1. +Summer Reading ParentNightHosted by Kirby’s Mill and BCLS
2. +WelcomeThank you for joining ustonight!We hope that you leave informed,excited and prepared to helpyour child read more this summer.
3. +The Research What do researchers have to say about the importance ofsummer reading? “… the best predictor of summer loss or summer gain iswhether or not a child reads during the summer. And thebest predictor of whether a child reads is whether or not heor she has access to books.” Allington, Richard L. and McGill-Franzen, Anne.“Bridging theSummer Reading Gap,” Scholastic Instructor (2003,May/June).
4. +The Research What do researchers have to say about the importance ofsummer reading? “Regardless of ethnicity, socioeconomic level, or previousachievement, children who read four or more books overthe summer fare better on reading-comprehension tests inthe fall than their peers who read one or no books over thesummer.” Kim, Jimmy.“Summer Reading and the Ethnic AchievementGap,” The Journal of Education for Students Placed at Risk(2004).
5. +The Research What do researchers have to say about the importance ofsummer reading? “In a three-year study, researchers at the University of Tennessee,Knoxville, found that simply giving children access to books atspring Fairs – and allowing them to choose books that mostinterested them – had a significant effect, equivalent to three yearsof summer school, on the summer reading gap.” Allington, Richard L. and McGill-Franzen, Anne. (2003). Addressingsummer reading setback among economically disadvantagedelementary students. Reading Psychology, 31(5), 411-427 as cited byParker-Pope,Tara. (2010, August 2).“Summer Must-Read for Kids?Any book.” The NewYork Times.
6. +What Parents Can Do Scholastic Website Reading App Remind 101 text alerts Pinelands Branch Library
7. +Scholastic Website Games Book Lists Author Movies Book Trailershttp://www.scholastic.com/summerGo to the Kids Log InYou will use the username andpassword provided to you. You maychange it when you log in for thefirst time.
8. +Reading Apps An interactive reading stopwatch fortiming reading minutes Personal profile which features thetotal minutes a child has read for theday, week, and throughout the year Articles and daily tips for parents,which offer ideas to support growingreaders Book lists for ages 3-12, featuringrecommended titles for every kind ofreader
11. +Library Card – Unlocks manydoors! Signing up for a library card allows you access to a range offree services: Books, DVDs, CDs, Magazines, and More! Borrow from ourcollection of 850,000+ titles. Learning & Research.We have many online databases and learningtools just for kids! E-books to Download. Borrow and download e-books and e-audiobooks to your computer, smartphone, e-reader, or tablet. Public Computers and Wi-Fi Access. Use our computers for internetaccess and a variety of Microsoft applications. Or use our free wirelessservice. Museum Passes. Family passes are available for you to enjoy education,cultural enrichment, and fun at many of our local museums. Programs & Events. Attend any of our programs for free.
12. +BCL Website and App Use our website and/or app to request and renew items,manage your account, keep a reading list, sign up forprograms, and more! Website: www.bcls.lib.nj.us App: BCLS MobileBCLS Mobile - poweredby Boopsie
13. +Free e-books Borrow and download e-books and audiobooks to yourcomputer, smartphone or e-reader. Large collection of titles available for kids & teens www.ebooks.bcls.lib.nj.us Download using theOverdrive MediaConsole App
14. +Overdrive Media App Access e-books by using the Overdrive Media Console AppSearchBrowse
15. +Book Club in a Bag http://www.bcls.lib.nj.us/borrow-a-book-club Junior Classics,Tween, & Teen titles 10 books, study guide, clipboardOnline RequestForm
16. +Summer Reading Program/ Prizes This summer’s theme ,“DIG INTO READING”, is all about thewonders under our feet – sandy shores, root vegetables,buried treasure, evidence of ancient civilizations, burrowinganimals, fossils, and more! June 24th– August 16th Sign up to receive a summerreading packet, which includesa reading log. Read whatever you like – the choice is yours! Earn prizes for every 4 hours of reading. Prizes include: toys, books, Rita’s water ice coupons, or achance to enter the weekly gift card drawing.
17. +Special Events Fun programs at the Pinelands Library this summer: Live Animal Show (NJ Academy of Aquatic Sciences) Dino & Archeologist themed comedy/magic show Mad Science (Earthworks & Super Structures) Piccirillo Sciencetellers Abrakadoodle Art Knitting Club Lego Club Book Club Summer Reading Carnival at Freedom Park. Open to all ofthe Summer Reading Program participants.
18. +Book Lists Grade Level Choice – Lists created by the BCLS Scholastic - grouped by age Based on our Summer Reading Theme
19. +Remind 101 Sign up for Miss Danielle’s reminders with text or e-mail