Abby's first 5 days!


Published on

Published in: Self Improvement
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

No Downloads
Total views
On SlideShare
From Embeds
Number of Embeds
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide

Abby's first 5 days!

  1. 1. Hi, I am new here! The story of me, Abigail Jean, making my way into this new world!
  2. 2. Here I am with my mama at 36 weeks, 1 day. We were headed to a Festivus party, a day before I put mama into labor. She kept telling people she thought I was going to come early, but she did not expect me this early.
  3. 3. On November 14 th mom went to work and came home that afternoon having some contractions. She assumed they were just Braxton Hicks contractions, but they just kept happening. Mom and dad went to their Newborn Care class in town, and the whole time dad was timing the contractions for mom (there is an app for that!). They were pretty often, and getting a bit stronger than a normal contraction. They called Kaiser when they got home and they told mama to rest and drink a lot for two hours, but they did not think she was in labor. Two hours later they called in and were told to come on down to Vallejo to get checked out.
  4. 4. They checked into the triage in Labor at Delivery at midnight and was checked out by the doctor right away. Turns out mama was 5 cm dilated and fully effaced! Holy moly, mom and dad were in shock that I was coming today! They admitted us into the hospital and we got our fancy birthing suite. Started making the calls and posted on Facebook (however, soon after their phones died, so no more updates for a long while!).
  5. 5. Mama really wanted to try a natural birth, but was not completely closed off on the idea of an epidural if things got bad. She managed to hold off until she was 7 cm dilated and had been having tear-producing contractions for quite some time. After 18 hours of labor, she asked for the epidural. It was a great relief for mom. She does not know she could have handled any more contractions that strong, or stronger, for the other 6 hours it takes for me to finally show my beautiful face. My mom and my Great Aunt Marian. She was upset that I chose to come after she left for work!
  6. 6. Here’s Aunt Sammy giving my mama some water. She was hooked to so many things, it was hard to read and hold the water.
  7. 7. Mom’s water still had not broken, so the Doogie Howser doctor did that for us. I am Not sure who this Doogie guy is, but mom says her resident doctor was really young! After the water was broken for the second time, they were not happy with the progression thus far (only 8cm), so they gave mom Pitocin to speed up the process. Here in the picture you can see all the things mom had put into her body! The Pitocin and I did not agree, and as Aunt Sammy and Dad were watching over mom and her monitors, my heart rate dropped to 90, and they all hit the “call nurse” button. Just as they did this, I was at 72, the whole entire team of nurses and doctors came running into our room.
  8. 8. Mama was in shock and truly did not know what was going on. She said it was nothing like what they show on TV- there was nothing calm about this situation. One doctor leaned over as he was wheeling out of the room to say that an emergency c-section was needed right away. Other than that, no one spoke to us, they were trying to get us ready. Mom was freaked out because no one was talking to her and she desperately needed daddy. She finally got caught daddy’s eyes and he spoke to her saying he was right there, but she could see the frightened look on his face, as well as Aunt Sammy’s. We arrived into the scary operating room and they transferred us to the most uncomfortable bed ever and put oxygen on mom as she was trying to ask where daddy was. Just then he came and to be by our side. At this point my heart rate came back up, so they elected to allow mom to deliver me on my own. Mom says even with the epidural the pain was horrible! As she pushed me out, dad was there coaching mama though the pain and gave updates on my progress! However, just as before, things got scary again when the docs said that my heart rate was going down again (turns out my cord was around my neck), but that gave mom the strength to work harder and faster to get me out!
  9. 9. After 24 hours of labor and an hour of pushing, I came into this world to meet my mom and dad. I was born at 4:14pm, weighing in at 6 pounds 4 oz and 19 ½ inches long. Mom and dad said I am beautiful and perfect!
  10. 10. Look how happy mom is to see me!
  11. 12. Doogie Howser and the nurse got mama all cleaned up as dad went out to tell the family that all was fine with us both. They transferred us back to our room to meet the rest of the family!
  12. 13. Here we arrive to meet Grandma, Grandpa and Aunt Sammy.
  13. 14. I may be tiny, but look at my moves!
  14. 16. Dad did not leave my sight. After my bath and check-up, he held me the whole time.
  15. 17. I have really long toes!
  16. 18. My happy mom and dad!
  17. 19. Here is my cousin Patience who has been wanting to meet me forever! Look at her smile! I just know that we are going to be the best of friends.
  18. 21. Even though I came early, I am pretty strong. Mom and dad says it is because I did Turbo Kick and weight training up until a few days before I arrived!
  19. 26. Today is the big day, we get to go home!
  20. 27. Here I am, ready to go home Thursday evening!
  21. 28. Here I am during my first day at home. I end up going back to the hospital tonight for some light therapy to clear up my jaundice and to watch my weight, but I am all better now!
  22. 29. Patience finally got to hold me on Friday. She was in heaven.
  23. 30. I like to think that I came early because my dad and his best friend had already arranged my marriage with baby Kanon (9 months old). I needed to meet my future husband while they were in town visiting from Colorado.
  24. 31. Mom and dad are so happy that I am here, and we are all learning to be a family together. They can’t wait to start showing me the world.