nortel has put Carriers on notice
• So what are you going to do with those DMS 250 / 500’s
– End of Life letters for 5ESS?
• Considerable progress however.
• GSM Operators (IPX/Pathfinder) – International
Interconnects (i3Forum) and the North American Cable
Operators (CableLabs) are in general technical
• Conversion held up due to substantial capital constraints.
– The economics in Telecoland not healthy even in
• CAPEX trap. Mobile Data Backhaul dominates.
• TN routing data Carrier ENUM initiatives are the looming
– SIPD base routing still dominates ( Who is the Carrier of Record?)
• Ongoing issue
• Contrary to popular opinion FAX is still a
essential communications service and is actually
increasing in popularity due to regulatory
requirements ( HIPAA – SOX )
• Sort of works with G.711 – G.729 (no way) or
with any HD voice codec.
• SIPforum Fax task group coordinating with
• Advanced service delivery based on E.164
numbering will not occur without killing off
• The future of SIP and the teleco industry is
tied to making the Voice Service relevant. HD
voice needs a new signaling model.
• Architecture is sexy billing systems are not.
• Carriers are Spending Millions to accommodate SIP
Trunking and in the process canalizing existing revenue.
• Number Routing Databases not standardized
– Provisioning IP data in intra vs inter carrier routing tables.
• In general operational issues related to OSS/BSS are
being lost in the shuffle.
• CONCLUSION : We still have a long way to go.
• Money is the answer what is the question ?