1. The WolfThe wolf is a type of dog they live all around the world in placeslike Africa, Europe, Canada & more.Wolves come in many colours brown, white, black, tan, red &grey.There are 4 main species of wolf the Red wolf, Ethiopian wolf,Maned wolf and the Grey wolf who has lots of subspecies.
2. Red wolf EthiopianThe Red Wolf lives in warm places wolfobviously it gets its name from itscolour reddy brown. The Red Wolf isquiet rare, in 1970 the population had The Ethiopian wolf lives in Ethiopiadwindled to less than 100 animals they Africa this dog gets its name frombecame extinct in the wild by 1980. where it lives.They have since been reintroduced Ethiopian Wolves are reddish withback to the wild, through captive a white underside and a tip onbreeding programs. their tail.
3. Maned Grey Wolf Wolf The grey wolf is the biggest of the wolves today it lives all over the world mostly inThe Maned wolf lives in Bolivia the snow.and Uruguay. It is red and gets There are about 37 sub species of greyit name because it has a black wolf. Wolf subspecies are divided intomane down it’s back, they are two categories:very rear as well. Northern wolves: which inhabit North America, Europe and northern Asia Southern wolves: native to North Africa, the Arabian Peninsula and South Asia. Grey wolves are different shades of grey.
4. Living togetherWolves live in groups called packs. A pack is usually 6-7 wolves. In the packthey all help each other to survive. They all hunt together; two wolves pushthe prey while the rest try to surround it.
5. Raising PupsIn the pack only the dominant male & female breed. They breed in late winterso the pups are born in spring. In the litter there are usually 4-6 pups. The pupsare born with black fur and blue eyes. Pups are born in a den like hollow log or acave.Pups leave the den when they are 1 month old. The other wolves surround andhowl to meet them when they come out, they all wag their tails and lick eachother.Pups play a lot. Play fights make pups fit and strong and they find their ownranks like that. They nip the bigger wolves ears and tails, they also like topounce on sticks & stones
6. CommunicationWolves don’t howl and themoon stupid! They do it tocommunicate. Wolves alsowhimper and yelp they usetheir tails and facialexpressions too.
7. HistoryDog like mammals have existed for about 37 million years. The Dire wolf livedover 10,000 years ago it was bigger that the grey wolf and it had teeth that couldbreak Mammoth bones. Eucyon lived about 8 million years ago. It lived on the plains of North America it was the ancestor of the wolves, coyotes & jackals.
8. Hunting and DietWolves hunt lots of animals and sometimes people their main prey are hoovedanimals like deer, if they must they will hunt rodents.One or two wolves push the prey while the others surround it, the wolves bitethe preys neck so it loses blood & air then it dies.
9. Fear of the WolfYou’ve heard the stories, Little Red Riding Hood, The three little pigs, the boy whocried wolf. Well they’re wrong, wolves don’t eat people and they can’t blowdown houses. And werewolves? You’ve got to be kidding, they’re not real.Historically people have posed the biggest threat to Wolves and not the otherway round. Wolves have been hunted, trapped, poisoned & shot to nearextinction. They used to be the most widely distributed mammal in the world.Now there numbers are greatly reduced and many are still under threat ofextinction. Today the wolf is a protected animal.