Increased competition for mindshare / share of walletIncreased number of nonprofits – now 1.2 million vs. 800k ten years agoNumber of NP up – Giving USA 2011, The Center for Philanthropy at Indiana University, 2011Request for marketing – how many of the new NPOs are local compared to National or International? If we know the stat we want a box underneath the above stat showing the #. Also do we know how many NPOs fail in any given year? An estimate.
Constituents needs/expectations have changed…Engaging in more channels – we’re all omnivorous, meaning that all demographics are consuming from all different channelsExpect control over their experience – we’re all over-stimulated, and expect communication to be relevant and personalized to us…or else it’s just noise.Expect a two-way conversation – they want to interact! This is happening online – which is why online channels are growing dramatically faster than offline- this 2-way conversation means that constituents in many cases also want to communicate with their peers about you, so it’s not just you communicating to them, but them communicating back with you and communicating with their networks too!All generations, all channels Our Next Generation of American Giving research showed that younger generations are as likely to respond to a direct mail piece by giving online as by writing a check. Mobile is rising. And ultimately all of this is making it more difficult to attribute how constituents respond accurately. It’s a new paradigm.From prospects through wired wealthyIt’s not just across generations either. Our Wired Wealthy study proved it’s also across bands of giving potential. More than 65% of wealthy prospects are looking at your website before they make a first gift – what messages are they getting through different channels?Expect increased control of the channels We saw in our Next Generation study that there is significant variance between generations (but also within them) as to what kind of communications are appropriate from the nonprofits they support. And think about corporate examples like Netflix – you can get DVD’s in the mail, on a tablet device, or on your computer (even on your game console). People expect to get information where they want to get it.Online is the fastest growing segment Every day you wait to better integrate online and off is lost revenue. It’s been proved time and time again that multi channel integration has a significant impact on both acquisition costs and lifetime value. Our own research has shown that just using communication in multiple channels can increase Lifetime Value by 121% and increase first time donor renewal rates by almost 50%.Increase in constituent-driven fundraising Walk and run events have been around for a long time, but they have really taken off in the last 10-15 years. Not only that but individuals are finding more and more effective ways to fundraise directly on behalf of organizations on their own. Look at an organization like the Michael J. Fox Foundation that raises over 5 million annually just from individuals fundraising. And a lot of the growth is because of the ease of asking online – setting up a page, collecting gifts, telling friends on facebook.Ultimately, Constituents are more empowered and have increased expectations. The key to meeting those expectations is a strong Multi-Channel strategy.
Released February 2013, Data from over 3,144 NPOs,24 months of overall giving data Want to download? Sign up for NP Engage and download the report Online giving was up close to 11% in 2012 compared to 2011
What is constituent engagement? It’s the practice of (column A) which allows you to achieve (column B). Do this all while maintaining your brand integrity
In practice, it’s about engaging more deeply with each successive interaction with a constituent in a continuous, never-ending cycle. This starts with getting their attention – getting the right message in front of the right person in the right moment. Once you have that attention you want to drive them to engage. Luminate allows you to present more relevant offers to constituents by making those offers convenient, timely, and personal (for example: in the right channel, optimized for completion).But what makes Luminate particularly powerful is the integrated platform that then allows you to take that engagement deeper by expanding in the next step. It’s not enough to get attention and drive action, that is just beginning. Building real engagement means striking while the iron is hot and immediately offering more ways to engage to deepen the relationship.Once you have completed the cycle (and maximized a single engagement) it has to repeat. Because you’ve engaged more deeply you’ll see better engagement again next time you seek this constituent’s attention – be it through email, social media, or offline. And because all of the engagement data lives in a single integrated system you can optimize for each step of the way – using data driven strategies not possible without this integration.
So let’s go through that constituent engagement cycle in some visual examples…Here, let’s look at clients who are effectively getting attention in a multi-channel world: it’s about having great content in the right channels and with all the hooks to get it disseminated broadly, and get people to linger longer or take that extra step.Feeding America does a great job using Luminate. By leveraging the tools to easily build and customize donation forms to match gift levels and donor preferences, Feeding America provides supporters with an easy and personalizedway to donate online. With the ability to recommend on Facebook and the “Tell a Friend” feature, they are able continually extend organization’s reach resulting in online revenue increasing by 40% over 2 year periodNext is UNICEF USA – UNICEF worked with our User Experience team on a number of projects including a virtual gift store and mobile site. Their mobile optimized site won “best in class” from the Interactive Media Awards. Speaking of right message to right person a the right moment – UNICEF uses online channels as their key to disaster response fundraising with a great “emergency” version of their site that they can literally launch in minutes for any disaster. It points to donation forms that are preconfigured to accept funds for those emergencies. As a human service organization, you may or may not be in the disaster relief business, but having the ability to mobilize your audience and make changes on the fly is important for organizations like yours because the increasing demands for your service could become headline news tomorrow – you need to be ready to seize the moment!
Which brings us to driving engagement. Luminate gives you the ability to create multi-channel digital campaigns, to automate communications based on interactions, and to optimize your communication pathways to drive the best response. Multi-Channel engagement means using Multiple Touch Points: Allowing people to easily share their stories, sign up for events, donate or shop an e-store, and easily sign up to learn more. This means tracking constituent activity and then using that to create multiple relevant touch points to engage & cultivate constituents…This tracking and engagement doesn’t stop at your website or email – it needs to be SOCIAL! Let’s make it super convenient for people to get involved and share on their social networks Take a look at these great examples from Feeding America:- for example here’s a newsletter sign-up page and blog, with the ability for me to share or forward to a friend which supporters can complete without ever leaving facebook.The other aspect of multi-channel engagement that can’t be ignored is mobile – which this year is overtaking desktop and laptop computers as the most common way for people to access the internet! - let’s meet our constituents where they are – checking their mail while waiting in line at Starbucks or - Continuing the Unicef example and another from CARE – - these mobile sites are all about engagement, for example this volunteer sign up, action alerts, or donation forms that are mobile friendly.
Multiple touch points equates to better engagement. Here is an example of Loft’s Website, mobile, blog. There is consistency in brand, but allows the user to interact with the organization in different ways.
The final step in our cycle is Expansion – it’s about next steps, cross marketing and social sharing that you drive immediately following one engagement to spawn the next engagementCARE: driving advocates to then become social followers and donors.Or Vitamin Angels: shows once someone opts to sign up how easy it is for them to share your message with others. You could even customize it by the user to drive a more targeted next action.And then…the cycle starts over again!
Your annual fund is ongoing and raises funds to keep the door opens – to support the operating budget and sometimes special projects. We all know it can be far less exciting and attractive then a capital campaign, but it’s so much more important for the mission and impact of your organization--It is how you will find new planned giving donors, identify prospective major donors--It is how you will engage your supporters and respond quickly and efficiently to their preferences
The power of the platform is evident in the results. Luminate is the unchallenged leader in digital communications and fundraising for nonprofits. In 2011 Luminate clients used Luminate software and services to raise more than $1.35 billion online, send more than 4 billion email communications, power more than 32 million advocacy actions and manage relationships with more than 248 million constituents.In fact, Luminate’s online fundraising tools raised 3x what any other single tool or company raised in 2011.
1. 6/14/2013 Blackbaud Confidential 1The audio for this webinar will be broadcast through your computer. Once youjoin the presentation, a small audio broadcast box will appear on your screenand you will hear the host through your computer speakers.To join an Audio broadcast in WebEx, click on the Communicate menu in yourWebEx screen and select Join Audio Broadcast. If you are having problemsconnecting with the audio broadcast server you can still join using theteleconference. To join the teleconference follow the steps below:1.Leave the audio broadcast by clicking on Communicate > Leave AudioBroadcast.2.Get the teleconference number, click on Communicate > JoinTeleconference.If you are unable to listen to the audio through your computer and wish to dialinto the conference line, please use the information below:Teleconference information:Call-in toll-free number: 1-866-410-6539 (US)Conference Code #:
2. 6/14/2013 Footer 2GROW ONLINE FUNDRAISING WITH ANINTEGRATED APPROACH
3. 6/14/2013 Blackbaud Confidential 3• Non-profit Landscape• Online Fundraising Trends• Why an Integrated Approach isCritical• How Blackbaud Customers areAchieving SuccessAGENDA
5. 6/14/2013 Blackbaud Confidential 5# of Nonprofits43% since 2001Source: Giving USA 2011
6. 6/14/2013 Blackbaud Confidential 6CONSTITUENT ATTENTION IS INCREASINGLY SCARCE& DISTRIBUTED
7. 6/14/2013 Blackbaud Confidential 7ONLINE FUNDRAISING IS THRIVINGACCORDING TO BLACKBAUDS CHARITABLE GIVING REPORTMore good news - Online giving increased 13.7% for the three months endingJanuary 2013 as compared to the same period in 2012Even more good news – No matter what online benchmark study you lookat, revenue is growing, sustained giving is growing and housefile size is up
8. 6/14/2013 Blackbaud Confidential 8• More than half of donors received information fromtheir favorite charity via Web site (51%) and by email(52%)• Donors preferred to spread the word about theirfavorite charity by email (51%), Facebook (15%) andin person.• When looking for information, the web is a donors’top choice• Donors aged 50+ preferred visiting the web andreceiving email to stay in touchDid you know?• 86% say they visit websites before making a gift• Half say giving online is their preferred methodSUPPORTERS WANT TO BE ENGAGED ONLINENTEN Donor Engagement Benchmark Study 2012
10. 6/14/2013 Blackbaud Confidential 10WHY AN INTEGRATED APPROACH IS CRITICAL Online growth continues to outpace offline Retention is low and engagement isn’t multichannel A 10% change in retention can increase the life time value of a donor base up to 200%. To grow revenue you need to be diversified Online creates a pipeline of prospects, supporters and engagement Understand their complete view/preferences to create the right mix Donors want to be seen as partners and are increasingly looking for moremeaningful ways of expressing their support than just giving donations.
11. 6/14/2013 Blackbaud Confidential 11Lifetime Donor ValueDonor Value 12 MonthsNew Donor Renewal RateTHERE IS PROVEN VALUE IN INTEGRATED/MULTI-CHANNELENGAGEMENTSources: Study entitled “Integrating Online Marketing (eCRM) with Direct Mail Fundraising” by Convio and StrategicOneTraditional defined as offline use. Internet Enabled defined as both offline and eCRM use.34.4%50.9%Mail+48%Multi-Channel$96$187Mail+95%Multi-Channel$314$694Mail+121%Multi-Channel
12. 6/14/2013 Blackbaud Confidential 12• Online doesn’t replace direct mail and itdoesn’t cannibalize major gifts.• Online is about acquisition andretention.• Online fuels majorgifts, events, sustained giving, directmail, provides deeper engagement, andis the final piece in a multichannelstrategy• Online opens doors and deepensconstituent engagement.*And doesn’t mean more work, it meanssmarter workIT’S AND * NOT OROnline&SocialMiddle &Major GiftsDirect MailPlannedGivingCorporateGivingSpecialEventsGrants &FoundationSustainedGiving
13. 6/14/2013 Blackbaud Confidential 13If You Could…CONSTITUENT ENGAGEMENT MEANS• Anticipate your constituents’needs• Know their interests, passions& preferences• Offer more relevantinteractions & opportunitiesto engageYou Would… Improve acquisition& referrals Engage with constituents &the community Establish lifetime relationships Grow support & fundraising
14. 6/14/2013 Blackbaud Confidential 14APPROACH TO CONSTITUENT ENGAGEMENT ONLINEKeys to Effective Execution:1. Build on every conversation2. Create a fully integratedconstituent experience3. Get the most from eachchannel4. Data-driven strategies fortreatment based on theaudience
15. 6/14/2013 Blackbaud Confidential 15• Get the right message in front of the right person at the right moment.GETTING ATTENTIONKey Strategies: Web Content, Mobile Content, Social Hooks, SEO, Design
16. 6/14/2013 Blackbaud Confidential 16• Present an offer or promote a benefit that is convenient, timely andpersonal.DRIVING ENGAGEMENTKey Strategies: Multiple Touch Points, Multi-channel Campaigns, TriggeredPathways, Analytics & Optimization
18. 6/14/2013 Blackbaud Confidential 18• Strike while the iron is hot by promoting sharing and channelconversion.EXPANDING THE RELATIONSHIPKey Strategies: Next Steps, Cross Marketing, Social Sharing
19. 6/14/2013 Blackbaud Confidential 19Fundraising for Blackbaud clients in 2012:Email files grew 12.45%. All verticals sawgrowth.Fundraising continued double digit growthas sustainers and repeat donors grew 27% and20%, respectively. First time gifts grew 3%.20%27%11.6%Repeat DonorsSustainersTotal FundraisingHOW ARE BLACKBAUD CLIENTSDOING?
20. 6/14/2013 Blackbaud Confidential 20OUR CLIENTS LEAD THE MARKET
21. 6/14/2013 Blackbaud Confidential 21• Visit our websitehttps://www.blackbaud.com/online-marketing/luminate-online• Check out GUIDE Creative & our Design Portfoliohttp://www.guidecreative.com/work/• Subscribe to npEngagehttp://www.npengage.com/• Connect with usWANT TO LEARN MORE?
22. 6/14/2013 Blackbaud Confidential 22INTERESTED? GET IN TOUCH:Your Blackbaud Account Executive can set up a personalizeddiscussion of your situation.Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for a personaldemonstration today!