Data Quality and the User's Experience: Google Books "Find in a Library"

973 views
864 views

Published on

Using the framework of the recent WorldCat Quality report and a sample of titles that circulated from PittCat, quantitatively assesses the user's success rate starting in Google Books and switching into a specific library catalog using the "Find in a library" feature and OCLC WorldCat holdings information.

Published in: Technology, Education
0 Comments
0 Likes
Statistics
Notes
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

No Downloads
Views
Total views
973
On SlideShare
0
From Embeds
0
Number of Embeds
1
Actions
Shares
0
Downloads
6
Comments
0
Likes
0
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide

Data Quality and the User's Experience: Google Books "Find in a Library"

  1. 1. Global Council Webinar January 27, 2011 Karen CalhounPrepared for ULS Technical Services and Systems Staff and OCLC Visitors February 1, 2012
  2. 2.  Library Professionals ◦ Catalogers ◦ Librarians of all types General Web Users ◦ Expert searchers ◦ End users (I just want to get stuff) Machines (cross-system connections)
  3. 3. Get itDiscover it here thereHigh traffic sites Holders of content LIKE GOOGLE SCHOLAR LIKE PITT ULS
  4. 4.  Our catalogs continue to be used. 65% of information requests originate off- campus; the other 35% originate on campus mainly during class hours External sites drive a lot of traffic to our websites. Google is the top referrer. Page 4. http://conservancy.umn.edu/bitstream/48258/3 /DiscoverabilityPhase1Report.pdf
  5. 5. Success (quality) in navigating fromdiscovery to delivery relies on:• Basic bibliographic data elements• Reliable holdings data• Accurate linking data that stitches different systems together (often, this data is numeric)• Authentication (for licensed content)
  6. 6.  Data quality issues affecting the end user’s discovery and delivery experiences  Putting the world in WorldCat  Managing duplicates  “Parallel records”  Reproductions and reprints  Holdings “scatter”http://www.oclc.org/reports/worldcatquality/214660usb_WorldCat_Quality.pdf
  7. 7. 10 library holding symbols are on this record (but not Less visibility and utility of library assets Pitt’s) represented in WorldCat OCLC numbers less effective in “switching” users from records in WorldCat to records in local catalogs http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/254256771 (This is the record that Google Books links to)
  8. 8. 244 library holdings are on this record (including Pitt’s)http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/57640223
  9. 9. GLIMIR = Global LIbrary Manifestation IdentifieR• Uses algorithms to cluster records for parallel records and for reproductions• Ameliorates “holdings scatter”• In practice this means … • Cleaner displays of search results • Better linking to local catalogs WHAT?
  10. 10. Google Books PittCat (via WorldCat)
  11. 11.  Sample of titles that circulated the week of October 16-22, 2011 (3,760 items) Thanks to Barbara H. , Elvia A-R. and Heidi C. How successful is the user at starting with Google Books and getting to PittCat holdings and services? Focus on printed books At 90% confidence level, margin of error of these results is + or – 5%
  12. 12. Start in Google Books Find holdings in WorldCat End in Pitt’s catalog
  13. 13. Circulations 221 Examined Found in Google 92.3% Books English Language 90.1% ContentTop reasons not found in Google Books: non-English; this editionnot found; non-book
  14. 14. “Find in a library link” 94.0%present in Google Books“Find in a library link” 6.0%missing
  15. 15. ISBN is present* 96.6%Item was digitized 23.5%in GB LibraryProject*Percentage of ISBNs present would have been muchsmaller if sample had been drawn from collection asat large, rather than from items that circulated.
  16. 16. Pitt is in WCat library 78.8% holdings list Link to PittCat is 74.4% successful*Top reason for Pitt’s not being in WCat library holdings list:issues with representation of Pitt holdings in WCatTop reason for unsuccessful conversion to PittCat fromWCat holdings list: absent/non-matching ISBN in Pitt record *If user is searching from inside Pitt network (on- campus), link to PittCat is successful 94% of the time.
  17. 17. “You are connected to the Univ of Pittsburghnetwork” … provides option to do on-the-fly ISBN searchof PittCat.
  18. 18.  Google Books provides good coverage of English-language materials that circulate at Pitt Google Books provides the “find in a library link” most of the time There is room to improve the representation of Pitt’s holdings in WorldCat The quality of the data supporting linking and delivery is as important, if not more important, than the data elements supporting discovery

×