Vocational devlopment through microcredit & institutional networking
As a Chinese axiom goes…"Give a man a fish, and you have fed him once. Teach him how to fish and you
have fed him for a lifetime."
Indian Government has formed the National Skills Development Corporation….You as a microcredit
enterprise are giving the loan for Education…You also invest in supporting Startups at a very micro level…
different social organizations like “Shree Kutch Gujar Kshatriya Samaj” (SKGKS) working for identifying
and acting as a guarantor for the investment made for training the unskilled youth….
As about 4.5 crore Students or youth is in the age of 16 to 18 years. It’s very common that 40% of these
are dropouts from the school after class 8th. They either start earning or indulge in wasteful activities. If
this population directly involves itself as labor it loses the opportunity to get higher wages or get trained
for crucial skills according to their talents.
Organizations like Rotary International (RI) (a organization of Vocational Leaders & Philanthropists…)
functions in thousands of clubs around India. RI shares a goal of Education & community & economy
development. And works and functions very efficiently to achieve its goals.
Can there be a partnership between RI+ NSDC (government) + Rang De + SKGKS + Placement Agencies
1. Invest in Vocational Training for the Youth
2. Involve NSDC as a training institute
3. RI to take identification of the borrowers and act as a contingency agency in case there is a
4. SKGKS as identification of the borrowers and act as a grass root guarantor or Peer Pressure /
Faith restorers and influencer of group to motivate the borrowers to not default on repaying
loans & contingency agency in case there is a default.
5. Placement Agencies to facilitate employment or entrepreneurial characteristics of the trained
I propose that government should
1. Recognize vocational workshops such as Carpentry, Electrician, plumbing, craftsmanship, welder, weaver,
fitter, gemology, draftsmen etc. and give those benefits such as
a. Concession in tax
b. Simplified Access to loan’s from Nationalized and Scheduled banks
c. Subsides for moderation of their workshops and equipments
d. Impart the theory learning to such youths through nearby local IIIT’s & ITI’s for at least one month and
maximum two months.
If they do the following
2. Facilitate learning and impart “on the Job vocational training” to at least 5 individual youth in the age of
16 to 18 for at least 6 to maximum 12 months in his workshop
3. Enhances the skills of such employed youth with modernized equipments.
4. Involves NGO such as Rotary International in selecting and imparting training.
Rotary International and such other organizations will partly sponsor such youth and give ½ stipends to
such youth for the period 6 months to maximum 12 months. Part of the stipend would be paid by the
government of India, from the HRD ministry.
Benefits of the scheme
5. No cost to entrepreneurs and workshops owners.
6. Free labor to entrepreneurs and workshops owners for the stipulated time period thereby saving on the
cost of labor.
7. The youth undergoing this training will be skilled and can sustain him/her self and his /her family during
and after the training.
8. Trained and certified youth can apply to and get small loans from the nationalized and scheduled bank for
starting his/her own enterprise after the successful completion of the training.
9. The youth can himself be an entrepreneur and workshop owner and train the next batch of such needy
10. Reduction in wasteful activities and enhanced chances of employment with enhanced set of skills.
11. Build a strong and well nit self sustainable community
Benefit to the Government
12. Screening/ selecting/ supervision/ guidance and allocation of such needy youth by NGO’s such as Rotary
International to enterprising workshops based on the specific talent of the youth
13. Reduced spending as 1/2 of the stipend to such students & youth will be borne by Rotary International &
14. Trained and skilled workforce development
15. Self sustaining community & stronger Nation.
It’s Possible with this partnership to make a positive impact on many youths and unemployed men & woman
to contribute in building India & give growth a sustainable trajectory.
Anjar/ Kutch, Gujarat State