Utilizing your University of Arkansas alumni
connections to achieve your career goals.
Your degree from the University of Arkansas is a valuable investment that you made in your educa on and professional
development. Individuals who rely only on the degree’s value to aid in their career success are failing to recognize the
power of the network of over 120,000 University of Arkansas graduates who can be an addi onal resource for them.
For those who have the degree and know how to properly network with fellow alumni, they realize that they are not
alone and that other alumni want them to succeed as well!
Find an Opportunity
Razorback Career Link (careerlink.uark.edu)
Your primary tool to use for loca ng opportuni es for U of A students and alumni.
Access for alumni is a beneﬁt of membership in the Arkansas Alumni Associa on.
Razorback CareerLink allows you to look for job opportuni es, sign up for on‐campus
events (interviews, career fairs, informa on sessions, etc.), upload your resume and
access addi onal resources.
The NACELink Network is an addi onal tool available within Razorback CareerLink. This is
the largest network of college and university career centers and includes over ﬁve million
employers. For example, there are presently over 500 jobs online based in NWA.
Network, Network, Network!
Networking is the most misunderstood tool for job seekers. It is not a mere exchange of business
cards, but it is strategically iden fying and developing rela onships that can help you improve your
success of naviga ng the career search process.
How to network:
1. Iden fy your goal (to meet people that: work at XYZ company, are hiring managers, work in a par cular ﬁeld/
loca on, etc.).
2. Iden fy the list of talking points you would have with one of these contacts (what are the corporate values, what
experience best helped them, if they have advice on naviga ng the applica on process, do they know the hiring
3. U lize LinkedIn (see reverse) and other online tools like an alumni directory (see reverse) to iden fy U of A alumni
who meet your objec ves.
4. Request to make contact with these individuals to learn more about their experience and seek their advice.
5. Once you are connected, ask for an informa onal interview either in person, by phone or over e‐mail (in‐person or
by phone is recommended). Set a day/ me and me period.
6. Prepare by researching your new network connec on and their company. Also prepare your list of ques ons.
7. Conduct your informa onal interview using the ques ons you developed. Keep within your scheduled
8. Follow‐up with a thank you note and keep in touch with your networking contact and let them know how your
career search proceeds. Also be sure to let them know if something they did or if their advice helped you.
Network on LinkedIn
Networking with University of Arkansas alumni is a great tool for your career. You share
the University of Arkansas experience and alumni o en love connec ng with students.
How to connect on LinkedIn:
1. Sign up at www.linkedin.com.
2. Build your proﬁle (remember this is your professional online presence).
3. Request to connect with individuals (Tip: use the Advanced Search and place “University of Arkansas at
Faye eville” in quota ons in the ins tu on ﬁeld. Then search for the company name or by keyword.)
4. When reques ng a connec on, always personalize the message that is sent. Explain why you would like to connect
and who you are.
5. Once connected, send a message thanking the individual and asking if you can visit with them in person (if nearby)
or by phone or e‐mail to learn more about their career and the organiza on for which they work.
Network through Forever Arkansas
U lizing Forever Arkansas will allow you to search an online directory of all living,
addressable alumni. Online directory searches are a great supplement to networking on
LinkedIn in addi on to loca ng alumni who: have a par cular major, live in a speciﬁc area or
work at a speciﬁc organiza on. Access to the online directory search is available to members
of the Arkansas Alumni Associa on (students also have access as members of the Student
Alumni Associa on).
Use Twitter to Find Information and People
Twi er is a great tool for you to use to locate more informa on that can help you navigate
the job applica on process. Set up a Twi er account and make sure it is a professional
representa on. Then, follow individuals whom you have met through networking and who
work for par cular organiza ons or ﬁelds. Addi onally, you should follow the Arkansas
Alumni Career Network feed (#AACN) by saving a search for #AACN. Ar cles, ps, links and
job alerts are shared through this feed.
Alumni of the University of Arkansas have the ability to stay connected with each other,
have access to communica ons, programs and services that can help power your career!
The Arkansas Alumni Associa on is the organiza on that seeks to keep 120,000 living
U of A alumni connected across the globe! New graduates receive a year’s membership as
the Associa on’s way to celebrate gradua on with you. Recent graduates (up to 5 years
from gradua on) enjoy a reduced membership of $25/individual. A er that, membership
dues are $45/individual annually and are tax‐deduc ble. Call 1‐888‐275‐2586 or join
online at www.arkansasalumni.org/join.
For More Information: www.arkansasalumni.org/career
Dr. Anthony McAdoo, Senior Director Laurel Draudt, Assistant Director
email@example.com—(479) 575‐2801 firstname.lastname@example.org—(479) 575‐2801
Twi er: @amcadoo