• Development of Windows 8 started before the
release of its predecessor, Windows 7, in 2009.
It was announced at CES 2011, and followed by
the release of three pre-release versions from
September 2011 to May 2012.
• On June 1, 2011, Microsoft unveiled Windows
8's new user interface as well as additional
features at both Computex Taipei and the D9: All
Things Digital conference in California.
• Initial release :- 1st August 2012
• General availability :- 26th October 2012
• License :- Proprietary Commercial
• Update Method :- Windows Update
• Versions’ Available :- Windows 8,
Windows 8 Professional,
Windows 8 Enterprise,
Windows 8 Run time
The two editions of Windows 8 that will be
for purchase by the average consumer are.
Windows 8 edition designed for the typical average user.
The Windows 8 Professional edition is designed for a
person with a more technical background
The Enterprise edition is designed for large collection of
computers that are under single management .
The Windows 8 Enterprise edition will contain all the
options available in the Professional edition, and also
include a few more advanced features.
The Windows 8 RT edition also will not be available to
the general public. The Windows 8 RT edition is
designed especially for Advanced RISC Machine (ARM)
Feature Windows 8 Windows 8 Pro Windows RT
windows 7H, B ,
Yes Yes No
windows 7(pro &
No Yes No
Drive Encryption No No Yes
Storage Spaces Yes Yes No
Yes Yes No
No Yes No
Trusted Boot Yes Yes Yes
Interface and desktop
• The new user interface is based on
Microsoft's Metro Design
Language(start screen is similar to
• The start screen displays ties of
which display constantly updated info
through “live tiles”.
The GUI of Windows 8 (CONTD.)
• Start leaves only most relevant elements on
• Cinematic letterbox layout – Horizontal layouts
instead of Vertical layouts.
• A vertical toolbar known as the charms provides
access to system and app-related functions.
• Leverage the charms, which can be brought up
on demand through a swipe from the right edge,
for invoking the search, share, devices, or
• There are five charms placed along the right
side of the display which will provide access to
the most common user functions. They are as
follows:Search charm will conduct a search of the PC or
Share allows for instant sharing of apps photos,
documents, links and more.
Start goes to the Start screen or last app opened.
Devices is used to send files to printers, TV, and
Settings is used to change system configurations
• Windows 8 introduces a new style of
application, Windows Store apps. According to
Microsoft developer Jensen Harris, these apps
are to be optimized
for touchscreen environments and will be more
specialized than current desktop applications.
• Windows Store apps run within a new set
of APIs known as the Windows Runtime, which
supports programming languages such
as C, C++,Visual Basic .NET, C#, along
• Bundled multimedia apps are provided under the Xbox
brand, including Xbox Music, Xbox Video, and the Xbox
SmartGlass companion for use with an Xbox
360 console. Games can integrate into an Xbox Live hub
app, which also allows users to view their profile
• Internet Explorer 10 is included as both a desktop
program and a touch-optimized app, and includes
increased support for HTML5, CSS3, and hardware
• Windows 8 also incorporates improved support
for mobile broadband; the operating system can now
detect the insertion of a SIM card and automatically
configure connection settings (includingAPNs and carrier
branding), track and reduce bandwidth use on metered
• There are now two types of Login accounts used
in Windows 8 - Local User account and
Microsoft Login Account
• The Microsoft login account is based upon an
email user name and password, and it will
automatically connect to the Internet or “Cloud”
during the logon process.
• Windows Azure is a cloud computing platform
and infrastructure, created by Microsoft, for
building, deploying and managing applications
and services through a global network of
• Windows Azure has been described as a "cloud
layer" on top of a number of Windows Server
systems, which use Windows Server 2008 and a
customized version of Hyper-V, known as the
Windows Azure Hypervisor to provide
virtualization of services.
Boots (Trusted Boot)
• Two security features have been integrated into
the Windows 8 operating system called Trusted-
Boot and Measured-Boot.
• Trusted boot basically only allows digitally
signed software to boot and run on the computer
device. Trusted-Boot is also referred to as
• If the user wants to allow an “unauthorized”
access to a known device by by-passing the
Trusted-Boot feature is referred to as jail
breaking or rooting
Boots (Measured Boot)
• Measure Boot is another new security feature
that works with the Trusted Platform Module
TPM. Measured Boot verifies the successful
launch of the operating system, and then stores
the information in the TPM chip
• The Measured boot feature ensures that the
computer or other device is equipped with a up-
to-date anti-malware (antivirus) software
• The Trusted Boot and the Measured Boot
features have been designed to ensure that the
operating system is not infected with malware.
• New security features in Windows 8 include two
new authentication methods tailored towards
touchscreens (PINs and picture passwords),the
addition of capabilities to Windows
Defender, Smart Screen filtering integrated into
• Family Safety offers Parental controls, which
allows parents to monitor and manage their
children's activities on a device with activity
reports and safety controls.
• Windows 8 supports a feature of
the UEFI specification known as "Secure boot",
which uses a public-key infrastructure to verify
the integrity of the operating system and prevent
unauthorized programs such as bootkits from
infecting the device
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.