William and Mary‟s College and Experience Born in a log Cabin in Virginia John Marshall. Oldest of 15 KidsReading Poems and Stories from William Henry Brown, 1844. his dad‟s collection Lithograph. The Library of Virginia
WittyIntelligent Sincere John MarshallCharming Persuasive Well- Spoken
This means that he gave the Supreme Court thepower to look at previous court cases, laws, and acts of the president to make sure they don‟t contradict the Constitution. It made the Supreme court a protector of people‟s Constitutional Rights and the ability to make more decisions.
During the Election of1800, John Marshallwas both the Secretaryof State, and the ChiefJustice
• John Adams lost the Election and Thomas Jefferson Won LOSER WINNER!!!!
Adams Was Not Happy, but decided to makeone last move as President.He made sure a judicial Act would passthrough congress. that let him appoint morejudges and spent his last night in officewriting out appointments
• The Secretary of State, who was John Marshall for one more day had to put the US seal on appointments to make them official, it was also his job to deliver them. He ran out of time though and figured, eh, it‟s ok, the next Secretary of state can do it tomorrow.
I don‟t want Adam‟s people in office! They didn‟t deliver the letters. Noone knows who got the jobs. I demand that you, Madison, my new Secretary of State, DO NOT DELIVER THOSE LETTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
• MADISON HAPPENED TO STILL BE A CHIEF JUSTICE ON THE SUPREME COURT
• The Supreme Court ruled that while Marbury had the right to his commission, the act that congress voted in for Jefferson to make the appointments was unconstitutional
• Therefore, Marbury never got the position as judge.
• BUT!, this was important, because Marshall‟s reasoning and persuasion made it possible for the Supreme Court to decide whether or not a case is constitutional, and therefore gave the supreme court the power to prevent tyranny and protect people‟s rights. This was called JUDICIAL REVIEW.
The US Supreme Court threw out a case because a person didn‟t get to go through the due process of law, and incriminated himself because he didn‟t have a lawyer. Thus police now have to give Miranda Rights The Court decided that state laws requiringseparate but equal schools violated the EqualProtection Clause of the FourteenthAmendment. Therefore his decision affectedCivil Rights
They make more They have a nice People consider money building them when voting for president They are a big part of the Check and Balance System„
• He continued to be a • Until he got sick, and judge died in an accident when a stagecoach he was riding in turned over on it‟s side
“To listen well is as powerful a means of communicationand influence as to talk well”
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.