• Ernest and Julio Gallo, brothers born in 1909 and 1910
respectively, started the E. & J. Winery in September of
• The brothers got their inspiration from their father,
Joseph Gallo Sr., who founded the Gallo Wine
• The young men taught themselves the art of wine-
making after their father killed himself
• The E. & J. Gallo Winery was opened in Modesto,
California, and began as a small building with no
• The winery’s production more than doubled in the
first year, from 177,847 gallons to 440,000 gallons
• In 2009, the E. & J. Gallo Winery celebrated its 75th
anniversary as a family-owned winery
• The company has felt that family ownership is the most
effective way for the winery to continue as a world leader
in the wine industry
• The family tradition is carried on of having a “strong work
ethic, a drive for perfection, and a focus on quality”
• 1942 the winery acquired the Valley Agricultural Company
• 1943 moved bottling operations from Los Angeles to
• 1946 Gallo trademark becomes registered in most states
• 1954 winery purchases Cribari Winery in Fresno, Calif.
• 1971 winery purchases half of Frei Brothers Ranch in
• 1983 first international Gallo office opened in London
• 2002 company purchases Louis M. Martini Winery in Napa
and Mirassou Vineyards in Monterey
• 2004 company buys Bridlewood Estate Winery
• 1966- first sparkling wines introduced (Eden Roc and
• 1974- company introduces varietal wines and E. & J. Brandy
• 1983- first vintage-dated wines released
• 1984- Bartles and Jaymes Wine Coolers released
• 1993- Gallo Estate Wines presented (super-premium)
• 1996- introduced Ecco Domani (first foreign-based brand
imported by Gallo)
• 2005- winery purchases Barefoot Cellars Brand
• 2009- company buys Spanish brand Las Rocas
Awards and Recognitions
The Gal l o Winer y has w on t hese aw ar ds and compet it ions as
w el l as many mor e:
• In 1966, the Gallo Winery was recognized as the largest winery in the U.S.
based on sales volume
• Awarded the “Premio Gran VinItaly” (International Winery of the Year) by
the VinItaly International Wine Competition in 1998, 2001, and 2002
• Named Winery of the Year by the San Francisco International Wine
Competition1996, 1998, 2001
• Named the “Winery of the Century” by the Los Angeles County Fair in 1999
• Named the “Best American Wine Producer” by the International Wine and
Spirits competition based in London in 2000
• Named “American Winery of the Year” by Wine Enthusiast Magazine 2002
• Received the International Standards Organization’s ISO 14001
Certification in 2005
Named the “Importer of the Year” by Wine Enthusiast in 2007
Inf l ence and Range
• The Gal l o Wi ner y i s t he l ar gest w i ner y i n t he w orl d
• The w i ner y h ad bui l t “an empi r e by shapi ng
A mer i can dr i nk i ng t astes w i t h i nexpensi ve non-
v i nt age w i nes”
• The company has i ntr oduced 16 di f f er ent br ands of
w i ne and has cor ner ed mor e t han 25% of t he mar k et
• The w i ner y mak es mor e w i ne t han al l of A ust r al i a or
al l of t he Bor deau x Regi on i n Fr ance
• Jul i o Gal l o pi oneer ed th e u se of st ai nl ess st eel w i ne-
mak i ng vat s and t he technol ogy of usi ng computer s
for w i ne-bl endi ng ( combi ni ng w i nes)
• T he Gal l o Wi ner y ow ns nearl y hal f of t he v i neyar d
acr eage i n Cal i for ni a
• T he company has annual r ev enues of about $1 bi l l i on
• T he Gal l o Wi ner y w as a major par t i ci pant i n t he shi f t
of w i ne fr om t he st r eet s i nto af ﬂ uent homes
Charters, Steve. "Wine in the Modern World." Encyclopedia of Food and Culture. Ed. Solomon H. Katz.
Vol. 3. New York: Charles Scribner's Sons, 2003. 557-561. Gale Virtual Reference Library. Web. 21 Feb.
E. & J. Gallo Winery. Web. 08 Feb. 2010. <http://gallo.com/>.
"Gallo, Ernest and Julio." Compton's by Britannica. Encyclopædia Britannica Online School Edition.
Encyclopædia Britannica, 2010. Web. 10 Feb. 2010. <http://school.eb.com/all/comptons/article-9311360>.
Pennock, Pamela E. "Wine Industry." Dictionary of American History. Ed. Stanley I. Kutler. 3rd ed. Vol. 8.
New York: Charles Scribner's Sons, 2003. 486-488. Gale Virtual Reference Library. Web. 21 Feb. 2010.
"US: E&J Gallo Winery buys Las Rocas." just-drinks.com(2009). Business and Company ASAP. Web. 21
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.